It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Tex Burns To The Ground!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Big Tex, The Texas State fair's iconic giant talking cowboy, caught fire and burned Friday morning.

Oh the humanity!

At the time of this posting, this was a live feed...
www.nbcdfw.com...

I tried to insert a picute of it buring but couldn't...
edit on 19-10-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/19/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All Caps Title.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

How did it catch on fire?

The pic you showed reminds me of this.

en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps somebody missed the annual event this year?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
free tibet

where were these guys at....local.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
After OU's dominance on the field Saturday at the cotton bowl....i am not surprised....

BOOMER SOONER!!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Looks like the burning man comes early. Was there a bunch of half naked people running around and driving home made cars?
Im not from texas so i dont feel a personal loss over this.

I actually think they should have thrown a party around it and sent it out in style.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
There's nothing left but a steel skeleton. I think they should go with it and tunr him in to a giant zombie for Halloween!

I havn't heard what caused the fire. I did see a picture that showed it starting around the neck area.

Now then, before too much grass grows under our feet... there just has to be some symbolic or predictive element to Big Tex burning... what could it be?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It wasn't done with exploding golf balls was it? Looks like somebody went for the 10X bonus at Armadillo Al's Demolition Driving Range.

(It's terrible of me to be reminded of that "Links Extreme" videogame by this, isn't it?)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
They already have a replacement for "Big Tex"....Ladies and germs, please allow me to introduce you to "Big Mex"

Affectionately known as "Grande de Tejas"

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You'll notice that Big Tex is a steel-framed structure that did not sustain any structural steel damage from the fire.

Texans will no doubt demand a full investigation and commission report, despite the fact that it did not collapse and nobody was hurt.

Undoubtedly, the great state of Texas will catch the box-cutter-wielding evil-doers if George W. has to get in 'hot pursuit' himself.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I was there last night, so I was really sad to hear this morning that he was no more.

They'll rebuild and have an even better Big Tex for next year's fair. He was 60 years old anyways. He probably needed some major upgrades.

For anyone not familiar with him or the state fair, both he and the Texas Star Farris Wheel are the main two icons of the fair in Dallas (well, outside of the UT/OU game). He talks to passerbys. There's a guy that sits in a tent/booth just behind him that will single out people in the crowd and tell them to use a napkin or to straighten their shirt or something. Its always a laugh and good fun.

My mom worked out there this year and is close friends with a man that owns many booths. He's heard that it was an electrical fire (started in the head area, around where his mouth moves), and the fabric just allowed the fire to spread rapidly. She was telling me today that workers around him had commented to her a week or so ago about how he just didn't seem right this year. His mouth wouldn't move as well with the words and things like that. I even noticed that last night. So I guess they were probably having problems with him prior to today.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
And now the Stratosphere ride is stuck at the top. Been there for over 45 minutes with a ride full of people stranded.
And Texas A&M had a bomb threat and the campus was evacuated. What next? The Texas grid going down?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
That sucks. That was a historic icon to many. If they re do it, I hope it lasts another 60 years.
Man that skeleton must have been pretty strong to avoid a free fall collapse. hmmmm.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

I had thought burning man was going on when I first caught a glimpse on the news, I suppose it's better it happened towards the end of the fair instead of the beginning here's hoping Big Tex makes a full recovery for next year!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Fog Horn leg horn say's Big Tex isn't playing fair anymore, State fair that is....

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
And now this: goliaddental.net...

Look at the marketing poster. Big and Bright indeed! How prophetic.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123

Reminds me of that song...

"Good Gracious! Great Balls of fire!"

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This page has a photo montage of Big Tex through the years for those who don't know what he looked like before the Big Burn.

www.nbcdfw.com...

He's kinda freaky looking like Chucky. Could have been Chucky's dad. I bet he gave lots of kids nightmares. I'm glad he burned after seeing these pictures. Perhaps they will replace him with something less homely. Now, Big Mex there would be a good replacement.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

Can't Texans be more original? We burn "old man gloom" every year and have been doing it since 1924.

Where do you think the idea for burning man came from? Burnin Zozobra is one of the biggest parties in America.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join