It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

millenium gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Lockheed martin missiles and fire control are delevoping a deck gun that shoots a wave of fire around a the warship protecting it from incoming anti -ship missiles. Its called the millenium gun its being developed for the uk navy, i think.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Any sources to support your claim?

If not heres a few related articles:

defence-data.com...

www.navlog.org...

www.dtic.mil... (go to page 42).

there you guys go, very interesting stuff.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Go to lockheedmartin.com, then go to customers, then go to united kingdom, then go to weapons systems. At the time I wrote the post I had to get of the computer soon so I wasn't able to check every thing out at the time, next time I won't rush my post

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hehe...both of my parent work for Lockheed Martin....and if you think the Millenium Gun...developed by Lockheed Martin Maritime Systems....is crazy...just wait...they are developing laser-type weapons for two of the upcoming JSF airplane.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The M.Gun's specs are here:

The Millennium Gun, a naval deck weapon system, delivers inner-layer defense against sea-skimming antiship missiles, antiradiation missiles, and aircraft. It is also effective against fast-attack surface craft and near-shore targets during operations in littoral and riverine waters. Creating a "wall of lead," the Millennium Gun fires 35-mm ammunition, including the advanced Ahead round, at 1,000 rounds per minute. Each Ahead round disperses 152 metal subprojectiles. Forming a cone-shaped pattern, the subprojectiles destroy a target's control surfaces, seeker and other vital equipment components as a target moves through the wall of lead. The gun's muzzle brake programs each Ahead round as it exits the barrel, setting distance and subprojectile dispersal pattern.

To go along with it..they also developed the Aegis Weaponry System. simultaneously attack land targets, submarines, and surface ships while automatically implementing defenses to protect the fleet against aircraft and missiles.The system is capable of countering all existing and emerging threats to a naval battle group, as well as striking inland targets.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
God..........we could have used a couple of these in the Falklands.......Bloody hell...showing my age now!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTheCat
God..........we could have used a couple of these in the Falklands.......Bloody hell...showing my age now!

lol bet u could have , that was a nasty war.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTheCat

It just amazes me that the blokes in the Head Shed didn't think that a vessel floating not far off the coast full of Para's would be an easy target for the Argie jets. These guys were defenceless. The only help they got were from the para's on in the hills with small arms, oh and the trio of SAS where one bent over as an improvised tripod and the other two used their HMG to shot the Argies.

The Falklands had a large number of screwups in the Intel department. Geez the Argies were flying in from the mainland for their stikes and teh Harriers 'weren't given enough time to get in the air' - not to mention BBC broadcasting troop movement on their world radio network; because of this a Chinook or two loads of Argie troops deployed before a major attack.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
they were Welsh Guards not Para's. It is as a direct consequence of lessons learned in the falklands that money is being spent on systems for close in protection.

join