It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GATHERING, BLATHERING and SMATHERING!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wake up in the morning and start my day the same way. I first tell my wife good morning beautiful, then I have a cup of coffee and some eggs and toast and bacon or sausage with a small glass of juice. Then I turn on my computer and begin my ritual of checking various websites for updates on Worldly news, sports, weather, earthquakes, etc. Eventually, I may venture to the bathroom for relief, might even check out some adult material, then I proceed to ATS.

Like many of you I seem to be addicted to certain behaviors and coming to ATS is currently one of my obsessions in life. Up until recently I have been an observer, have been dealing with neuropathy for the better part of 3 years, so I have avoided doing much typing or writing, it's been very difficult to write or type. But, I finally came to the realization, since I am going to feel this pain anyway, I might as well just say screw it and do the best I can. It might take me a little longer than most and I might have to pause a few times, but eventually I will get it done.

So, you say this doesn't sound like much of a rant, ah ....................I spend most of my day doing this..........GATHERING, I gather here, there and everywhere, occasionally I do some of this, BLATHERING.....and for some reason, every once in a while, I am forced to do some SMATHERING.

Gathering, blathering and smathering. They may be words you are familiar with, at least 2 of them. The 3rd one may have a different meaning than the one I have in mind. Semantics,

Semantics (from Greek: sēmantiká, neuter plural of sēmantikós)[1][2] is the study of meaning. It focuses on the relation between signifiers, such as words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotata. Linguistic semantics is the study of meaning that is used to understand human expression through language. Other forms of semantics include the semantics of programming languages, formal logics, and semiotics. The word semantics itself denotes a range of ideas, from the popular to the highly technical. It is often used in ordinary language to denote a problem of understanding that comes down to word selection or connotation. This problem of understanding has been the subject of many formal inquiries, over a long period of time, most notably in the field of formal semantics. In linguistics, it is the study of interpretation of signs or symbols as used by agents or communities within particular circumstances and contexts.[3] Within this view, sounds, facial expressions, body language, and proxemics have semantic (meaningful) content, and each has several branches of study. In written language, such things as paragraph structure and punctuation have semantic content; in other forms of language, there is other semantic content.[3] The formal study of semantics intersects with many other fields of inquiry, including lexicology, syntax, pragmatics, etymology and others, although semantics is a well-defined field in its own right, often with synthetic properties.[4] In philosophy of language, semantics and reference are closely connected. Further related fields include philology, communication, and semiotics. The formal study of semantics is therefore complex. Semantics contrasts with syntax, the study of the combinatorics of units of a language (without reference to their meaning), and pragmatics, the study of the relationships between the symbols of a language, their meaning, and the users of the language.[5] In international scientific vocabulary semantics is also called semasiology.

So, when I am reading different post, I am GATHERING, when I am responding to different posts I am BLATHERING and when I am forced to deal with jerks I am SMATHERING!

The gathering and blathering are fun, the smathering is not. I have to admit that I become rather enraged by the hatred and idiotic responses to the poster, who most times has made an effort to share something and instead of making helpful suggestions certain replies are just mean spirited. I found myself responding to a few of these last night, I regret my responses But, I can not undo what I said, just try to learn from my mistake.

From now on, when I decide to gather and blather it will be without the smather. My advice to any of you that manage to gather my post, is if you decide to respond to any post, treat others the way you would want to be treated if you take the the time to create a post. There is no place for hatred. And while I did respond to those last nite, it was not in hatred that I did so, it was in disbelief of the audacity certain people have when they do respond. I have to remind myself not to take it personal, but that is hard to do when it is my post they are doing it on.

There are different levels of intelligence and age that come in here, different levels of spiritual enlightenment, and all are anonymous and faceless without any reason to worry about consequences, however, I am of the belief that KARMA can be a bitch when she has to be. I will let her deal with the hatred/idiots.

Sincerely,

Ascension211

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ascension211

When you are forced to smather because you are unwilling to broaden your mind enough to accept that perhaps their views arn't as repugnant as you believe them to be? There's also the possibility of IGNORING THEM. I know, it's an astounding solution, but I find it works quite well.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi Ascension211,

I have just gathered your blather and decided to blather back to you that your words are the hammer which hits the nail in.

Have a great day and take it easy

Much respect

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Mmmm. smathering?
we usually just call them trolls,and try to ignore them!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

There are a few who just dont think before they post, and probably regret what they said when they calm down. i think we all do it now and again.

BUT!!!
For some, rude and insulting behaviour is what they enjoy and the reason they come here, you can easily spot these people because they take every opertunity to upset the poster/thread.
I usualy make one reply to these people and observe their reaction. Then I ignore them.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It was my desire to respond to every reply and I just have to learn that is not necessary. I did not want to offend anyone by being selective and made the mistake of giving them satisfaction for their behavior. Wont happen again I assure you.

Thank the last 4 blatherers for their replies.

Ascension211

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Where I live we have a different definition of the word smathering. It means something like a little bit- loosely scattered. For example, a waiter at a restaurant asks you if you'd like some freshly grated parmesan cheese on your lasagna. You say sure, just a smathering.

You could say it means a little here, a little there.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

As I alluded in my post I was certain there would be different meanings attributed to smathering, I made my own definition, It means to create crap where there is no need for it, unwanted hatred. I took creative license.

Thank you for your gather and blather.

Ascension211

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Cute kitty by the way! But I think the word you were thinking of is smattering! lol. Just saying.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Thanks for complimenting the kitty! I live in the South- we say smathering; I think they might say smattering up north but I've never heard it here. It's a whole other language!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Man, I saw the title and thought we were headin' for Waffle House

Ya' know, smothered and covered and... Yuuuuuuummmmm!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Well I would prefer to not get sick thanks! Last time I went to a Waffle House I stayed in the bathroom all nite. So, umm no.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

No worries, I understand. WH is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. My favorite are the cigarette ashes in my eggs. It adds that certain flair missing at other restaurants.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You should read my post in the food section about BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU EAT.

top topics

join