It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okinawa slams US rape case, calls for treaty review

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Okinawa slams US rape case, calls for treaty review

rt.com

Japanese authorities in Okinawa have called for restrictive measures on US troops outside military bases after the alleged rape of a local by soldiers. The island’s government is also pressing for an overhaul of the Japan-US Status of Forces Treaty.
Okinawa Governor Hirokazu Nakaima said that the incident will force Japan to rethink its security arrangement with the US as the list of abuses by servicemen continues to grow.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The incident happened yesterday.

I am posting this into this forum, because Japan - US relations on that matter (bases) made a lot of headlines during the last weeks.

I might sound rude, but what is it with those people, raping over 127 women since 1972, including a 12 year old CHILD in 1995 by 3 US soldiers?

What is wrong with those "soldiers"? And moreover, why are they being taken into US custody for a trial, instead of doing in in Japan?

I am born in Japan, in he early 80's. I don't remember much, because we moved after two years, but my father told me so many stories about that country. It's a shame that it almost lost a big part of it's national identity due to the US presence, and those incidents just make things even worse.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19/10/12 by absente because: layout

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
A few excerpts

....the Japanese Defense Ministry estimates that 50 per cent of crimes and accidents that take place on the island can be attributed in some way to the US military stationed there.

Okinawa made world headlines in 1995 following the rape of a 12-year-old Okinawan girl by three US servicemen...

Japanese local media claim, citing sources, that there have been 127 cases of women raped by US troops since 1972. Nine of them occurred in the last 10 years.

more on the rape case of the 12 year old girl in 1995:

Wikipedia - 1995 Okinawa rape incident

There were 5,584 criminal cases involving US military personnel during the same period, including 559 atrocious cases of murder, burglary and rape. In Japan, sexual and violent cases such as rape or indecent assault are often not made public, so the number of actual cases is considered much higher. The most recent examples of criminal activity in Okinawa are as follow:

- In September 1995, three marines raped an elementary school girl. This led to a huge gathering of prefectural residents in October 1995, with 85,000 residents participating.
- In October 1998, a high school girl was run down and killed by a drunken US marine.
- In June 2001, there was rape case by a US airman.
- In November 2002, there was an attempted rape case by a US lieutenant.
- In May 2003, a US marine in Okinawa raped a woman, resulting in extensive injuries.
- In July 2005, a US airman in Okinawa indecently assaulted an elementary school girl.
- In February 2008, a US marine was suspected in the assault a junior high school girl.

Source & more: Incidents Involving US Military in Okinawa

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by absente

okinawa needs to look in the mirror - screaming 127 rapes [ by US personel ] in 40 years sounds horendous - but if you actually look at the okinawa crime statistics - the crime rate / 1000 persons show that the US presnce of 50 000 personel is 4% of the okninawan population [ 1.4 million ] - but the US presence only comits 1.7% of the crime

this is not a defence of american troops

but screaming blue murder about the crimes they comit - when okinawans comit more that double the crime RATE - which in real numbers = over 50 times the number of incidents

if chuffing hypocrisy at its finest

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

50 per cent of crimes and accidents that take place on the island can be attributed in some way to the US military stationed there.

That seems unrealistic, though i did see a report stating that Japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

It easy to play the blame game, but I would not put the incidents past troops stationed overseas far from home with a sense of superiority.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

These are soldiers we are talking about, not percentages of civilians...
There are no excuses for this from those sworn to an oath~

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

If this is true, why is the Defense Ministry stating such a big number? It's not like coming from a newspaper, it's an official statement (I am trying to track it down, or find any statistics proving it).

the Japanese Defense Ministry estimates that 50 per cent of crimes and accidents that take place on the island can be attributed in some way to the US military stationed there.

I am not "screaming blue murder", - that's a news forum, and we are discussing news. It's not my fault that American army personel is committing crimes by raping innocent underage civilians, or shooting them down in Okinawa. It doesn't happen anywhere else on this scale to my knowledge, so the question would be rather "why is there such a trend only in Okinawa"?

edit on 19/10/12 by absente because: content / layout

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Isn't it true that the Japanese idolize Americans?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by absente

They can review the security terms all they want. I just hope we get out of Japan. I cant stand their people personally. 40 year old men always trying to pick up the 15 year old girls, it's disgusting. Not to mention those little anime festivals they have. They have school girls getting licked by business men and it's okay because they aren't real girls while they are in costume, at least that is how i understood it. They also have magazines of 12 year old girls in bikinis and they sell like hot cakes.

I do not know why these two sailors raped this woman because women in Japan are worse than women in America (if you are American). They attach to you like white on rice and they compete with each other to see how high pitched they can get their voice.

My couple of weeks in Japan was miserable to say the least. Let them have their weird culture (in my opinion, it's weird).

Also, if you look at their culture, it is a culture of submission and cohesion. For example, if you committed a crime, you would be kicked out of your village and disowned. Japan does not teach independence, but they teach a culture of "one" so to speak. Lets not mention how EXTREME their punishments are, and most of the time the cops do you a favor by beating the mess out of you instead of taking you to jail.
edit on 19-10-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by absente

And moreover, why are they being taken into US custody for a trial, instead of doing in in Japan?

they are taken into "us custody" actually it is us military custody, because that is they way MOST if not all military organizations operate. this is for many reasons, one of which is to protect servicemen from false accusations, made by people out to make a buck, (not saying this is the case here). as well as to make sure that the defendant is able to get a FAIR and IMPARTIAL trial not something that can be guaranteed in another country. but one other thing is military justice can be rather harsh on offenders.

i do find it a bit interesting that a country that is known for being rather lax when it comes to dealing with rape done by their own citizens is so damming of a non citizen accused of the same crime. in all honesty i would not trust japan to have an impartial trial in a case such as this. i suspect that the accused would be found guilty no matter if he was or not. let a court marshal decide the case, if found guilty he will certainly pay for the crime.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by absente

.... and most of the time the cops do you a favor by beating the mess out of you instead of taking you to jail.

[sarcasm]
Hm, I heard a lot of news like that coming from the US. Evil tongues even say that the police there kills unarmed students, people in wheelchairs, ... , ...., .
[/sarcasm]

I agree with you on the part that the US should bring their troops home, and yes - I know the magazines you talk about, and I am sure that part in their culture supports the development of domestic and foreign pedophiles - you're right. Yet at the end it's their country, their culture, weird or not, it's theirs and even though I can't accept some parts of it, I still think that their culture has more pro's than contra's. At least they have a culture dating back thousands of years, compared to some other countries with a few centuries in their basket

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I do not see much change happening between the US or Japan regarding their military agreement. Although, China would love for the US to pull out of Okinawa. The Japanese government is well aware of that. The outrage by Japanese politicians is just simple pandering. Realistically, the United States is not going anywhere, and they may juggle some units around. However, if anyone is expecting a complete withdrawal from Okinawa? They might as well be singing to the choir. There massive neighbor to the West has been getting quite restive regarding the Japanese. Anybody recall the mass protests a while back?

I am tired of these soldiers, sailors, and marines conducting themselves in this fashion. Furthermore, I would be open to remanding these soldiers and any US service member over to the local Japanese authorities in events like this. Perhaps, once these will goons realize that the blanketed protection by the US military is lifted? They will think twice about acting like this? I am ticked off! All it takes is a couple knuckleheads to ruin for everyone! Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, we know that the locals on Okinawa are fit to be tied about the US military presence. Could these allegations be false? A scheme by the locals to snare the US in another rape incident, and to fuel the public's outrage even further than it already is? Just a little conspiracy on my part. If these soldiers are indeed found guilty after their trial? Throw the book at them, and make an example. This behavior has got to stop!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
While the numbers and statistics are skewed to the point of being useless, I still wonder what the hell we are doing there in the first place. A certain percentage of any group is going to be bad, but the US is doing itself no favors by having a military presence in every country around the globe. Sure, the more of us are there, there better the chance of something going wrong. With no clear purpose for our presence, and plenty of clear potential for backlash, it seems obvious to a thinking person that we should bring our troops home. Instead, the government and press perpetrate the fear-mongering machine and convince the masses that it is too dangerous to not micromanage the world. Since when has micromanaging worked in any environment? It certainly hasn't stopped any wars or terrorist attacks. Apparently we are still fighting WWII in Japan? What the hell are we doing there?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Let them face China alone. Once they get conquered, come to the rescue.
edit on 19-10-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
A brief overview of the unique culture and history of the Okinawans deleted. Never mind. Some kinds of ignorance aren't worth the work of denying and are best ignored.
edit on 19-10-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by absente

okinawa needs to look in the mirror - screaming 127 rapes [ by US personel ] in 40 years sounds horendous - but if you actually look at the okinawa crime statistics - the crime rate / 1000 persons show that the US presnce of 50 000 personel is 4% of the okninawan population [ 1.4 million ] - but the US presence only comits 1.7% of the crime

this is not a defence of american troops

but screaming blue murder about the crimes they comit - when okinawans comit more that double the crime RATE - which in real numbers = over 50 times the number of incidents

if chuffing hypocrisy at its finest

Using statistics to dismiss the atrocities committed against other humans is an evil that puts you in the company of corporations and warmongers.

For the love of God, we are talking about individual people. Like you and I, our moms, our sisters.....real people. And men wearing your flag are doing this to them. I mean, this is a "not even once" type of issue.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
All US Japan forces are now on a 11pm-5am curfew, the typical knee jerk response from the brass. That'll last till the merchants outside the bases, especially bar and club owners complain about losing money.

It's kinda ironic the two Sailors accused of the crime aren't even stationed there. They're reservists TDY from Fort Worth TX.

Young 20'somethings + late night drunkeness = stupid and bad things.

The military is so worried about Spice and other crap. They need to be more concerned about booze.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by absente

How do these guys not go to prison?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
reply to post by absente

How do these guys not go to prison?

It's handled in accordance with the SOFA agreement. Once the Japanese officially indict them, then they are handed over for trial. And if convicted do time in a Japanese prison, which are much worse than US prisons.

Other factors come into play also. Showing regret and remorse are also important in Japanese culture. Along with the paying of "Gomen" (apology) money.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
My emotional side, which is the only side I will post here today, says that they should be given the harshest sentence in the Japanese judicional system - execution by hanging. There must be no mercy towards rapists, least of all when they are foreigners, soldiers, and guests in a foreign country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join