It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first Native American saint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I feel offended by this. Almost disgusted.

After everything that the Native American people have gone through, and still are, the church has decided to make a saint of Kateri Tekakwitha. In my mind, this is just one more extra slap in the face for the Native American people after centuries of fighting. The church seems determined to continue to recruit new members into its grasp.

This is about the destruction of beliefs and practices of an ancient culture in order to replace it with a relatively new 'religious faith'.
It's almost a shame that such a young woman, who died at the age of 24, was 'converted' by this group so long ago.

It would appear that the real reason as to why she is now being made a saint is due to the increased sale of prayer cards.. how that connects is anyones guess, but we know the church will do all that it can to bring in the cash.

The prayer cards are selling like hot cakes at the Shrine of Our Lady of Martyrs in Auriesville, set amid the beautiful wooded hills of what was once Mohawk land.

notice 'what once was Mohawk land'... sacred land according to the Friar

"It's a place of peace and healing," says Friar Mark Steed, who is in charge of the site, known as the National Kateri Tekakwitha Shrine, in the village of Fonda.

"This is where she lived. It's the land where the Mohawk people lived. It's a sacred place," he says.

Don't you just love that.. I thought that sacred sites would not have been lived on by Native Americans. I thought those areas were used for special occasions..not to live on..
So the modern church needs to stop abusing the site and get off it if it is, infact, sacred to the Mohawks.

He rubs salt into the wound by saying

"Being on this land is like being in a church."

As for the girl, she was, apparently the only one to convert to this new religion. Doubt remains as to wether any others did.
Personally I highly doubt they would have.. seeing as the report goes on to say how she had to leave her tribe and live alone.

"It was a kind of diplomatic alliance in many ways."

If some did convert, was it a move to save themselves from slaughter by the US cavalry? Declare their Christian connection and get out of jail free?
Sounds like they may have had very little choice..

This is a very good point and I am glad to see this bit written into the report. I had not previously seen this before starting this thread.

But some Mohawks in Kahnawake today are ambivalent about their ancestor, says Boucher. Many people don't identify with her story of life as a virgin -it's a culture where motherhood and caring for children is seen as central to a woman's role - and some associate her with the bitterness of colonisation, loss of land, and Mohawk tradition.

Many seem to be going back to their ancient tribal roots.. which, IMO, can only be a good thing..

He says he wants to avoid a "circus" developing around the shrine, and to keep it as a simple place of prayer - one that is also true the saint's Mohawk roots.

Which she shunned when she converted..

And as luck would have it, a painting of her may just end up in the Vatican.. another collectible for the church to value and put a massive price on in years to come..

source of all quoted text

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
While I am not going to take a stance one way or the other on the rights or indeed wrongs leveled against Native Americans, She is not the first Native American Saint, only the first Roman Catholic Native American Saint, I know of at least one, Making Medicine (a Cheyenne warrior and spiritual leader) Sainted by the Anglican Communion.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Now that's very interesting then.
That would be proof of false advertising/promotion..
claiming it's something it's not

A mistake by this particular church or by the BBC in their news report title?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Now that's very interesting then.
That would be proof of false advertising/promotion..
claiming it's something it's not

A mistake by this particular church or by the BBC in their news report title?

Personally I have seen the same in all news outlets, I am guessing some will only consider Roman Catholic Saints real Saints, hence the media spin, which is a shame as Making Medicine was proclaimed a Saint 30 years ago and since then has been considered the first Native American Anglican Saint.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't know what's more disgusting.

The fact that the church carried out a genocide on Native Americans, or that now they are trying to cash in on the memories of that?

I literally feel sick to my stomach reading this.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

And yet, this is how history is written.. Wait long enough and things will get forgotten and swept under the carpet.

In this case it's Native Americans. On TV recently on a kids programme there were some teenagers visiting Auschwitz. You walk around looking at suitcases and piles of shoes whilst listening to a recorded message explaining everything. That is another example along the same sort of lines as what's going on here with this "sacred" Mohawk site..except someone's selling the word of the lord for profit after doing all they could to destroy a people and their traditions.

How easily we forget and those in power use and abuse their positions.

I'm English born and bred, yet, for some reason, I've always felt a kinship for Native Americans. There's a connection there somewhere and that's why i was glad to pick up on this report.

Bare faced cheek of the church..

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I read about this person many years ago. She was very religious after the visions.

Kateri Tekakwitha saint]Kateri Tekakwitha saint

www.google.com... nms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VH2BULqoA-a50AGRz4GACg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1201&bih=784

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Yeah I've a 1/4 Native.

I've never sought to get my paper work though to get actual Native American status, mostly because IMO I don't deserve to call myself one after all the atrocities commited in my name.

Ancestors and current leaders alike.

400 years worth of genocide here in Canada. We now have aprox 1 million left. It brings a tear to my eyes just thinking about all the harm and nonsense these people have gone through because of globalists and land grabbers.

Anyway, there's nothing that can be done about the past. I can only hope that the efforts to create a Native American state/country within North America are successfull.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I feel that..

My roots are Celtic but for me, for some reason, Native Americans feel like brothers to me.. not that I've ever met any..

Anyway.. with the Vatican adding the final twist of the screw by wanting the painting of this "saint-to-be" is insulting to the highest level.
It's like a victory trophy. A serial killers souvenir...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Seriously, I don't see any problem with this.

In what way is this different from all other saint's cases?

new topics

top topics

join