It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Meteor' prompts Devon and Cornwall tremor reports

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

People across Devon and Cornwall have inundated police with calls saying they had experienced an earth tremor.

We checked with the British Geological Survey to ask if it was because of a tremor, but they said it may have been caused by something a little more spectacular - possibly a sonic boom from a meteorite as it caused pressure changes in the atmosphere while falling.

Link

There are a hell of a lot of 'Meteors' around the UK and the US recently. One can't help but think there may be something else going on up there? I don't know why but this reminded me of the ongoing thread regarding occurrences in Louisiana and with the large meteor we experienced up north earlier this month and the close asteroid fly-by, I can't help but think that there is a potential impact waiting to happen. Either that or these sonic booms and explosions are from something more Earth based?

edit on 19-10-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Was just about to post this myself..

Some say it was like a bomb going off.. Others reported the ground and windows shaking with objects in houses rattling too.

On BBC radio Devon this morning the presenter was talking to some local official who was joking about green men knocking on the back door..

It must have been a sizeable meteor to cause such widespread shock waves that were seemingly mistaken for an earth tremor or bomb.
As of yet, there is no evidence to suggest it even was a meteor. Could it be associated with all the other strange noises that have been heard around the world recently?

Can we add this one to the list?
Map of the strange sound phenomenon heard around the world.

I did not hear or notice anything unusual here in Plymouth...which is a shame as I love stuff like this.

A daylight meteor may have been hard for people to see and with Dartmoor on our doorstep, it could have landed anywhere or even overshot Devon and Cornwall and ditched in the sea.

We may never know..

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

You're right we probably will never know. To experience such a large object entering the Earths atmosphere is rare at the best of times but so many in the space of a few weeks? Certainly interesting.

I say 'large object' because to produce a sonic boom so widespread, I doubt it was the usual pebble we would normally expect.

According to the BBC, doors were blown open at a police station in South Devon.

thisiscornwall.co.uk

Are there any experts in here that can give us an idea of how big it would have to be to blow doors open??

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

The object's distance from ground as well as its size would affect what is felt at ground level.

A one mega-ton explosion could be caused by an object as small as a football though, considering the huge speeds involved with incoming meteors.

I agree with the above poster though...awful lot of meteors lately. As a physicist, I am not one to subscribe to doomsday theories, but the frequency of the meteors making it far enough to ground level to initiate a sonic boom is rather unusual. Of course, these events happen all the time, only are usually at sea. Maybe a higher incidence is occurring over populated areas for some reason?

You can compare it to tornados in the US and UK. The UK experiences just as many tornados per square mile as the US, but mostly occur over countryside, so are rarely seen.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

On the 13th October or just before they were spraying chemtrails in the skies of Cornwall. Our guests are expected!

Initially the expectation was of using Volcanic eruptions to provide cover but that was impractical. They seem to be relying on the appearance of Meteorites showers, coming in just before or just after. The shielding isn't good enough to hide the power core. They come in fast thus sonic boom but then land thus no tremor.

Northern Canada due to to North magnetic pole and the conduction of plasm from solar flares into the earth's core.
New Jersey
San Francisco

Now Devon and Cornwall

Some of these may indeed be meteorites, but some are not. Typical symptoms are chemtrails, dead birds/fish, concern about Alzheimer's/lead poisoning, and military aerial surveillance, prior to arrival.

Origin the second moon Theia tidally locked behind our visible moon. They don't have a magnetosphere, and NASA seems to confirm that the intensity of solar flares next year will burn off their atmosphere.

This is all speculation, note that the BBC has censored Devon and Cornwall's meteor reports already, and hey - welcome to my world!

Shaun.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Interesting development.

All this brings up a troubling thought; Why are there no warnings?

I realize tracking these objects is difficult, but if we can not efficiently track these types of things, it does not take a very large chunk of space rock to do significant! damage.
edit on 19-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Maybe it part of this
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=15173623#pid15173623

and the explosion in Russia

and a lot of Earthquake reading are disappearing in Canada
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=15022285#pid15022285

their are being remove becauce their not EQ there meteor hit but are not saying so or reported as so

edit on 19-10-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Lots of meteors witnessed in Australia recently unusual lights going south to north over Gold coast Australia last week steady glowing orange lights faster than commercial craft no blinking lights just steady burning orange no boom nothing

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
We should be seeing a uptick in meteor sightings. This planet is about to pass through the most meteor dense part of our galaxy, the glactic plane.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
How strange, anyone would have thought one of several annual meteor showers was peaking on Sunday so we could expect a gradual buildup of sightings...
Oh wait....
edit on 19-10-2012 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Now this is why I fell in love with ATS the first time I came across it!
Meteors, mystery, ufo's, conspiracy theories left right and centre = total awesomeness.

I missed the big meteor in the UK recently but now looks like I may get a second chance.

My enthusiasm is all shiny and renewed.

Way, way better than all the political stuff that's been dominating the site.

I'm in the North of the UK so didn't know about any of this as I've not seen it on the news yet.

To be sure I'll be out listening and looking tonight!!!!!

Any ATSers out there see anything regarding this event?
edit on 19-10-2012 by EcoMan because: Typo

edit on 19-10-2012 by EcoMan because: Typo

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I live in Maine. 13 miles from our EQ.

"It was loudest bang you ever heard in your life. We actually thought it was an explosion of some type," said Jessica Hill, owner of Waterboro House of Pizza. "The back door and door to the basement blew open," she said.

I might go venturing today to find the truth

However don't you think someone would have said they have seen the meteors?

If in fact the EQ's are being removed (Which I have seen on USGS). Then where are the eye witnesses attesting they have seen something in the sky?

Although I don't fully recall a sound. My gf believes she heard something before our newly built apartment was swaying back and forth.
edit on 19-10-2012 by JrDavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I've heard two sonic booms this week alone.

The first one on monday was a sonic boom times five. BOOMMM!!! boommm boomm boomm boomm, and you could feel a pressure wave going trough the house.

The second was a very deep boom. Very low and you could feel it in your body this happened yesterday.

And the day before yesterday a saw a very bright droplet, it was blue white ish. Different then any meteor i've ever seen in my life. Fall down without a sound not that far away from where my house is.

It was very strange cause it fell almost strait down.

But I guess that is just a case of perspective.

Normally I wouldn't think much of it all cause it happens all the time. But this time it seems a little different.. The frequency of larger meteors, creating sonic booms and smashing windows, picking it up on earthquake monitors and stuff.

Let's just hope everything will be fine right

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

One can't help but think there may be something else going on up there?

Yep, it's called the Orionids meteor shower.

Earth will pass through a stream of debris from Halley's Comet beginning today, which will give us the benefit of the annual Orionids meteor shower—though you probably won't see much until a bit later.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

Fascinating thread. Kudos to all who have participated to the discussion and investigation. I have an observation to add that others may have info on: Whenever there is a sighting with a possible strike in Canada, some university geology department is interviewed by the msm and inevitably one particular university undertakes a recon trek to locate and hopefully claim the meteoritic debris. Has there been any comment by those scientists in Louisiana or their departments? So far I have seen nothing about them in the info mix at all.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was cutting my grass when this happend i live in Newton Abbot, I heard the back end of the boom but didnt feel any shakes

What really worries me is a couple of weeks ago me and my kids stayed up to watch a meteor shower and saw nothing, The information about the shower was quite easy to find and was no big secret
why did this anomaly sneak in without any one seeing it why did something that big come as a suprise

Pretty Awsome though to witness something posted on ATS

Can some one page Phage would love to here his explanation
edit on 19-10-2012 by MrRobertson because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Double Post For Some Reason Sorry
edit on 19-10-2012 by MrRobertson because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

And it peak this Sunday morning (two hours before sunrise and I'll be there to watch it
). But what is it then? Increased media attention? Social media at work?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

My take on it is that for one, the 2012 conspiracy has really ramped up in discussion over the past 10 years, even outside the conspiracy circles. Most people I would say don't believe anything is going to happen, but that little thought nagging at the back of their minds that there is the ever so slightest chance something "could" happen is probably enough to keep it secretly circulating in peoples heads.

Couple that with a failing economy and large amounts of tension regarding war, race, elections, economy, etc., and most people are getting fed up and are ready for a change, be it positive, negative, cataclysmic or even fantasy.

Now add social media, and I think you have a good recipe for mass-wild speculation. Just look at how many people WANT a zombie apocolypse, and it's no suprise that people will start speculating when a meteor hits.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Okay that is very plausible explanation, but I am a very positive person. And I don't 'believe' in doomsday dates. It's just collective paranoia, or is it a real phenomena, even NASA warned about more extreme meteor showers.

Is it like the weather, sometimes it's extreme and sometime it's 'normal'? I dunno, what I do know is that this year is going to be one hell of a year.

I don't think anything is coming, but we are in for a show!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join