It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student not 'black' enough to be African-American

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
This whole focus on racial differences is the main point that turns me away from the Democrates. I'd have to agree with Gazrok.

What does this have to do with the Democrates?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
flipside

We will never have peace in this country until the fight for equality is given up......

A very frightening proposition.
I would strongly disagree that people want to remain segregated.

Thats not to say some do not think that way, but to believe that thats what people want in general is a vast misconception.

It's about breaking barriers not reinforcing them.

Thankfully, this is just your opinion.

p.s. I was so impressed with my Democrate, I invested in the full version..

[edit on 19-10-2004 by Koka]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
What does this have to do with the Democrates?

Sorry to bring that up in this thread, but with all the political discussion going on it just leaked out.

Oh, and Koka sorry I haven't developed the "edit post for spelling" habit quite yet.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
i hate politics and i loathe political correctness

do you call a white person from africa african americian

do you call a black person born in americia americian

or is it the other way around

is this seriously being debated -- year:2004

if someone is black call them black

if someone is white call them white

you never hear someone calling a french or scottist guy a french americian or a scttish americian

if you are in americia you are an americian (unless you are vacationing)

if you are in france you are a frenchman(unless you are vacationing)

call it like you see it and besides when do you say "hey, you africian americian" i mean come on

[edit on 19-10-2004 by firestarter666]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
"First lady wannabe Teresa Heinz Kerry sometimes describes herself as an "African American," even though she grew up amidst segregated privilege in colonial Mozambique.

"My roots are African," she told a reporter in 1995. "The birds I remember, the fruits I ate, the trees I climbed, they're African."

Throughout the 1990s, Heinz Kerry referred to herself as "African American," the Baltimore Sun revealed on Tuesday. And when her use of the term set off a firestorm of controversy in 1993, she defended the claim.

"African-hyphen-American belongs to blacks," Heinz Kerry's spokesman told reporters, insisting that it was proper for his boss to call herself African American as long as no hyphen was used or intended."

I guess this boy's crime was that he claimed to be African-American instead of African American. I am wondering how many of the people who objected to him being African-American will be voting for the Teresa to become the first African American first lady?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You don't necessarily have to be black to be considered an African American it justs helps the cause. Me myself I am an African American but I have a white friend who claimed that he convinced his public speaking teacher that he was black and he said that she believed him. Personally I don't care about the term African American because I tend to call all my friends n***a but that's just me If you want to consider yourself African America that's your business. It goes along with the Amendments saying that you have the right of freedom of speech, unless you are being discriminatory to another because of it.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
????!!!!!

That's just racist, I mean seriously!! You don't need to be black to be an African American, that's just a stereotype! @_@.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I think there is nothing wrong in calling a dark skined person black, and a light skinned person white, as you are simply referring to their physical appearance. by using the words in that sense you are not inferring any sort of racial intentions.

But if we are going to have African-Americans, doesn't that mean every person on this planet should follow their roots so they can be referred to by the right name?

Does that make me Italo-british-irish-(insert pretty much every other country in the world here)-australian? If we're going to be PC and all.....

No wait, isn't referring to someone by their country forcing a label therefore stereotyping them? so umm...hmmm. I'm stumped. What do I called someone who lives in America? A human? No wait, human implies a certain stereotype as well..umm....how about living being. Dammit, according to the definition of "living" that implies that I am a carbon based lifeform, so once again I'm sterotyping....

I could refer to the American as an "it", but then I'm implying that the american is below me...thus, the logical conclusion is we have to abandon all forms of spoken language because it only promotes racism.
oh, and eyes, we all need to carve out our eyes because we judge people by their appearance

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Someday we'll just call people people. Who gives a # what the color of their skin is.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I just like the term person or people.

It's easier to keep track of things that way because I have no idea who's from what and where and when they got here.

Seems silly to me.

Then again, I'm "American Indian" or "Native America" or whatever that is supposed to mean.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Reminds me of something in Britain, David Beckham was voted Britains most famous black man

Guess we've got it the other way here.

Seriously, that kid was probably the only african in his school and he's not allowed in this thing?

WTF

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I remember on a Conan O'brien show they had an animated Bush and he ( Bush) said "Conan you wont believe how many african-americans there are in africa." '"I think there just africans there" " Oh is that what they like to be called now just africans"

Af�ri�can-A�mer�i�can n.
A Black American of African ancestry . See Usage Note at black

A�mer�i�can n.
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.
American English.

Af�ri�can n.
A native or inhabitant of Africa.
A person of African descent

And there you have it you can be an African and not be black you can be an american without being white but if your black in america your an african american

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
And there you have it you can be an African and not be black you can be an american without being white but if your black in america your an african american

But not all black people think they are from Africa, and some of them are just as african as my white butt is. Black people could be from the Carribean, Australia......

Black does not equal African.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I concur.

I think it's silly.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is interesting for me because I am 3/4 white and 1/4 Japanese, but I look white, act white and am regarded by most people as white. But, on a college application could I apply as like mixed or some queer minority to get a scholarship or spot that I really don't deserve? If I could then I probably would just because it would be good for me even though I am politically against progams like that.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
wasn't south africa colonized by whites? whites don't come from africa... their ancestors placed themselves there (mostly for the gems, diamonds, gold, and human resources) so now some white kid thinks its funny to point something out?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm 1 generation out of being able to get scholarships and free money for Native Americans. For school I mean. I've graduated so that doesn't really matter anymore.

Evidently I am no longer "Indian" enough to qualify.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
May I ask, what fraction are you Indian?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I live in a part of the country where the only reason you are black is because it's on your birth certificate. creoles are often that mixed. the "Black" is witer than the "whites" who are his friend.

I think it's sad that we make LESS THAN 20% of out genetic diversity control what we think of each other. I could have more in common with a black person, genetically, than I can with some whites, and I'm white, lol....REALLY white.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I've thought about this question before. If you were from Egypt, and could trace your great, great, great,.....great grandfather from Egypt as well, you would be an African. Last time I looked Egypt was in Africa. Still you wouldn't qualify for an African-American scholarship. They really should re-label these things as "Black People" scholarships. That's what they mean in the U.S. when they say African-American. Black people. It's one of those stupid p.c. things that refuses to die.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join