It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH No, Salafists destroy ancient Morocco carvings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Stone carvings in Morocco's High Atlas mountains dating back more than 8,000 years and depicting the sun as a pagan divinity have been destroyed by Salafists, a local rights group said on Wednesday.

"These stone carvings of the sun are more than 8,000 years old. They were destroyed several days ago," Aboubakr Anghir, a member of the Amazigh (Berber) League for Human Rights, told AFP.

"One of the carvings, called 'the plaque of the sun,' predates the arrival of the Phoenicians in Morocco," Anghir said.

"It lies in a well-known archaeological site in the Yakour plain south of Marrakesh, 20 kilometres (12 miles) from Mount Toubkal."

www.google.com...

It always breaks my heart when an ancient site is destroyed, I wish this would stop.

www.google.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

It always breaks my heart when an ancient site is destroyed, I wish this would stop.

Especially when it's due to some neanderthal thinking on the part of religious nutjobs.

Sad, sad day for human beings once again as we push ourselves further into the stone age.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It's just a shame !

Wahhabi/Salafis have been destroying important archeological sites for a while now... Afghanistan, Saudi-Arabia, Libya, Mali, Egypt and now Morocco.

How can Wahhabi vandalism be stopped?

Wahhabis have a history of vandalising and destroying Islamic heritage. In Saudi Arabia they destroyed and damaged houses and mosques associated with the Prophet Mohammad and his family.

In Libya and Egypt, Salafi and Wahhabi groups took the opportunity of the recent unrests to attack and damage several Sufi shrines and cemeteries. In Libya they destroyed the shrine of Zuhayr Ibn al-Balawi a companion of Prophet Mohammad.

In July, another Wahhbai group in Mali began to destroy and vandalise historical Sufi shrines, mausoleums and cemeteries of Timbuktu, a UNESCO registered World Heritage.

edit on 19-10-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Morons.

Sorry about the single word reply but honestly, what else needs to be said?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
For those of us who love with a passion historical sites and archeology and the significance of these ancient sites, it is just to hard to accept.

8,000 yeas old, OMG, I tried to find a link to a picture but didn't have any luck.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Found it
www.france24.com...

weaselzippers.us...

1.bp.blogspot.com...

I don't believe i have seen any of these rock carvings before.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The sad part for me is that there is no way to replace the sites, and there is no one willing to say "Stop!" to them. This will continue. Excuse me while I get rageful.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Muslims always muslims

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Typical desert faith logic-lock mindset shows its ugly self again.

What the hell gives these "things" the right to destroy monuments is beyond my ability to understand.

"Cry" - I feel like leaving the planet and finding another.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
destroying things or people = primitive intelligence

imo you would have more luck holding a conversation with a brick over idiots with a destruction fettish

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Terrible shame.

Whenever this happens I always wonder why their faith is so fragile that an ancient carving or statue threatens them so much, or is just a simple case of bullying - a show of 'power' against those who can't defend themselves. Sigh.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Its an ongoing battle between moderate and fundamentalist interpretations of the Qu'ran and Hadiths.

The link below goes thru the various quotes, in lenght, but the source is also paranoid and blames Wahabism on the 'Zionists/Americans/Anti Islamic propagandists', instead of the Muslim world itself....Wahabism came about before Zionist or Americans existed.....

If you skip over that part you'll see the scriptural and hadiths involved in the discussion

The discussion

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Now this is really Aladeen news!

Jokes aside, fundamentalists will be fundamentalists... no matter where they are. We've got plenty of our own, except ours get unrestricted time on TV and in politics.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

What the hell gives these "things" the right to destroy monuments is beyond my ability to understand.

But we're all trapped on this planet and forced to tolerate these destructive cretins.

Their behaviour harkens to that of a spoiled brat who smashes up toys 'I don't want it and you're not having it either'.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

But we're all trapped on this planet and forced to tolerate these destructive cretins.

Their behaviour harkens to that of a spoiled brat who smashes up toys 'I don't want it and you're not having it either'.

How does one reason with such people?
edit on 19-10-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
People this stupid, will also engage in acts of terrorism not realising they are actually doing Western governments otherwise false flag attacks for them.
No wonder little is being spend fighting extremism over there!

I hope the site was well photographed, so that it can at least be reconstructed at a later date. Nothing ever quite as good as the original, but nothing worse than taking an attack on world culture, lying down.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Morocco denies Salafist destruction of carvings

Morocco's government on Thursday denied claims that Salafists had destroyed stone carvings dating back more than 8,000 years in the High Atlas mountains. "The reports that these stone carvings were damaged, as you can see, is not true," Communications Minister Mustapha Khalfi told journalists, on a government organised trip to the Yagour plateau. "It is one of our goals to protect these pre-historic monuments, which reflect Morocco's cultural diversity and the deepness of our history," Khalfi told AFP.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Leave it to a bunch of ignorant asshats to destroy something that existed long before their own religion came into existence.

Maybe Mecca / Medina should be treated in the exact same manner they treat the culture / religion of others.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

"One of the carvings, called 'the plaque of the sun,' predates the arrival of the Phoenicians in Morocco," Anghir said.

maaaybe they meant the plaGue of the sun not the plaQue of the sun...

So what in the world is happening with the sun? Well the sun is preparing to awaken from its long-awaited sleep for a time referred to in the Holy Bible as The Great Tribulation. In the Book of Revelation its speaks of 21 judgments that God's pours out upon a sinful, rebellious, and wicked humanity, and one being the plague of the sun. It reads in chapter 16 verse 9, "And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the Name of God, which has power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him the glory." Thus, there is coming a terrible time at the end of world history, when regrettably the Lord will be forced to unleash his wrath upon the world and will use the awesome power of the sun to do so. Therefore, the greatest solar storm of human and world history, promising to bring world-wide chaos and mass confusion is still to come as the sun prepares to awaken from its sleep for a time of Great Tribulation.

source

or maybe it was an ancient 'plaque' like.. a sign carved in stone...

internet article typo? either way.. it's relevant.
edit on 10/19/2012 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
Now this is really Aladeen news!

Jokes aside, fundamentalists will be fundamentalists... no matter where they are. We've got plenty of our own, except ours get unrestricted time on TV and in politics.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

This is intellectual laziness bordering on brainlessness. Lately, there hasn't really been much news about: Buddhists, Confucians, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Taoists, Zoroastrians, Shintoists, Pagans, Wiccans etc setting out to destroy cultural artifacts/sites for reasons of religious supremacism. Why? Because they aren't doing it. Maybe you dislike televangelists as much as I do but I can turn the channel-really it isn't that difficult. No one can rebuild the Buddhist statues in Afghanistan, this site in Morocco, the countless Hindu temples and shrines in India-Pakistan-Bangladesh, the inmuerable Coptic shrines churches in Egypt being destroyed almost daily lately. Just lumping it all together though, hey it precludes you from ever having to learn anything. Saves a lot of time that way

There is one group doing this stuff and it is muslims.
edit on 21-10-2012 by HabiruThorstein because: typo

edit on 21-10-2012 by HabiruThorstein because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join