It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow is the 25th anniversary the 1987 stock market crash - ask me a question.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The biggest meltdown in history.

I was there working as a stockbroker and still am today.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Unless something big happens in the market tommorrow, why do I need to ask you a question?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Congrats on your success. I remember this was a crazy day in History considering the stock market at that time was what, around 1700 or so?? I dont remember the actual number of the high but in percentage loss wise it was HUGE!!!!!

What was the big scandal back than?? S&L right??

edit on 18-10-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Back to GLP with you. No neocons welcome here.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Do you like kitties?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I hate Knight Securities. They bumped me out of line on a 200 dollar gain with a penny stock, selling their own shares ahead of mine, at a higher ask than mine, through scottrade. I was glad when a computer glitch recently cost them 200 million.

Did Knight really have to pony up that tab?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Why is there hair in butt cracks?
I really dont see an evolutionary need for it, Its probably the warmest place on your body

Thank you in advance for your answer

edit on 19-10-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

a warm part of the body means it needs more insulation to keep the heat IN the reason it is warm to the touch (you musta touched alotta butt cracks lol) is because the heat is escaping the body in that spot more then in other spots,

your arm pits get very warm because lots of heat is escaping them thats why you need the hair there to help hold it in so the body doesnt loose to much heat,

this doubles to keep you cool during overheating as hair will stay wet (sweat) longer then hairless skin,

ya i know your question was just a smart ass joke but hey theres the smart ass answer you did ask for it

btw op, how bout telling us what sort of info on that crash you would know that we couldnt google up. what answers do you have?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

I'll ask a serious question?

Is there anything you notice from 1987 relevant to today's stock market that indicates another huge crash is forthcoming?

I looked at a brief vid earlier on Bloomberg that suggested one of the reasons for the 1987 crash was an extended period of increase without a correction.

Some are claiming there might be another crash as bad, even inevitable....

Another stock crash like 1987’s is inevitable

Get set to buy stocks after a market crash

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

Ok here is a serious question, you said 1987 was the biggest meltdown, but wasn't the 1929 crash bigger ?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Here is a question:

Could the newscasters we see on CNBC tv or even those who work for the NYSE do better trading stocks than the little people (us)?
Assume they only have access to the same web data that we have.

I suspect they are not much smarter, stock wise, than the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
Back to GLP with you. No neocons welcome here.
I think he took your advice,hours later still no answers.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
are we going to see prices go up further than they already are?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
reply to post by leo123

Congrats on your success. I remember this was a crazy day in History considering the stock market at that time was what, around 1700 or so?? I dont remember the actual number of the high but in percentage loss wise it was HUGE!!!!!

What was the big scandal back than?? S&L right??

edit on 18-10-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

It was the leveraged buyout frenzy and the junk bond king Mike Milken.

The loss that day was 22%, and yes if I remember correctly, it closed around 1700.

What most people don't realize is the real action occured the next day when the banks started removing the lines of credit for the brokerage firms. That would have crashed the entire system worldwide.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
are we going to see prices go up further than they already are?

If I knew that I would have been able to retire years ago.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist
reply to post by leo123

I'll ask a serious question?

Is there anything you notice from 1987 relevant to today's stock market that indicates another huge crash is forthcoming?

I looked at a brief vid earlier on Bloomberg that suggested one of the reasons for the 1987 crash was an extended period of increase without a correction.

Some are claiming there might be another crash as bad, even inevitable....

Another stock crash like 1987’s is inevitable

Get set to buy stocks after a market crash

I don't think the crash of '87 was simply because there was an extended period of increase without a correction. To me it was more the fact that so many people started buying on margin and the valuations got completely out of whack.

Because there was so much debt buying stocks, the leverage meant than when things started heading south on the Friday befor and on the Monday itself it caused investors equity to disappear very quickly, thus accelorating the problem. Do remember that there was a sell off on the Friday before that was over 4%

The tech crash in 2000 was the same, in fact worse in many aspects, the only difference being it unfolded in slow motion rather than in a couple of days.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by taws6

Originally posted by leo123

Ok here is a serious question, you said 1987 was the biggest meltdown, but wasn't the 1929 crash bigger ?

Nope.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
btw op, how bout telling us what sort of info on that crash you would know that we couldnt google up. what answers do you have?

Bob Farrell was the chief Market Analyst at Merrill Lynch in those days. Any time some area of the markets started getting to an extreme he would always come out with a piece that would inevitably end with something like this:

"Once again we have the pundits telling us why this time is different, but I am here to tell you that no, it's not".

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by leo123

Here is a question:

Could the newscasters we see on CNBC tv or even those who work for the NYSE do better trading stocks than the little people (us)?
Assume they only have access to the same web data that we have.

I suspect they are not much smarter, stock wise, than the rest of us.

I agree with you.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Ah ha, but can you now answer the question I asked?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join