It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it an apple? or a Patato?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Hello all, I haven't decided to make a thread in awhile, but I recently had a thought about how we perceive things around us. So basically, the eye receives light, and then sends that info to the brain to decipher what we are seeing. Ok, I get that. But, my question I suppose is, Where does the light come from? The sun? a lamp? the moon? within?

So ok, your brain is receiving information from your eyes, you see an apple. The apple looks really fresh, red, a great standard apple shape.. you see an apple!

Now, what if a person was told for 25 years of their life that an apple was a potato, and a potato was an apple. Would this person actually see an apple as you and I see an apple, or would it be a completely different object to them? So when you receive light, your brain tells you the object is what you have been told it is, so it appears to be what you believe it is. Let us say that this said person finally found out that the apple and patato were completely different of each other, would they still view these 2 objects the same?

I wasn't sure where to put this.. and I'm curious to see if anybody has some info that might give me a better idea of what I'm trying to think about here. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Names are meaningless, since the same object can have many names in many languages.

What would they see? A shiny red, juicy potato. Erm... Patato.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Not quite sure where you are going with this, but, don't forget people have other senses, too. Ever bite into a raw potato? You would know it isn't an apple just based on that sense alone.

Also an apple isn't an apple to everyone just based on language differences.

If I asked somebody who didn't speak English for an apple, guaranteed they would have no idea what I was talking about.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This question kind of reminded me of a thread I saw here with a picture of a colored picture where you stare at the dot, when it flashes to the normal picture and you don't move your eyes it appears to be black and white.

I lost that thread, but it has some relevance to what I'm getting at. Like I said, I just kind of came up with this question not too long ago, so it may have not been thought out well enough.

Ok, I also understand the other senses playing a big role in deciphering information. Maybe a person who was born without sight might have a pretty good idea. I was curious on how big of a role does vision play in how the brain functions and deciphers what we see etc.
edit on 10/18/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Oh, okay then. I think you are referring to this possibly?

www.pnas.org...

There is wide agreement that spatial memory is dependent on the integrity of the hippocampus, but the importance of the hippocampus for nonspatial tasks, including tasks of object recognition memory is not as clear. We examined the relationship between hippocampal lesion size and both spatial memory and object recognition memory in rats. Spatial memory was impaired after bilateral dorsal

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

thx for the link, I'll look it over when i get some time. =] All this talk about apples and potatoes has made me hungry.

btw, if you find anything else of similar relevance please drop it here in this thread, thanks!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

what the *bleep* do we know? FULL MOVIE.. I think you will find it interesting

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
If I remember correctly, the pineal gland has photo-receptors. Maybe "real" light excites some form of "illumination" in our mind?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I actually watched that video earlier last year, but with so much going on between then and now, I could probably use a refresher. Thx for the reminder

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
If I remember correctly, the pineal gland has photo-receptors. Maybe "real" light excites some form of "illumination" in our mind?

This is more of what I was getting at, I do remember hearing something awhile back about this theory. Either way I am always fascinated by how the brain perceives what we call reality. I've been on an info binge as of late, feels good.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think it's more interesting to consider the time frame this was written and then comprehending how little we have progressed.

en.wikipedia.org...

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" is a commonly quoted part of a dialogue in William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, in which Juliet argues that the names of things do not matter, only what things are.[1]

edit on 18-10-2012 by usernamehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I have your perfect answer: Things are not always what they seem...............
5 years ago my father came to live with me. He had Alzheimer's disease. I am an RN and thought I understood people very well having studied Psychology, Physiology, and many other sciences.
Dad started having some diarrhea at one point, and I talked to a friend of my wife's who was a dietitian.
She suggested some yogurt for him which worked very well. But do please bear with me as this is indeed a true story which eludes to your post.....please do so.
After getting my fathers bowels in order he began to have normal movements...
Then.................................one day I noticed an odor in the kitchen...........
this has to do with perception............... it really does........
I actually detailed [thoroughly cleaned] the entire house trying to get rid of that odor. Especially in the kitchen where it did seem the strongest. I knew there was no diarrhea ..............
After perhaps 10 hours of scrubbing the floors, walls, ceiling, and even the fridge. the odor was still there!!!
///// perception. ...................
We kept a large bowl of potatoes on a kitchen island which I had inspected several times. And even moved around....
After an entire day of cleaning, and scrubbing, and looking. I put it all back in place..but the odor was still there!
Then I finally noticed the bowl. Full of potatoes....really..it was...and something that also was brown, and in the perfect shape of a potato but it clearly had an odor...not that of a potato, and it was not a potato but indeed did look like one!.
This is a true story. The potato did look like the real thing, but my dad that lived with me didn't know what it was and had placed it with them thinking that is what it was....so you want to know what the perception of a potato is? Don't eat it just because it is brown. Things are not always what they seem.
I no longer perceive. I verify .... Nothing is as it is perceived.
This actually a true story from 5 years ago...
So...is it an apple or a potato? What is it we truly perceive?
edit on 18-10-2012 by DavidsHope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
I have your perfect answer: Things are not always what they seem...............
5 years ago my father came to live with me. He had Alzheimer's disease. I am an RN and thought I understood people very well having studied Psychology, Physiology, and many other sciences.
Dad started having some diarrhea at one point, and I talked to a friend of my wife's who was a dietitian.
She suggested some yogurt for him which worked very well. But do please bear with me as this is indeed a true story which eludes to your post.....please do so.
After getting my fathers bowels in order he began to have normal movements...
Then.................................one day I noticed an odor in the kitchen...........
this has to do with perception............... it really does........
I actually detailed [thoroughly cleaned] the entire house trying to get rid of that odor. Especially in the kitchen where it did seem the strongest. I knew there was no diarrhea ..............
After of perhaps 10 hours of scrubbing the floors, walls, ceiling, and even the fridge. the odor was still there!!!
///// perception. ...................
We kept a large bowl of potatoes on a kitchen island which I had inspected several times. And even moved around....
After an entire day of cleaning, and scrubbing, and looking. I put it all back in place..but the odor was still there!
Then I finally noticed the bowl. Full of potatoes....really..it was...and something that also was brown, and in the perfect shape of a potato but it clearly had an odor...not that of a potato, and it was not a potato but indeed did look like one!.
This is a true story. The potato did look like the real thing, but my dad that lived with me didn't know what it was and had placed it with them thinking that is what it was....so you want to know what the perception of a potato is? Don't eat it just because it is brown. Things are not always what they seem.
I no longer perceive. I verify .... Nothing is as it is perceived.
This actually a true story from 5 years ago...
So...is it an apple or a potato? What is it we truly perceive?

Thank you for your response, it just reminded me a time of when I had been with some friends, and we had some flavored cigars, and I smelled one of the packages not noticing what flavor it was, I just picked it up and smelled it. It smelled like strawberries to me, I asked my friends to smell it also, and they also said it smelled like strawberries as well (they didn't check the package either) then after a few minutes, I noticed on the package it said "sour apple" So I smelled it again and it smelled just like sour apple, I told them to do the same after finding out it was apple and they again noticed that it smelled like sour apple. I was baffled.. and so were they. For the time I wasn't aware of the smell, I believed it to smell like strawberries even though it was sour apple.

Again, the human mind is amazing.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This reminds me of an interesting discussion I had with somebody a few years back.

Can two people ever confirm with certainty that the colour they are viewing is actually the same colour as seen by the other person? For example, if two people were to look at the same red shirt, they would both claim the shirt is red, but how would either know if the colour they are actually perceiving is the exact same as the other person? Person A's perception of red might be person B's perception of blue. Even if there are different shades of the same colour to test, maybe the "red" that person B is seeing is actually blue in colour or vice versa. There is no actual way to tell.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
This reminds me of an interesting discussion I had with somebody a few years back.

Can two people ever confirm with certainty that the colour they are viewing is actually the same colour as seen by the other person? For example, if two people were to look at the same red shirt, they would both claim the shirt is red, but how would either know if the colour they are actually perceiving is the exact same as the other person? Person A's perception of red might be person B's perception of blue. Even if there are different shades of the same colour to test, maybe the "red" that person B is seeing is actually blue in colour or vice versa. There is no actual way to tell.

To some people it is a fact that colors don't always appear the same. To my father, brown, black, grey, and navy blue always looked the same. If it weren't for my mother matching up his socks, he would have worn a miss matched pair every day of his life.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I have not seen this movie and am watching it now,
thank you!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

I have not seen this movie and am watching it now,
thank you!

Be advised that, at its core, What the Bleep Do We Know is a propaganda film for a cult (built around JZ Knight, the older woman in the film -- she's supposed to be "channelling" some alien or god or something).

What the (Bleep) Were They Thinking

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I do not get what you are getting at.. JZ Knight is a small part of the documentry/film. The picked prominent scientists/ philosophers mathematicians etc.. These where not micky mouse thinkers. Yes it is an interpretation thats the best we can do when looking at something that is defying rational thought..

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Hope you enjoy it let me know what you think...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by adjensen

I do not get what you are getting at.. JZ Knight is a small part of the documentry/film. The picked prominent scientists/ philosophers mathematicians etc.. These where not micky mouse thinkers. Yes it is an interpretation thats the best we can do when looking at something that is defying rational thought..

Read the article that I linked to -- the only scientist of merit in the movie is David Albert, who has denounced the filmmakers for taking his comments completely out of context (according to an interview I saw with him, he spent most of the five hours he was with the filmmakers telling them that they were totally wrong, but when edited, makes it look like he agreed with their claims.)

Pretty much everyone else that you see in that movie is associated, directly or indirectly, with JZ Knight and her multi-million dollar "channelling" cult up in Washington state.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join