Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Evidence Of A Brief Reversal Of The Poles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I am starting this thread as a continuation of something I posted on this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...]Magnetic pole moves from Greenland

41,000 years ago, a complete and rapid reversal of the geomagnetic field occured. Magnetic studies of the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences on sediment cores from the Black Sea show that during this period, during the last ice age, a compass at the Black Sea would have pointed to the south instead of north. Moreover, data obtained by the research team formed around GFZ researchers Dr. Norbert Nowaczyk and Prof. Helge Arz, together with additional data from other studies in the North Atlantic, the South Pacific and Hawaii, prove that this polarity reversal was a global event. Their results are published in the latest issue of the scientific journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters. Read more at: phys.org...

So,approximately 40 to 45 thousand years ago,there was a sudden and brief reversal of the magnetic poles.
Brief many a few hundred years.

What is remarkable is the speed of the reversal: "The field geometry of reversed polarity, with field lines pointing into the opposite direction when compared to today's configuration, lasted for only about 440 years, and it was associated with a field strength that was only one quarter of today's field," explains Norbert Nowaczyk. "The actual polarity changes lasted only 250 years. In terms of geological time scales, that is very fast." During this period, the field was even weaker, with only 5% of today's field strength. As a consequence, the Earth nearly completely lost its protection shield against hard cosmic rays, leading to a significantly increased radiation exposure. Read more at: phys.org...

Now,according to this article,there was an abrupt change in climate and an eruption of a super volcano around this period.

Abrupt climate changes and a super volcano Besides giving evidence for a geomagnetic field reversal 41,000 years ago, the geoscientists from Potsdam discovered numerous abrupt climate changes during the last ice age in the analysed cores from the Black Sea, as it was already known from the Greenland ice cores. This ultimately allowed a high precision synchronisation of the two data records from the Black Sea and Greenland. The largest volcanic eruption on the Northern hemisphere in the past 100 000 years, namely the eruption of the super volcano 39400 years ago in the area of today's Phlegraean Fields near Naples, Italy, is also documented within the studied sediments from the Black Sea. The ashes of this eruption, during which about 350 cubic kilometers of rock and lava were ejected, were distributed over the entire eastern Mediterranean and up to central Russia. These three extreme scenarios, a short and fast reversal of the Earth's magnetic field, short-term climate variability of the last ice age and the volcanic eruption in Italy, have been investigated for the first time in a single geological archive and placed in precise chronological order. Read more at: phys.org...

phys.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
One thing that has peaked my interests was a possible connection to this event and the great migration out of Africa.
Now,that migration started a few hundred thousand years ago,but homo sapiens began to dominate the scene in what is now Europe around then.
edit on 18-10-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

kdog I'm looking forward to the development of this thread and believe it is very pertinent to the changes we are experiencing currently and will continue to witness as the momentum increases.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Good thread op.
This cycle that we are at the end of, according to the Mayans. How long did this cycle take? Is there any connection to it ending and this pole reversal?
edit on 18-10-2012 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The one thing that bugs me is,what caused this sudden reversal?

Something major had to happen to cause such a sudden change.
I didn't just happen just by happenstance,there had to be a cause.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Reading some of the comments on the article is interesting too.

I find it fascinating that we can witness no major events for centuries, but the chances of this poll reversal appearing in the same window of time as the eruption of a super volcano is somewhat disregarded?

How often does a super volcano erupt? And what are the chances of it being within that time frame either side of a magnetic pole shift? It doesn't make sense to me that the two would NOT be connected. Surely Occam's Razor would dictate that they probably were connected.

Also, it's really interesting to see mention of the magnetic field leaving us open to radiation. Just a couple of days ago I was commenting on how so many threads appear echoing the drama of the latest sci-fi series like Walking Dead or Revolution, and now I'm about to do that myself lol

That really did make me think about Revolution and how things would potentially change during a period of decreased field and heightened solar activity.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
The one thing that bugs me is,what caused this sudden reversal?

Something major had to happen to cause such a sudden change.
I didn't just happen just by happenstance,there had to be a cause.

What causes the seasons to change?

There a cycles everywhere, and yet we seem to think they are limited to our solar system and to our current perception. Not so long ago Humans speculated about what caused all the trees and wildlife to suddenly "know" when spring was here.

Now we know, and we can even see it flowing across a country like a wave as the flowers bloom in its wake. To those people back then, it would almost appear to be supernatural.

We're seeing the magnetic poles shifting, and we have been watching that happening and compensating for it for several years now. We've been watching the solar activity increasing for several years too, and right now we're seeing activity on Earth increasing with the frequency and magnitude of EQ's and extreme unpredictable weather... perhaps this is all just a cycle, and perhaps we just haven't found the diary entry of a person 41k years ago to warn us and explain what happened to them?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I think you are correct ,sir.
These are cycles.
I'm just curious as to what causes certain cycles and if ,perhaps,that there is some sort of record that has yet to be discovered, left behind by our ancestors.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Makes our past few thousand years look like a cakewalk. Of course, it was in the midst of a glacial period so things weren't exactly rosy anyway.

There isn't really much indication that the eruption was related to the other events. It happened about 1,000 years before the reversal began and hundreds of years before a small spike in temperatures.

There is an apparent correlation between temperatures and the end of the magnetic reversal and the return to the current polar configuration. But correlation does not imply causation and there have, of course, been similar temperature fluctuations not associated with magnetic reversals.

I(t) didn't just happen just by happenstance,there had to be a cause.

Actually it is thought that the cause is happenstance. The movement of the liquid outer core is probably somewhat chaotic due to turbulence, it has been shown that this can lead to magnetic reversals on a somewhat random basis.
edit on 10/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Makes our past few thousand years look like a cakewalk. Of course, it was in the midst of a glacial period so things weren't exactly rosy anyway.

There isn't really much indication that the eruption was related to the other events. It happened about 1,000 years before the reversal began and hundreds of years before a small spike in temperatures.

There is an apparent correlation between temperatures and the end of the magnetic reversal and the return to the current polar configuration. But correlation does not imply causation and there have, of course, been similar temperature fluctuations not associated with magnetic reversals.

Actually it is thought that the cause is happenstance. The movement of the liquid outer core is probably somewhat chaotic due to turbulence, it has been shown that this can lead to magnetic reversals on a somewhat random basis.

Yes,we have been blessed with an ideal climate for the last few thousand years.

If I was looking at the graph right,and I did it too,the "super" volcano happened after the reversal.

But,could the core be influenced by an outside force?
Probably not,since such a force would basically destroy the planet.

Something we do where I work is,sometimes certain metals become magnetized.
To correct it,we give it a physical"shock" which means, we slam it hard up against something solid to get rid of the residual magnetism.

Now I know that is a totally different scenario from the earths iron core,you can't "slam " it up against something,but there would be a cause to such a change in polarities.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

If I was looking at the graph right,and I did it too,the "super" volcano happened after the reversal.
You are right. Silly me. I was looking at the timeline backwards.

Now I know that is a totally different scenario from the earths iron core,you can't "slam " it up against something,but there would be a cause to such a change in polarities.
The Earth's core isn't a permanent magnet. The Earth's magnetic field is produced by a dynamo effect by the movement of the liquid outer core. It's thought (and been modeled) that random changes in that movement (turbulence) is what leads to magnetic reversals. A completely internal process.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Gotcha,Phage.
You would think that I would know that,working on generators and such.

I'm looking into this now......

Speculation also continues that the inner core might have exhibited a variety of internal deformation patterns. This may be necessary to explain why seismic waves pass more rapidly in some directions than in others. Because thermal convection alone appears to be improbable,[24] any buoyant convection motions will have to be driven by variations in composition or abundance of liquid in its interior. S. Yoshida and colleagues proposed a novel mechanism whereby deformation of the inner core can be caused by a higher rate of freezing at the equator than at polar latitudes,[25] and S. Karato proposed that changes in the magnetic field might also deform the inner core slowly over time.[26] There is an East–West asymmetry[clarification needed] in the inner core seismological data. There is a model which explains this by differences at the surface of the inner core – melting in one hemisphere and crystallization in the other.[27] [edit]History

en.wikipedia.org...

Just learning along the way.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Thanks Kdog for starting this tread

Link to reversal basics for the technically challegned

Now,that migration started a few hundred thousand years ago,but homo sapiens began to dominate the scene in what is now Europe around then.

I would presume that movements were an ongoing affair, unless the weather was effected for long periods of time, pre-technology man wouldn't have notice much difference in the world.

I wonder if animal and bird migration might be disrupted?

I guess my question would be what actual change would this have on the environment that men would have noted?
edit on 18/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Thanks Kdog for starting this tread

Link to reversal basics for the technically challegned

I would presume that movements were an ongoing affair, unless the weather was effected for long periods of time, pre-technology man wouldn't have notice much difference in the world.

I wonder if animal and bird migration might be disrupted?

I guess my question would be what actual change would this have on the environment that men would have noted?
edit on 18/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

Exactly,Hanslune.
I feel man would have observed and reacted to small changes in they're environment.
Follow the food.
Relocate to possibly greener pastures.
There was a "push" to do so,a need.

So was it a result of a pole shift that started this?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Probably not as man had spreadout of Africa long before this and except for the Americas (AFAWKN) had spread across all the old world and Australia.

Solar radiation might have had a noticable effect with a weaker magnetic field - perhaps darkening skin??

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Solar radiation might have had a noticable effect with a weaker magnetic field - perhaps darkening skin??

You might find this article interesting on that matter......

www.pbs.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Ah my guess was good, darkening for one reason and getting lighter for another

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Not only does correlation not imply causation, but causation might, itself, be just an effect. As an example, the obvious possibility created by linking magnetic field movement and supervolcano eruptions would be the magma movements inside being the cause of both, rather than the supervolcano itself causing magnetic field movement. Or perhaps a reversal of our belief of cause and effect.

Regardless, 1000 years is an awfully short amount of time when we are talking extrapolating dates via core samples, etc. And geological processes tend to have lifespans in the millennial measurements

RE: the OP.....I am intrigued by the supervolcano from 34k years ago, and the correlation of the timing of the demise of the neandertal.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
If a sudden switching of the poles really causes natural disasters such as volcanoes to erupt, then we should experience some of these early next year around late January to mid Feb.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Electromagnetic radiation, including UV, is not affected by the magentic field. It is only charged particles which are diverted by the field.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join