It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to quit smoking with me?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Nuke2013

Got the patch, the mist and an electronic cigarette....

In other words, you're trying to convince yourself you're quitting when in reality, you're just weaning yourself. I've heard stories of people smoking even more after switching to electronic cigarettes. It's still nicotine, which means you're still baiting the demon.

Kida sorta yes, you're right but the E-cigs don't have nicotine, it's used to satify my hand to mouth habbit...
As for the Patch, this is my last day on stage 1 and the mist realy helps with the strong cravings...So yeah...weening myself off slowly but at least I'm not putting the tar and other unknown chemicals in my longs....

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

I smoked 15-20 a day for 10 years before I quit in Feb. Yes you're right that the body is nicotine free in 72 hours.. but just because the body is nicotine free for 72 hours, doesn't mean that you won't have cravings. You will have cravings for months, yes MONTHS. And I know quitters who still have occasional craves after being quit for YEARS. But I'm saying it is easier in the early days of a quit attempt, to stay quit if you just do it cold turkey.

PS. I'm not here to lie about being a non-smoker... Lol. That's pretty lame.

PPS. Oh, and you will be surprised at what your brain will make you think when it wants its nicotine.. it's called romancing the cigarette, look it up.
edit on 19-10-2012 by yg2bfkm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Good job, staying convicted, Afterinfinity needs to cut it out and go somewhere instead of trying to shake peoples methods. The problem is smoke in the lungs isn't exactly a good thing, e cigs and patches contain just nicotine, and not the 100's of additives cigarettes have to increase addiction.

Whatever methods you use and works to null out cravings etc good for you...keep it up!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by yg2bfkm

Congratulations on your success; I didn't mean to attack your advice but...your advice wouldn't have worked for me as I tried that one several times before I quit trying to quit...I didn't have the will power plus my nicotine intake was a bit over 2 packs full flavor reds...studies say quitting cold turkey at around a half a pack a day smoker, doesn't cause much withdrawal.

It concerned me that it may not work for others, that have similar smoking history as myself as my daily dosage was really high.

To all of those that don't think it's that difficult...Smoking is more addictive and harder to kick than heroin. So try to be supportive to those on here trying. I know I probably sound like a hypocrite having just picked it back up after being quit for nearly 3 years but I'm in your corner.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I've managed to quit twice, for a period of 3 to 4 months, and have quit many times for about 4 days, but like another poster stated, something always happened, that made me want to appease the frustration with smoking.

I'll never quit trying to quit..and this thread has given me motivation to try again.

I wish the op the best of luck in ditching this nasty, expensive, smelly, and unhealthy habit, as well as all of you who are willing to try.

Lets just keep reminding ourselves how it does nothing good for us.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
reply to post by yg2bfkm

Smoking is more addictive and harder to kick than heroin.

That's what the tobacco companies would like you to think, you would almost think you worked for a tobacco company, given your subtle techniques of trying to discourage people quitting cold turkey, when it's proven to be the most successful method for long term quitting.

Funny thing is, I'm almost not joking... seeing as tobacco companies can no longer advertise their product.. funny the way we are seeing more and more paparazzi taking photos of "celebrities" out having a sneaky smoke?!

It's a wonder Justin Bieber hasn't been snapped smoking yet, that would get a whole generation of kiddie sheeple smoking.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Right there with ya bro! I'm on day 3 as of today without a death dart. Its hard as all hell the first few days but the cravings will become few n far between the longer you go! Keep it up man, its all about willpower!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Power to you. Hot damn I feel inferior.
More for me, this next one's for you

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I was a smoker for 20 years and I switched to the e-cigs a year ago. I had NO willpower to quit and loved smoking, but I have young kids and knew I needed to give it up. Let me tell you, I was able to wean myself down to zero nicotine for about 4 months. Then I hit a very stressful day and was tempted to by a pack. Thank goodness there was a shop nearby that had e cigs with nicotine, or I would have given in and bought that pack. I now buy the low nicotine kind, but it is still a victory for me for not smoking real cigs. Some people just need to take their time with quitting and there is no shame in it. You are still moving towards your goal.

I just wanted to add that not all people can just go cold turkey. It may be because of their addiction level, or their situation in life. Just because you aren't part of the cold turkey crowd, doesn't mean that you aren't successful, because success comes at all levels. It's the little victories that move you closer to your goal.

Don't get discouraged. Be happy with the progress that you have made and continue to make. Don't let others look down on you because you weren't able to just throw out the pack one day and never look back. This is real life and people are different.

I am very happy for those that are able to just simply quit, but please refrain from making people feel bad taking a different method than what worked for you. A little encouragement can go a long way!

~OkieDokie

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This has good info on detoxifying the lungs from all the bad stuff cigarettes cause
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Everybody can do it just keep tryng and don't give up and have faith in yourself

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Good for you. Smoking is a bad addiction most people cannot overcome. The best thing you can do is to quickly find another [good] habit that will allow to forget your previous smoking [bad] habit.

I wish you all the best of luck. Keep up posted how you do. And hopefully your message of going cold turkey will get more support over the course of being online on ATS.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Cannabis was used to treat Alcoholics and Addicts.

It's Non-Toxic and less physically addicting than Caffeine.

Just a thought, For a safe alternative

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Nearly 24 hours since I quit with you....still going strong. Bought some lozenges today, and have the Esig just in case.

You can do it! We all can do it! We just need to support each other.

Please, check back in and talk about it, everyone!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Striider
@Excommando

Good for you mate! I'm in the process of quitting this poison aswell, my advice to you is to go find/borrow/steal "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr (you can find it really easy on the webz, just look for a pdf file *cough*)

Also remember that you're not 'giving up' anything at all! There are only gains to be made by being a non-smoker....

HAVE FUN!

I have read Allen Carr's book. it didn't do anything for me. I found it stuffed with psychological generalizations and very little truth or facts that will compel you to put down the cigs and keep them down. It wasn't for me but I hope it works for you.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Everyone is doing fantastic as far as I can read!

Just remember that quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself.
It truly is remarkable what the addiction does to your mind, body and soul.
If humans were meant to inhale smoke their entire lives, we'd have built in filters.

I remember months before I quit, I switched to American Spirits Organic Blend.
Just doing that alone dropped my intake 50-75%.
I was smoking way less than before.
Almost as if the "major" brands had more addicting chemicals in them.
And I could seriously feel the difference.

Then I just stopped altogether.
Figured it wasn't worth the destruction I was causing.

Those Big name brands DEFINITELY put more addicting chemicals in their cigs.
No doubt in my mind. That is why they are smoother, and easier to smoke.
They don't want you to quit. Take away profits? Ha!

DO NOT GIVE UP!
YOU ARE STRONGER THAN THAT!

Believe me, anyone can quit!
The first days are a struggle!
The first weeks are hell...
The first month is an achievement!
After that, it's about changing your lifestyle.

For the better.

DO NOT GIVE IN.
Fight!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Striider
@Excommando

Good for you mate! I'm in the process of quitting this poison aswell, my advice to you is to go find/borrow/steal "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr (you can find it really easy on the webz, just look for a pdf file *cough*)

Also remember that you're not 'giving up' anything at all! There are only gains to be made by being a non-smoker....

HAVE FUN!

I've never looked at it that way before - but you're 100% right, I'm not giving up anything ... it's a gain.

Awesome -thank you!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
Nearly 24 hours since I quit with you....still going strong. Bought some lozenges today, and have the Esig just in case.

You can do it! We all can do it! We just need to support each other.

Please, check back in and talk about it, everyone!

Good work brother! I'm going strong still - haven't touched one since I threw the pack away. Had a big gym session this morning and then a 2 hour walk in the sun - feels great and I can literally already feel my lungs starting to clear up.

I'm sure next week will be make or break, but seeing 25 flags and 4 pages of support has made a huge difference

Thanks heaps guys

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
As the subject suggests - I am giving up cigarettes as of today.

I've just thrown my almost full pack in the bin - I'm not going to use patches or gum, as I want to cold turkey.

Who wants to join me in this ride? We can help motivate ourselves.

... wish me luck!

I DO wish you luck, friend. Long time smoker here. And believe it or not, I just started smoking again, after 4 years. I am going through a few problems of the relationship variety, and have a bad lower back, and nervous anxiety I inherited from my Mother's side of the family. I never realized how much I missed them. Since I started again, my nerves are calm, and have not taken one Valium in 2 weeks. My lower back stopped hurting every single day, so no pain pills or steroids either. Almost drug free, and only smoking 5-7 cigarettes per day.

By the way, I have been smoking off and on since I was 15, I am 58 now. Still have ultra deep breath, very little cough, and no, let me say that again for you doubters, not one black spot on my lungs. Go figure.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Eh, I'm on day eight of cold turkey from a variety of things...no problems here. Just exercising like a maniac

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

You could allways try quitters inc.
www.youtube.com...

(Watch it all) well it's only an option lol..

Every step you take every bond you break we'll will be watching you....
good luck ......

(P.S the films a PG but if inappropriate feel free to take it down mods..)
edit on 20-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join