It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Face Revealed of Richard Lee Norris [Largest Face Transplant Ever]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Revealed new face of the man who received the largest face transplant

www.tvi24.iol.pt...

The American Richard Lee Norris, 37, received a new face for seven months after being disfigured in 1997 in an incident with a firearm.

Now, the University of Maryland presented its new face. surgical operation he underwent was the deepest of its kind conducted to date, as the first pictures emerged after the operation ceased to notice.

Norris received plus a new face, new dentures, tongue and jaw, an intervention that lasted for 36 years. recluído been for years in his home in Hillsville, in Virginia. Now, the last picture, although some scars shows a face normal.

But more than that: Norris regained his sense of smell and can feel the new face, brush your teeth and shave.

Face Transplants: A Surgical Success Story

abcnews.go.com...-dU

Richard Lee Norris, a Virginia man who was severely disfigured after a gun accident in 1997, has made a notable recovery after undergoing the world's fullest face transplant in March.

"People used to stare at me because of my disfigurement," Norris, 37, said in a prepared statement. "Now they can stare at me in amazement and in the transformation I have taken."

Norris' 36-hour transplant of a donor face was one of 23 done worldwide since 2005, and the most recent of six done in the United States, including those of Charla Nash and Dallas Weins.

"If you would have told me 20 years ago, would this be possible? I would say absolutely not," said Norris' surgeon, Dr. Eduardo Rodriguez of the University of Maryland Medical Center. "It's hard to imagine it's the same person, isn't it?"

The goal for Norris' transplant, Rodriguez said, was to restore both form and function....

In Norris' case, the transplanted jaw bones contained donor stem cells to help coax his body into accepting the new face. Such an approach was based on a decade of animal research at the University of Maryland transplant team's laboratory...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is a truly remarkable story about how science and medicine have helped transform this young man's disfigured face into a normal healthy face again.

Simply amazing. Obviously it was a risky procedure but evidence showing this success story really does shed a light onto others who are looking into this treatment for their problems too. The things to keep in mind is the cost and time and other health/psychological issues surrounding the transformation of one's face, and the availability of finding a right match face to the head of the patient as well.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Congratulations to the medical team and to Norris for enduring the procedure. I'm intrigued by the use of stem cells in the transplant. It's a branch of medical science that needs much greater research.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I wonder how much that costs! And how much insurance paid for... Or maybe research grant money? Either way it is remarkable. I wonder if many more will be done based on the potential cost of the operation alone.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I wonder what goes through his mind every time he looks in the mirror it has to be weird to see a different face knowing what you use to look like.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddyweiser

It is a brand new world for others when they see "him"....plus it must take time to get used to seeing a different face in the mirror...kinda freaky to imagine though

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Simply amazing to me. 20 years from now this will probably be routine cosmetic surgery.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i am glad to see plastic surgery doing something constructive may his new face get him chicks

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
cant imagine walking by the mother of the persons face you're wearing

really weird

top topics

join