It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This is probably the best place for this thread. This is me trying to save you from yourselves. Like Loki Laufeyson, I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Attend. All of us make mistakes. We’re only human. Most mistakes on message boards aren’t a big deal. I excuse 95% of them as I’m just forgiving like that. I know people rush their responses without properly editing. However, some mistakes grate a little and we should all know better by now. I hate to say it, but people lose (not loose) a lot of credibility when they make common spelling mistakes. I’m not saying I never make mistakes. I do. However, these seem to be the most common and it needs to stop.

“I before E, except after C, or as in ei as in neighbor and weigh.” Please keep this little saying in mind. It can help you.

A lot isn’t one word.

Anyways has a long history of being slang. However, anyway is considered the better alternative when using this adverb. (This one happens to be my biggest pet peeve. I can’t stand to hear it or see it in writing.)

Two is a number.
Too can be replaced with also, or indicates excessiveness before a verb.
To is used as a preposition before a noun or as an infinitive before a verb.

Examples:
1. My bike has two wheels.
2. I ate too much. So, why do you insist I go eat with you, too?
3. I don’t want to go to the fair.

There is a place or idea.
They’re is a contraction of they are.
Their indicates possession.

Examples:
1. Jane left her iPad over there. There is no time for her to retrieve it before class.
2. They’re acting like fools.
3. Their theory is wrong.

Your indicates possession.
You’re is a contraction of you are.

Examples:
1. Your dog ate my homework.
2. You’re not actually going to eat that, are you?

Its indicates possession.
It’s is a contraction of it is or it has.

Examples:
1. The dog wants its bone.
2. His cookie is bigger than mine and it’s not fair!

Uncommon mistakes I still see frequently:

‘Per say’ should be ‘per se’.

‘In do time’ should be ‘in due time’.

‘It’s a moot point’ is not a ‘mute point’.

‘It’s beyond the pale’ is not ‘it’s beyond the pail’.

Thanks for reading. There will always be a part of me that is a teacher, I suppose. Forgive me.

edit on 18-10-2012 by LeSigh because: Fixing my own spelling mistake. That's karma.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
tanks fer da lezzon, mush appreziated

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Just had a flashback of high school. Lol

I am sure many will stop by this thread and read your educated refresher... But unfortunately, I don't think it will sink in. Lol

I think you may possibly have to start forgiving %90 of users incorrect grammar

S&F for you

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Huked uhn fonicks wurkt four mee!

In all seriousness, I hope you have helped some people out. I am guilty of a lot of these mostly because I'm rushing when I type and don't proofread. Yeah lame excuse.
edit on 18-10-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Thank goodness! We haven't had a rant on spelling in at least a week. Tell me how you were selected to do it this time. Was it a lottery, or did you have to apply? We surely need such reminders because, after all, we here at ATS are not only slow learners, our attention span is measured in hours. We easily forget. I'm sure your timely tome will put us all on track. We can now look forward to never seeing those mistakes again.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Aye ta much, folk complaining aboot typos really does ma heid in.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ha! How bored we all must be to be making/commenting on these threads.

I hate the "I before E" rule, it makes me mess up instances it doesn't apply - like, often!

I think "a lot" should be one word!! Aha. I always type it as one word, to either have my phone automatically separate the two - as it just did - or I have to back track, and fix it.

I'm pretty good with my English, even better than Microsoft! I do however have my stoopid (correct spelling by the way) moments, which, I guess are the result of killing too many brain cells via alcohol consumption lol.

Stoopid instances such as spelling "program" like this: Programme; Now I KNOW its not spelled like that, I don't even know how I gained the habit about 2 months ago! Aha - but the habits there all the same.

Anyway, as long as I can get the gist of what someone's trying to convey, and they can break up their paragraphs, it's all good.

edit on 18-10-2012 by Sinny because: A fair few spelling errors! LOL

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Sory my speling is so bad, I dont due it on porpuss, I try my best, but I keep seein these threads that make me fell about this small> .

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Thank goodness! We haven't had a rant on spelling in at least a week. Tell me how you were selected to do it this time. Was it a lottery, or did you have to apply? We surely need such reminders because, after all, we here at ATS are not only slow learners, our attention span is measured in hours. We easily forget. I'm sure your timely tome will put us all on track. We can now look forward to never seeing those mistakes again.

Aw, don't get annoyed at my annoyance! If I've helped even one person in this age of texting, then my work here is done. We can deny ignorance and sing Kumbaya together (virtually) on this, the happy day of someone's salvation from poor spelling practices. You'll have to imagine the hand-holding.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

No, you're good. As I said, it is only the extremely common spelling mistakes that really drive me crazy. It's the teacher in me. It has to be. I can't even read fanfiction without writing a novel to the author on the importance of editing. It hampers my enjoyment of bad internet fiction, I tell ya.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Since this IS a global website and English IS the required language to use when posting, might it be too much trouble to ask all non English speaking members and English as a second, third, fourth language members to take a class in grammar and proper American English spelling prior to joining and or posting? [/sarcasm]

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Since this IS a global website and English IS the required language to use when posting, might it be too much trouble to ask all non English speaking members and English as a second, third, fourth language members to take a class in grammar and proper American English spelling prior to joining and or posting? [/sarcasm]

I love you too.

Well now, that's a whole other ball of wax. Don't go crazy. We're all more forgiving of ESL types. However, native English speakers, be they from the UK, America, or wherever? Tsk! As long as one is working under the conventions they were raised with, then it's fine. British English spellings are more than acceptable. However, face facts. Consider what I focused on in the OP. Those words are spelled the same everywhere. I'm not some American English only disciple.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

Granted, I do not argue what you said in the post I am replying to, however there are a lot of members on this site that do not know those rules, as English is not their native language. There are members that are older, that are set in their ways, through dialect or poor education. There are younger or foreign members that do not have the English education level to completely understand verbs, adverbs, pronouns, adjectives, etc. etc. etc. I do understand your frustration but all of that comes with a global message board. I apologize this came out on you, as it is not personal, but as another member stated there have been so many threads ranted about spelling and grammar it really gets old. Most of the Posters do not take into account the variety of people that is ATS.

If you are serious in helping people to learn proper English and English grammar don't rant about it, but write a thread with the rules and help people along. Ranting about it takes the offensive rather than the helpful side of trying to help. This is simply my opinion such as it is.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
to ask all non English speaking members and English as a second, third, fourth language members to take a class in grammar and proper American English spelling prior to joining and or posting? [/sarcasm]

I can just see the arguments that would ensue..

Colour/color
rubbish/trash
can/toilet

to name but a few

It confuses the heck out of me at times, when I come across a site that does the little red squiggly line beneath the word I've typed (spell check)
I sit here and end up doubting myself.. doubting the education I was given.. doubting the English dictionary..

One thing that we canallbe sure of is that our languages evolve and change over the years.
Todays English is far distant from the oldde English of yesteryear

This period of trilingual activity developed much of the flexible triplicate synonymy of modern English. For instance, English has three words meaning roughly "of or relating to a king":

kingly from Old English,
royal from French and
regal from Latin.

en.wikipedia.org...

Then onwards, verily, to Shakespear
Shakespearean English Vocabulary
Alack is a new word for me.. usually it would be a lack of good words.. but alack, not this one...

With some certain members of todays youth and their slang and laziness to communicate in a standardized manner, we can only guess where, or what, our words will be in the future...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What annoys me is when my android changes spellings to American English.
It's not the non native speakers who can't spell it's the Americans and I'm not talking about their weird version of spelling,I'm talking about their spelling full stop.
What annoys me more than their spelling is when they say "I could care less" are they stupid?What they mean is "I couldn't care less"
Maybe in American schools they should cut down on the singing and dancing!(grease,glee)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I za bad seller tooo...somz peooples gots to Melllow out!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh

Aw, don't get annoyed at my annoyance! If I've helped even one person in this age of texting, then my work here is done. We can deny ignorance and sing Kumbaya together (virtually) on this, the happy day of someone's salvation from poor spelling practices. You'll have to imagine the hand-holding.

Now you're getting creepy.

I fear you did not really understand my point, so let me lay it out for you. Posts like yours are a dime a dozen. Every week yet another member sees fit to present this membership with a lecture on spelling and grammar. If you were to take the time to research the archives of ATS you would find hundreds of posts purporting to "teach" us all our grammar and spelling.

By and large these posts are pretentious and self-serving. What these posters don't seem to understand is that their rants are not going to make one whit of a difference. Nobody will pay attention. Rants like these are for naught. [snip]
edit on 18/10/12 by masqua because: edit fer ill-mannered remark

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh

Now you're getting creepy.

I fear you did not really understand my point, so let me lay it out for you. Posts like yours are a dime a dozen. Every week yet another member sees fit to present this membership with a lecture on spelling and grammar. If you were to take the time to research the archives of ATS you would find hundreds of posts purporting to "teach" us all our grammar and spelling.

By and large these posts are pretentious and self-serving. What these posters don't seem to understand is that their rants are not going to make one whit of a difference. Nobody will pay attention. Rants like these are for naught. [snip]

I fear I did understand your point. I was attempting to diffuse your rudeness with humor. However, this board is for rants. But if you want to talk about wishing people to shut the hell up- it's completely mutual. Because, what's worse than someone ranting about grammar, is someone who is rude to others just for the sake of it.
edit on 18-10-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

edit on 18/10/12 by masqua because: quote edit

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

If you are going to indulge yourself in a rant, you can expect some opposition. It goes with the territory. Far from being intentionally rude, I was hoping that you would think twice before posting on grammar and spelling again. Perhaps you simply did not know that this is a regular phenomenon here, common in the extreme. Perhaps you are taking an exalted roll, the "teacher in you" here, that just can't help lecturing boys who still live in their Moms' basements. And perhaps you are unaware that "Grammar Nazis" are not always appreciated here. I have no way of knowing, but as you can readily see from the reaction, mine is not a minority view. Pretentious prattling prigs do not go unpunished here. Posts such as these sound like a freshly minted OCS lieutenant lecturing a Master Sergeant with a lifetime of experience. And you'd be surprised how many Masters and PhDs are represented by the membership here.

And I'm not even saying it doesn't matter; it does. People, ESL people aside for the moment, are known for how well they write. If they write poorly, it reflects on them. But even if they do confuse some grammar issues, that doesn't mean they have nothing to say, and I think they ought not to be chastized for it. For you to come on here lecturing people like you have is pretentious and as RUDE as you accuse me of being. Now we can go on and on calling each other rude, but the point stands.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I have a Masters and I'm currently going further in my education at the moment. I've also taught English for twelve years. It's hardly pretentious on my part. It really is the teacher in me.

Honestly, someone ranting on a topic that has already been brought up before shouldn't be chastised. It's a rant board. I can only imagine that a lot of topics on ATS have been recycled a few times over. All I see is petty justification for throwing around ad homs and going way beyond what my OP warranted with your attitude. I thought your first post was fine, if not a little rude, which is why I responded with humor. However, your additional attacks are completely unjustified. Of course, this seems typical for what I've come to expect from ATS.

I was resolved that my last post would be my last post. However, this one really will be. I won't be responding to you or anyone else on any thread here. Please don't respond to me. I'm done. Life is too short to subject myself to internet drama and then let myself get pulled into your problem with me on top of it. I'm also taking steps to have my account officially deleted. I'm sure you won't miss me. Ciao.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join