It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worst thing about wine...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
That stupid cork just never wants to come out the right way does it? Then you're sitting there with your nice glass of wine with tiny bits of cork floating around in it. So I'm sitting there thinking yea? With a spoon in my hand trying to fit it in the bottle. There has to be a better way?

Someone needs to invent a slim spoon type thing to fish out the cork pieces. Then again, I'm probably the idiot for living in the old world still using a regular corkscrew. Can someone explain to me why we're still using corks to begin with? I really just made this thread...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... I have used the 2 prong cork screw with good results.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dishonored

All I can say is that practice makes perfect! Years ago I would sometimes have the same problem, but after I worked for a couple of years at a restaurant where I had to open wine bottles every day it ceased being a problem.

May I suggest a crochet hook?

By the way I continue to use the same corkscrew I've had for years.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hmmm, never really had a cork issue. Perhaps you need a new corkscrew? Older ones sometimes mangle it instead of remove it.
If I had cork pieces floating in my favorite Sangria...there'd be hell to pay!!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jonasdelnegros

That seems much better than what I'm using. I'll need to go find one lol.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I solved all my problems by changing to CASK WINE

You can always just think of it as croutons for your wine !

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dishonored
That stupid cork just never wants to come out the right way does it? Then you're sitting there with your nice glass of wine with tiny bits of cork floating around in it. So I'm sitting there thinking yea? With a spoon in my hand trying to fit it in the bottle. There has to be a better way?

Someone needs to invent a slim spoon type thing to fish out the cork pieces. Then again, I'm probably the idiot for living in the old world still using a regular corkscrew. Can someone explain to me why we're still using corks to begin with? I really just made this thread...

Dude - I can solve your problem in 5 seconds. Stop being a "pretentious" wine drinker and join us poor folk who drink it out of a box.

Thanks, Franzia. I couldn't get through the week without you.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
OP you are soooo wrong.
The worse thing about wine is the hangover you get from drinking 2 bottles of Bulgarian red for £1.99 a bottle

2nd.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by flashtrum

Dude - I can solve your problem in 5 seconds. Stop being a "pretentious" wine drinker and join us poor folk who drink it out of a box.

Thanks, Franzia. I couldn't get through the week without you.

I really would, but I've yet to find a good wine from a box that isn't either too sweet or too bitter. I've had bad experiences with boxed wine lol.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I keep one of these ultra fine tea strainers in my kitchen just for straining those pesky cork bits out when they do happen.

They do come in handy....

Des

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I keep one of these ultra fine tea strainers in my kitchen just for straining those pesky cork bits out when they do happen.

They do come in handy....

Des

Oh God I have one of those. Why didn't I think of it?!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Can someone explain to me why we're still using corks to begin with? I really just made this thread...

probably for the same reason we still pay more for cheaper made wine with the foot stink of everyone who stomped on the grapes leaving that lovely toejam aftertaste we all call... fine wine hahahaha!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
If you just purchased the wine chances are the bottle was upright for some time drying the cork a bit. If you buy the bottle early enough in the day just rest it on its side or in a wine rack that's slightly inverted to soak the cork. You shouldn't have pieces of cork floating around after that. I, like you, use an old school cork screw. Traditions I guess. I have a buddy that paid like a hundo for a bottle opener. Waste of money if ya ask me.
edit on 18-10-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: screwed

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

You made my cry to tears.
Just don´t screw it all the way trough the cork. It will come out.

A tip I discovered by accident. I have an old complicit cork puller with mechanics but I don´t bother about that. It has a long spindle that looks like a round staircases winding up. However, it´s to long so I just screwed my first cork further on the spindle 3/4th of the length of a cork so that the next one wont be punched through.

Now, that wasn´t the trick nor the real purpose. I found out, that when you are able to twist the cork in the bottle it comes out really gently. All you need for this purpose is the second cork. It will lock against the first cork when you screwed it all the way in (/3/4ths of the cork). Just keep twisting the handle until you notice that the cork in the bottle begins to move, then with slight upward pulling motion, remove the cork in a gracile motion.
Viola.
If it helps to explain this to a male, imagine the two corks as a clutch.
edit on 18-10-2012 by StareDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You may be screwing the corkscrew too far down into the cork. If you penetrate the inside edge of the cork, it will shower the bits into your wine. You should only be putting the cork about 2/3 of the way in.

The reason vintners use corks is because corks (even the artificial kind now in use, technically a variety of dense sponge) are compressible. To get the tiny bubbles in the wine, fermentation needs to continue a bit in the individual bottle (or bag or box). The cork can be squeezed by the expanding wine, whereas plastic or metal would merely fail. Nobody puts new wine in old wineskins for the same reason.

When it happened to me, I used a coffee filter stuck into the neck of a decanter.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well there are methods to get a busted cork out of the bottle without creating a mess, provided you didn't screw the cork screw right through the thing. One method i saw is to hold the bottle at your side with the neck pointed down slighty, then using something soft enough not to break glass, but hard enough to provide a good whack, you start smacking the bottom of the bottle, it takes a while, but as you do this pressure will start to push the cork out to a point that you can pull it out with your fingers.

If, however, you have already pushed it through and now have bits of cork floating around, the simple solution is a wine decanter and a strainer, i did this a few weeks ago, strain the wine as it goes into the decanter, problem solved.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Ever heard of a strainer, or a decanter? I pour my red wine and port wine through a coffee filter sometimes. Works perfectly every time. The vinturi aerater comes with a strainer on top and you can aerate by the glass instead of the whole bottle, also I would invest in an automatic electric vacuum wine preserver, they're really cheap and small and they sell them at brookstones.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kody27

Why would you buy one of those? It is the law that once a bottle of wine has been opened you must drink the whole bottle
Or is that just in my household?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Oh dear, you don´t know how cold it ran down my spine after google translate confirmed my fears about the word CASK.
Also, without insult:
Please don´t run any wine through a coffee filter, even cask wine. The sad thing is, many americans don´t know how original wine tastes. There is a reason behind this, not all but most are processed in a plant to lower the alcohol level to sell it as wine because for instance california wine is high in alcohol/sugar because of the sun/climate. There is a movement to prevent importing wine form the USA to the EU for exactly this reason and I´m all for it.
edit on 18-10-2012 by StareDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks to the posters above. I understand now what I did wrong. The corkscrew went right through the cork and that's where I messed up. But, at least I did it better than my grand pap used to:

"This how you open"
*gets butter knife*
"bang it until it falls in"

thanks pap!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join