It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU summit: Angela Merkel calls for national budget veto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The German chancellor has called for the EU to be given the power to veto member states' budgets, hours before leaders meet in Brussels for a summit. Angela Merkel said the EU economics commissioner should be given clear rights to intervene when national budgets violated the bloc's rules. The idea is likely to be strongly opposed by members concerned about any increase in the EU Commission's powers. The summit is expected to focus on plans for a banking union.

Source

I really do hate to say it, but yet again, a German government wanting more power over Europe...

This seems like a bad move to me and looks like more power flowing to Brussels.

It is an erosion of democracy pure and simple, as it would allow the EU, basically Merkel, the power to veto an ELECTED governments budget, even if it's in another country.

Maybe all these theories about a new world order and a centralised power in Europe were right.
edit on 18/10/12 by SaltireWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
EU economics commissioner Olli Rehn is from my hometown, by knowing his backround im sure he is not a member of NWO. Im sure he will not be a puppet either he is actually very intelligent man.

edit on 18-10-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That just pushes Cameron et al in another corner between the electorate, his promise on a referendum over power transfer and the EU...

I forsee an ouch moment when Cameron has no leg to stand on and has to give us our referendum.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

I agree that this is a ludicrous proposal and as a German citizen I can not condone such an infringement in other states sovereignty.

I'd like to add that the office of a EU commissioner, as powerfull as Merkel advocated, would also interfere in German fiscal politics without any democratic legitimization, and thus would violate our own constitution.

The very same constitution Chancellor Merkel took an oath to protect.

Our federal constitutional court might not like this very much.

edit on 18-10-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

top topics

join