It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Binders Blunder - yet another stupid lie

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Romney's claim:

"I went to a number of women's groups and said, 'Can you help us find folks,' and they brought us whole binders full of women"

Report: Romney’s ‘binders full of women’ story not true

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s story about having “binders full of women” brought to him while assembling his Massachusetts state cabinet years ago is not true, according to a Boston Phoenix report Wednesday morning.

While Romney did get a binder listing qualified female candidates after being elected governor in 2003, reporter David S. Bernstein said, it was assembled not by his staff, but by a coalition of groups led by the bipartisan Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus, which started collecting the information in 2002 as part of the Massachusetts Government Appointments Project (MassGAP).

“They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions,” Bernstein said. “They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.”

According to the caucus and MassGAP, Bernstein said, women accounted for 14 of Romney’s first 33 senior-level appointments. But on Tuesday, Romney took at least some credit for making that happen.

“One of the reasons I was able to get so many good women to be part of that team was because of our recruiting effort,” he said during his debate with President Barack Obama.

The Huffington Post noted that, according to a study done by MassGAP five years ago, women went from making up 42 percent of Romney’s administration in 2003 to 27.6 percent in November 2006, shortly before he left office.

Bernstein also questioned the placement of Romney’s women appointees Tuesday.

“Those were almost all to head departments and agencies that he didn’t care about — and in some cases, that he quite specifically wanted to not really do anything,” Bernstein said. “None of the senior positions Romney cared about — budget, business development, etc. — went to women.”

www.rawstory.com...

'Binders full of women' effort predated Romney

"To be perfectly clear, Mitt Romney did not request those resumes," Jesse Mermell, a former executive director of Massachusetts Government Appointments Project, told reporters during a conference call arranged by the Democratic Party.

finance.yahoo.com...

Not that anyone thought Romney was actually capable of telling the truth.
edit on 18-10-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

So wait, let me get this straight, Romney told another lie? What is this, lie # 32 within a 41 minute time frame? Unbelievable.

In any case, many women are starting to feel bad again about Romney. After the first and second debate, women were really up in arms over lack of specifics on planned parenthood and abortion issues. Now, the attention has intensified on women pay equality, job hiring, efficient placement and retention.

Viginia Heffernan expounds on this further. Based on the supposed lie Romney told, her impressions are as follows:

First, his answer to a question about the grave subject of wage inequality flaunts his gender bias: In his anecdote, Romney ostentatiously refuses to consider qualified applicants just because they’re men.

Second, Romney in this instance was hiring for positions largely about optics: He wanted women in his cabinet so he could say he had women in his cabinet. He recruited women to be women—not cabinet members.

Third, the binders response raises the specter of a still more hideous idea. Before answering the question, Romney had been reminded that women earn about 72 percent what their male counterparts do—and his response was to say, “Exactly! That’s why, given half a chance, I hire women!” Bottom line, Romney recruits women because they look good and they come cheap.

Wow! That's some pretty heavy analysis. Regardless of how this plays out, it doesn't look good for old Mitt. He has a lot of 'spalining to do over the coming weeks.

Romney and the "binder blunder"

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
i know - i have it.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I think finding that he made the whole thing up would actually help him at this point.

Believing that he kept the profiles of women collected in a binder was just one more indicator to place him in the serial killer category.

- Doesn't drink
- Super conservative logic that's not consistant
- History of bullying
- Animal abuse
- Impersonation and stalking
- COLLECTING BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN

I think it's in his best interests if it came out that he was lying.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

OP's Title: Romney had no binders full of women - yet another stupid lie

"While Romney did get a binder listing qualified female candidates after being elected governor in 2003, reporter David S. Bernstein said, it was assembled not by his staff, but by a coalition of groups led by the bipartisan Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus"

Hmm.. Maybe your title should switch to reflect the actual lie..

It wasn't that he "had no binders" It was that they were given to him, not searched for by him.

And while I don't like Romney, this is dumb to be even talking about. Why should I care about a binder?
edit on 10/18/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

OP's Title: Romney had no binders full of women - yet another stupid lie

"While Romney did get a binder listing qualified female candidates after being elected governor in 2003, reporter David S. Bernstein said, it was assembled not by his staff, but by a coalition of groups led by the bipartisan Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus"

Hmm.. Maybe your title should switch to reflect the actual lie..

It wasn't that he "had no binders" It was that they were given to him, not searched for by him.

And while I don't like Romney, this is dumb to be even talking about. Why should I care about a binder?
edit on 10/18/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

fixed - thanks!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I dont care if he is lying or not, the jokes going around this morning are giving me laugh after laugh.

ERMAHGERD SER MERNY BERNDERS FERL ERV WERMERN

lmao

I am so grateful he said it.
edit on 18-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I dont care if he is lying or not, the jokes going around this morning are giving me laugh after laugh.

ERMAHGERD SER MERNY BERNDERS FERL ERV WERMERN

lmao

I am so grateful he said it.
edit on 18-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

I think we are all grateful he said it. I think he has a special divider in the back for "Single Moms Who Cause Gun Violence"

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Actually, the fact that it is quickly turning into a meme could really hurt him.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So as a governor he has no idea of who (woman) or women could fill a positon that they needed to fill.
number one mormons beleive that their women should be at home. HIs spiritual beleifs play in a big role here and I for one hope that women across this nation get real irratated about how he handles this matter!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Actually, the fact that it is quickly turning into a meme could really hurt him.

100%

This is SUCH a typical Mitt... first he says something stupid, and then it turns out he lied about it...

It's like him saying, "I punch babies in the face" only to find out he actually just saw a show about some guy who's nickname was baby, who also had a face.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I basically like what Wil Wheaton said:

note that in Romney’s story as he tells it, this man who had led and consulted for businesses for 25 years didn’t know any qualified women, or know where to find any qualified women. So what does that say?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I basically like what Wil Wheaton said:

note that in Romney’s story as he tells it, this man who had led and consulted for businesses for 25 years didn’t know any qualified women, or know where to find any qualified women. So what does that say?

Bingo!

Plus:

Romney, however, did not have a history of appointing women to high-level positions in the private sector. Romney did not have any women partners as CEO of Bain Capital during the 1980s and 1990s.

www.boston.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Binders Full of Women has a facebook page:

www.facebook.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Over 5 million women have just left the work force during the last 4 years. Fewer women are working today than when Obama took office. And so of the people who have been hit the hardest are women.

92.3 percent of the job losses during the Obama years has been women who’ve lost those jobs. The real war on women has been the job losses as a result of the Obama economy

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Hey, I was going to make a thread about this lie. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to pick one of his other many lies to do a thread on.

His Binders full of women comment wasn't only a lie, it was very dis-respecful to women. When Romney needs to hire a qualified women, he needs a catalog because in his mind they are so rare and he doesn't really know any of them personally.

Also, Romney was nice enough to let women go home early so she could get her ass back in the kitchen and make dinner.

www.foxnews.com...

But number two, because I recognized that if you're going to have women in the workforce that sometimes you need to be more flexible. My chief of staff, for instance, had two kids that were still in school.

She said, I can't be here until 7 or 8 o'clock at night. I need to be able to get home at 5 o'clock so I can be there for making dinner for my kids and being with them when they get home from school. So we said fine. Let's have a flexible schedule so you can have hours that work for you.

Romney just doesn't get it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Surfrat
Over 5 million women have just left the work force during the last 4 years. Fewer women are working today than when Obama took office. And so of the people who have been hit the hardest are women.

92.3 percent of the job losses during the Obama years has been women who’ve lost those jobs. The real war on women has been the job losses as a result of the Obama economy

Well just who exactly do you think it is your when you start gutting the public sector employees? When you do this you are predominately firing women, you know the teachers, nurses, the people in the administrative offices. So why the hell are you blaming Obama, when it is largely the States under GOP control and a GOP controlled House setting the policy? Just more anything to bash Obama for, without even looking at the actual causes.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It's just so easy for Romney to become a meme.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Sooooooooooooooooooooo... partisanship has apparently sapped your intellect!

You claimed that Romney lied about getting binders of women and go on to provide direct quotes that he did, in fact, receive binders of women.

So, again, I believe your partisanship has made you blind to the obvious - he did not lie.

Liberals will go to any length, including looking foolish and ignorant, to prop up their candidate.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Sooooooooooooooooooooo... partisanship has apparently sapped your intellect!

You claimed that Romney lied about getting binders of women and go on to provide direct quotes that he did, in fact, receive binders of women.

So, again, I believe your partisanship has made you blind to the obvious - he did not lie.

Liberals will go to any length, including looking foolish and ignorant, to prop up their candidate.

No, but nice try.

I tried to make the title pithy and instead screwed up what he lied about. Because he did indeed lie.

When someone pointed it out, I realised my stupid mistake and changed the title.

He always lied, like all pathological liars, and this is just one of hundreds of documented examples.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join