It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One man cannot change the world.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Well for one thing, saying "change the world" can mean many things. If by 'world' you mean humanity or society then yes, one man can inspire change in the world. Would there still be change if the majority has no 'idea' to agree on? By your logic, no.

Would the nazis have affected the world without Hitler? No.
Would the Indian people have found freedom with a leader such as Ghandi? No.

Herds need their shepherds. That shepherd is one man.

Herds exist without shepherds.
Shepherds do not exist without herds.

Herds changed the world long before an intelligence developed that thought it needed to lead them.
Shepherds frequently find themselves overrun by their herds when they forget who really needs who most.

A shepherd that forgets that ultimately they are there to serve the herd will lose the herd, starve, and the herd will survive just fine unless the shepherd has unnecessarily weakened them from the natural strength they found them with.

We have more shepherds now than ever before in our recorded history. How's the herd doing these days?
edit on 18-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConclusion

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Well for one thing, saying "change the world" can mean many things. If by 'world' you mean humanity or society then yes, one man can inspire change in the world. Would there still be change if the majority has no 'idea' to agree on? By your logic, no.

Would the nazis have affected the world without Hitler? No.
Would the Indian people have found freedom with a leader such as Ghandi? No.

Herds need their shepherds. That shepherd is one man.

Herds exist without shepherds.
Shepherds do not exist without herds.

Herds changed the world long before an intelligence developed that thought it needed to lead them.
Shepherds frequently find themselves overrun by their herds when they forget who really needs who most.

A shepherd that forgets that ultimately they are there to serve the herd will lose the herd, starve, and the herd will survive just fine unless the shepherd has unnecessarily weakened them from the natural strength they found them with.
edit on 18-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

I'm not arguing that shepherds exist or not. Of course a man exists within humanity and is an integral part of it. And yes he needs the herd, much like an individual needs some humanity to inflict change. Maybe it was a bad analogy.

Maybe this one will work better: In order to burn down a forest, one needs fire. But can a fire light itself? Or does it need a spark?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

In an environment ripe for burning, any spark will do. The fuel will take it from there.

Inflating the importance of the spark is to forget the spark without fuel is "lifeless" and makes no mark. The fuel will burn when *any* spark is introduced and will burn according to the nature of the fuel, not the nature of the spark.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConclusion

Great answer. I can't deny your words. At least we can agree that 1 spark can start a fire and be the catalyst to change—much like one man can rally millions under one banner.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Risingfall

One man cannot change the world but together, we can change the Universe.

Check through history. One man has frequently changed the world. Be all that you can be: yourself. People are not created equal.

Sir Isacc Newton invented calculus ... it changed the world. Thomas Edison invented the light bulb ... it changed the world. Alexander Bell invented the telephone ... it changed the world. James Watt made the first useful steam engine ... it changed the world. There are many examples of this. "Togetherness" is liberal hype. Do we need a society? Yes, because there are many things that combine to make up our lives and our living conditions. One person cannot cover all of the bases at the same time.

Still, one person can definatelty change the world; and, generally better and faster than a "touchy-feel" group in a hug. There are, indeed, people who can contribute a great deal more than the average person.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Risingfall

Am I happy?
Are the people around me happy?

I really liked your OP. One thing that I have learned is that each and every one of us has the power to change the reality we live in by following the two steps you outlined above. It is important to focus on the happiness of those around you as well, because wouldn't you rather be surrounded by happy people? Those who surround you are part of your existence.

In my life, by following these two simple steps, I have effectively lived in paradise no matter what conditions I've been in.
edit on 19-10-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
One man already did. His name was Jesus Christ.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Actually, if human are a holographic expression of the universe, then so is everything else, including the Earth.
Change, no matter how big, starts with individuals. So essentially, it is always "one" person who creates and spreads change.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by D377MC

One man already did. His name was Jesus Christ.

Yea, one man did. His name was Jesus Christ.
Yea, one man did. His name was Mohammed.
Yea, one man did. His name was Buddha.
Yea, one man did. His name was Krishna.

Ignore all the flaws, discrepancies, and shortcomings of your chosen story, due to fear of prosecution, and promises of reward. Or you could always lead life by example, as Jesus stresses to the unlistening followers. Did Jesus really say, "worship me for the rest of your eternity." Or did he say, "do as I do, and you can become like me."?

These are great problems with an adolescent humanity...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Ghandi, Hitler, Buddha, Jesus, Einstein, Nobel, Marx, Darwin, Julius Caesar, Socrates, Ghengis Khan, Adam Smith, Shakespeare, Rosa Parks...

Should I go on?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Precisely. All or most of the problems we face as a species, being human problems MUST by their very nature require human solutions.

It's our madness and strong delusion that is our problem. It is very pleasing therefore to see so many people on the spiritual journey and the path of self improvement and conscious self-realization.

We'll get there yet, somehow.. one generation of up and comers is really all we need.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
"He led no armies into battle, he conquered no countries, and he enslaved no peoples... Nonetheless, he exerted a degree of power the magnitude of which no warrior ever dreamed. His name still commands a respect as sweeping in scope and as world-wide as that of any other mortal - a devotion rooted deep in human gratitude and untainted by the bias that is often associated with race, color, politics, and religion."

"Be courageous! Whatever setbacks America has encountered, it has always emerged as a stronger and more prosperous nation...."

"Be brave as your fathers before you. Have faith and go forward"

Thomas Alva Edison

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Risingfall

reply to post by AthlonSavage

Amazing huh?

My belief is that we are the ultimate killing and destorying weapons. Throw a few humans at Mars, release that energy and Mars is now dust floating in space, LOL. explode us all together and the Universe is basicly f#cked lol.

On a serious note, My belief is that we are consioussness in holographic vessels through which we can operate. Since consiousness is all that is, all potential, we can create and destroy about...anything really. All technology in the world is nothing compared with what fully operational concioussness can do. Basicly we are everything and everything is us. I had one experience in my dreams where I was, kinda hard to explain, everything lol. I was pure consioussness. Its hard to imagine to put all that space in one human body. Being human is both a blessing and a curse.

Peace brother

I think we humans have a pretty fancy opinion of ourselves. I admit we are clever. But to take credit for the creation and evolution of the physical universe, to claim it as a product of our collective consciousness might be a stretch. I read a story somewhere and if I remember it right all that exists as the physical is the result of a collaboration of conscious collectives. whose joy, pleasure and purpose is to create new physical spaces and realities.

All this stuff has to come from somewhere. Might as well think it comes out of our mind. The world is here. It may seem mundane enough, but life fills us with what seems to be boundless implications, and at the same time our physical reality, from where ever it comes , denies us the experience of existence out side of life.

So can we, in our physical state of being. access that collective creative consciousness that is responsible for all? Or is that activity reserved for when we are in the state of pure consciousness. Can human souls change the reality in which they currently exist? Or must we depend on the others who are on vacation from this worldly woe? And who in collaboration with the others, that are similarly disengaged, think into being a new physical reality and law.

It gets heady. I'm a bit skeptical. Maybe we're just here buffeted about by packets of energy similar to those that make up our experience of being. And the only consideration we have been given is the promise of serenity, with no specific delivery. date.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

one man cannot change the world but one mans words can inspire change in the masses. So really yes one man can change the world.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Question...where does this Holographic Projection Generate itself from?
Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I find it hard enough to change me. Let alone the world..

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Thanks! I would say that we are in agreement enough to not warrant disagreement.

I think an exploration of whether the instigator person is an instigating spark or simply the origin point of a spontaneous combustion is worth having, but today I'd rather spend the time having brunch with a friend and trying to finish a creative effort.

Take care.
edit on 21-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

I find it hard enough to change me. Let alone the world...

There's something worth exploring in that thread of thought you've started plucking there...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I love this thread.
Personally I try to focus on the second option , I try to make sure everyone around me is happy , but its sometimes hard to do so when the people around you don't give a sh*t about your feelings.
Its nice to see a simplistic creative thread like this once in a while , a thread that doesn't need stacks of links and photos to prove the point the author is trying to make. This thread is just simple and nice and there's not really many ways it could be doubted.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join