Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Spherical light after lightening strike

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hey guys, 2000th post here.

Well here's my story about a ball of light I saw after a lighting strike right in front of me. This happened about 2 hours ago.

I was stacking hay with my buddies and some others.. about 250+ stacks of hay and it had to be done then and there. A storm was arising and we were trying to get this hay loaded on the trailer l. If you live in the south you prolly just got over this storm. It was a very bad storm, tornadoes, hail, flooding, heavy rain/lightening.

My buddies and I had finished the job and they were talking me back to my truck wilhich was about 10 miles in town. I get to my truck and I set sail for home (when I say "set sail", it is kinda punny because it was storming pretty bad. I am driving through the last bit of town on a desolate road. I see a lightening strike right in front of me about 40-50 feet away. It was spectacular because I've never seen lighting this close! This is where the weird part is. There was a ball of about a foot big judging by distance. That pretty much creeper towards the ground very slowly and I think it dissapeared. I was staring at it the whole time it happened, but I had to refocus on the road because there was flooding.

I have no clue what this library was hut it just kinda slowly moved towards the ground. It was the same color as the lighting which was white. Please excuse any grammatical errors as I am typing this on my android..

Anyone ever seen something like this? It really almost looked like a UFO if it would of been in the sky!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Ball lightning, always something that I have wanted to see myself.I have seen plenty of lightning strikes close up but none have ever turned into ball lightning.Good thing you were in a car/truck they sometimes gravitate towards things before fading out.A friend of a friend of mine was once chased by ball lightning during a storm/lightning strike at a foundry he worked in up in New Hampshire, chased him quite a ways before it faded out.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Conceals

Conceals,
I'm happy I found someone else who has seen this. During a very big storm a few months back, it was lightening like crazy! I was literally scared driving through it because it was striking all around me. Then I saw something I ad never seen. Over the trees to my left after a big strike was a huge ball of light, electricity obviously. The one i saw was red/orangish, and very bright and literally a ball. It scared me because I had never see something like that. When I told my dad he said its very rare, he suggested ball lightening and St. Elmos fire. Google it to see if it's anything like what you saw!

St. Elmo's fire (also St. Elmo's light[1][2]) is a weather phenomenon in which luminous plasma is created by a coronal discharge from a sharp or pointed object in a strong electric field in the atmosphere (such as those generated by thunderstorms).

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katharos62191
The one i saw was red/orangish, and very bright and literally a ball. It scared me because I had never see something like that. When I told my dad he said its very rare, he suggested ball lightening and St. Elmos fire. Google it to see if it's anything like what you saw!

Cool. How long did it last? Did it "pulsate?" Did it fade slowly or just wink out? Thanks.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'd say possibly some sort of plasma ball. Same thing that comes out of the sun occasionally that people discuss here. They say that sometimes antimatter shoots up into the atmosphere from severe thunderstorms also, or at least they think it is antimatter. I guess we still got a lot to learn, saying something is ball lightning when other phenomenon are possible isn't right either, either way whatever it is is probably dangerous. I am sure that there are some scientists that can tell the difference if they observe things, but without observing them they could only give some options. The ball lightning I have seen was sort of like a comet and very bright. It moves around slow then goes fast, when it hits something it kind of destroys it. I don't think I have seen what they call plasma balls yet. I love sitting on the porch watching lightning in the summer, someday I may get hit but it will be worth the enjoyment I have had all my life..

edit on 18-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join