Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What do you get from ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
for me it is the balance of moderators and users , people can state their opinion no mater how off the wall the only censorship their is is when someone is just being plain rude. we fight and argue like a dysfunctional family it's a home away from home . I been to some other similar sites but it's the vibe I get from this community I enjoy and keep coming back .

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

But you DO get it. I'm glad you are another member here.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

You have something with the dysfunctional family analogy. We are all that, dysfunctional, and family, and huge group posting all our thoughts, simultaneously, and then sorting through them all.

That's clever. You get a crab in your underpants.
You better watch, the family grows on you.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Sclerosis. My favorite drinking game is to do a shot every time I see a post get removed. This is why I'm only here for about an hour per week. That's how long it takes to pass out for the next few days.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
As always...great thread Druid.....and I really had to think about your question...lol...which right off the bat is a major thing I get from ATS....is making me think "outside" the box....

I have gained knowledge, insight, and mostly a "sane" place to talk about important issues, a reflection of ideas and concepts worth consideration...and the wonderful gift of some pretty cool friendships.....my friends in the avatar thread made me cry they are all soo cool and kind.......♥

But to the "Heart" of this question for me actually runs kinda deep ......Having been a shallow, fortunate, compared to many, girl much of my life, I feel a sort of "duty" to use my " abilities" to reach people on a playing ground I understand all to well...we are dealing with painful realities...and it is NOT easy to go into these discussions without as much information as possible...I guess to sum it up...I hope what I learn here, I can pass on to others that would probably never come to ATS....
edit on 18-10-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by NaeBabii
I will be completely honest.... because I KNEW I wasn't alone in my experiences, thoughts, ideas and curiosities, but couldn't reach out to anyone around me. Here, I knew I would find like minded people, people who are interested in and have experienced the same things. People who are knowledgeable.

Here, I can post exactly what I am thinking or what I want to talk discuss, and the people who ALSO ARE interested in those things, will respond.

I don't want to keep repeating the same story only to receive blank stares in return, or the more common "Are you crazy? That stuff isn't real."

But the above also touches on convenience. It's so convenient to only type one thread on that topic, then come back when I have time to find out what others think. I often don't have time to have these conversations at length with people I am around during the day.

I take away from this site things to consider, things to research. I am ever learning.

I am thankful for the other intelligent, curious souls on this forum.

Well, as odd as our family is, WELCOME!

It's up to you to sit in the corner, or shine, or hang on a hypothetical sidelines watching it all. Popcorn? Soda?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

What do I get?

Simple enjoyment, really. If I didn't like the people, then I wouldn't show up. This is a people-generated site. So it's the people that keep me coming back day after day after day after day. . . . .

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
People here are different. There's no denying that. Never found a place that could irritate me so, make me laugh till I cry, get some tears out of me without the laughing, blow my mind and teach me so much.

Hell I get to talk to people across the globe, from all walks of life, and see all these different insights into things.

It's more like family here. I may stray off to other forums, but this one is the best. No way around it.

I'm fond of you ##############

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But don't you get people in "normal society"? Your neighbors? In real life? You come here for people, but shouldn't those people be a reflection of your peers in real life.

DANG!

Yeah.

I get it now, beez.

This is real.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
People here are different. There's no denying that. Never found a place that could irritate me so, make me laugh till I cry, get some tears out of me without the laughing, blow my mind and teach me so much.

Hell I get to talk to people across the globe, from all walks of life, and see all these different insights into things.

It's more like family here. I may stray off to other forums, but this one is the best. No way around it.

I'm fond of you ##############

I think you stated it best, Domo. Honestly.

Yeah. It's about seeing the differences in people that make us unique. That is the strength of ATS. That's the family.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Don't lie Beez, you just want to extort free cookies from the new members. I've seen you. We were all discussing having a little intervention... You're cute and fluffy now but we worry about the future...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by beezzer

But don't you get people in "normal society"? Your neighbors? In real life? You come here for people, but shouldn't those people be a reflection of your peers in real life.

DANG!

Yeah.

I get it now, beez.

This is real.

I'm srrounded by military people every day.

Normal?

What's that?

Here, I can actually be myself. No restraint, free to express myself, free to pontificate, and the friends I make here are made NOT because of rank, social grouping, but by simple ideas that are shared.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by beezzer

Don't lie Beez, you just want to extort free cookies from the new members. I've seen you. We were all discussing having a little intervention... You're cute and fluffy now but we worry about the future...

I can quit any time.
(scratches arm)

Just don't wanna.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Ive been to other sites, but ATS has one thing, many don't have.

Character.

And if anyone, who comes regularly says they haven't learned something here, I would have to call their bluff.

edit on 18-10-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
So, the ops question is really two fold.

Why do I read ATS?

I use ATS because it's the best news and discussion on any topic around.

Why do I contribute to ATS.

I choose to add to ATS by threads and discussion because I believe I can sometimes offer a unique viewpoint that has not been mentioned in the thread yet. What do I get from this? The belief that others are better off now that they have had a chance to consider these view points helping to make them a more well rounded more knowledgeable individual. I believe in a good discussion all possibilities should be talked about. You just never know when some aspect of a discussion will effect your real life.

Then of course, I could be just another ATS egomaniac.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

What do I get from ATS? Hrm....

1) Some days a reason to be.
2) Some days something to do.
3) Some days in trouble and yelled at!

4) Some days angry
5) Some days trolled.
6) Some days Excedrin headaches #'s 7, 28, 31, 54, 119 - and the dreaded #136
7) Most days - education from one of the most diverse communities I've encountered in the real world or over a 25 year Internet journey
8) Most days, distraction from the hassles of reality.
9) Always an adventure.
10) Always a community worth being a part of!

And friends. In the end, that's really what this is about for me. The people. The subject matter? It comes and goes. It's the window dressing. It's the people here... YOU... that's what makes ATS special.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
A nice pay check from the government.

I mean... High blood pressure?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I keep coming back here simply because this is an amazing source for knowledge. You have to sort the wheat from the chaff on occasion, but i have learnt so much here.

edit on 18-10-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The reason i came here is to learn and this home offers some of the best content that you just can't find anywhere else sometimes.

I also enjoy laughing at how funny some people here are

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
yeah, there are some good topics or else it wouldn't be daylight outside.

That's why I have to take lengthy ATS breaks, I have to get other things done.
edit on 18-10-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join