It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you get from ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It's said that once you experience ATS, you'll never go to another forum. I agree.

There's always the normal flux of new members, and also members that say they joined 2 years ago and this is their first post. I wag my head in wonder. How can you lurk, and never comment?

Aside of that, the point of this OP is to let members give their opinions of what they DO get from ATS.

I love formal debate. I am active in the debate forum.

I love to read, and write, so I am active in the short story forum.

I love a lot of different subjects, so I can state I have 22 different forums in MyATS. I lurk those forums, and comment accordingly.

There's been many ATS sponsored games. The latest was the time travel game, and I was totally impressed how we, as a community, solved the puzzle. I was involved, running updates, but collectively, we busted it. That was fun. The winner got an Ipad. Kudos.

There's something under the seams, something about ATS that draws us back. It's not that ATS has all the easy answers to the conspiracies that plague us, it's that ATS allows us to share our thoughts, in so many different forums, and THAT is what makes ATS our home on the internet.

It's true, news is reported here often two days before it hits MSM, if at all. The members here know this site is all about user generated content, and they exemplify themselves by providing content on their own volition. That to me, is amazing.

Here is where I add the skunk.

People don't have to contribute to a conspiracy website. There's no obligation. Honest. What you read here, is all voluntary.

Why do people do that? Why do they give, and give, (Phage, you give, IMO the most, without recompense) to set facts straight? That's baffling to me, as a simple explanation, and I desire deeper explanations.

We give, because in some instance, we get something back.

Overall, can you say, as a member of ATS, have you learned something new? Explain.
edit on 10/17/12 by Druid42 because: edited the headline...ugh..bad formatting...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
It's said that once you experience ATS, you'll never go to another forum. I agree.

I disagree. No Harm No foul. To each there own. I suppose.

Now to the question

What do you get from ATS?

Simply.

Something to read. Another perspective. Thought. Understanding. Realization.

Lately just stuff.

But it is what it is. Just another forum like every other.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I get a lot. It's not easy for me to talk to new people in my everyday life so in a way ATS is a "social" outlet - it reminds me that there are other people out there. I get to read ideas and opinions that I probably would have never thought about before. Often I see how off base I am when it comes to things I've believed - I like that, it means I'm learning. I do like that news is often here before it's on CNN or whatever. I like finding people that think like me and people that are opposite of me. The list goes on and on.

I wouldn't say that I would never visit another forum but I will say that the feel of ATS is different than any other forum I have ever visited and that if I were to have to pick only one forum I could ever visit, it would be ATS - I think that has to do with the diversity of the site content.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

But yet you've posted 600, almost 700 posts. You came back. You're on that fringe. You give, and have given, 600 plus, closer to 700 posts. Why do you feel the need to post here, if it's "Just another forum?"

The premise is that ATS brings out the best in us, the worst, and it results in the best that humanity can provide.

A forum on the internet shouldn't do that to us. Unless, of course, we want it.

Do we?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
What do I get from ATS?
Info and shared thoughts .
And ,yes,Druid,you can get that at many sites.
It depends on your flavor of info and opinions.
It's varied.

I will not lie,I visit and I am a member of many places.
I have my ritual of sites I visit when I get home,sorting out the gold nuggets from the trash.
Some " alternative news" some mainstream.
The challenge is finding the truth.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

What do Manatees like, strawberries? I would feed those berries to you.

You get the point.

ATS is so diverse that there is no way to please everyone, yet everyone gets along. (Not always!)

Mind you, the staff effectively corrals us when we wander outside the T&Cs.

ATS, somehow balances the two. Between staff and user input. Such balance is dynamic, and respectable.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Hmmm, what I get from ATS.... well I get a sense of community like no other place. There was only one place I went to before this site, and it was just a few times, people were very rude, I would click between reading here and there, but felt that I was still to new to actually write something here.

It took me 2 years before I personally felt that I could contribute here, believe me that's not stretching it either, I still write here less then most members. I concentrate on threads mostly, I love to research, and I love a challenge even more than that.

There are many members that I consider friends here, that I have learned more from reading their threads and posts then I probably would in person, there is a depth by some members that is very fascinating to watch, especially with anonymity.

I have learned more here through reading the passions of other members, the debates, the feedback, that it would have taken me 20 years to read through. I don't really have a particular forum that I frequent, but if something catches my eye, I will read it, I tend to read more then I post. Yet I star and flag accordingly, especially if you post something I never heard of.

I love the ATS live show, I have been listening since it started and as far as I can tell they have helped me to lose some of my fear of public speaking, by the way, I think I have called in over 20 times, and have never heard myself
I wont even do the replays unless I can skip it.

I come here everyday, and I will continue to until... well, we all know that most of us can fill in the blank.

On a side note, thanks Druid for what you did the other day
that's the kind of community I want to be in, where there are people like the ones that you can only find on ATS!!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

You are such a whore. Ouch. I usually don't talk to friends like that.

You get the point. ATS doesn't have the exclusive on knowledge, it's not funded by a three letter agency, and we are left to our own opinions. Even though you won't admit it, ATS breaks the news 2-3 days before MSM. That's another reason to be a member here.

But yeah, there is no reason to remain exclusive to ATS, no binding that says so. Find your "many places".

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Hmmm, what I get from ATS.... well I get a sense of community like no other place. There was only one place I went to before this site, and it was just a few times, people were very rude, I would click between reading here and there, but felt that I was still to new to actually write something here.

It took me 2 years before I personally felt that I could contribute here, believe me that's not stretching it either, I still write here less then most members. I concentrate on threads mostly, I love to research, and I love a challenge even more than that.

There are many members that I consider friends here, that I have learned more from reading their threads and posts then I probably would in person, there is a depth by some members that is very fascinating to watch, especially with anonymity.

I have learned more here through reading the passions of other members, the debates, the feedback, that it would have taken me 20 years to read through. I don't really have a particular forum that I frequent, but if something catches my eye, I will read it, I tend to read more then I post. Yet I star and flag accordingly, especially if you post something I never heard of.

I love the ATS live show, I have been listening since it started and as far as I can tell they have helped me to lose some of my fear of public speaking, by the way, I think I have called in over 20 times, and have never heard myself
I wont even do the replays unless I can skip it.

I come here everyday, and I will continue to until... well, we all know that most of us can fill in the blank.

On a side note, thanks Druid for what you did the other day
that's the kind of community I want to be in, where there are people like the ones that you can only find on ATS!!

Peace, NRE.

The friendship.
Yes,the common ground for which we can not find amongst our family and friends.
We are the crazy ones,which I hear often.
Be it so ,but you and I know we are the ones who do not turn a blind eye to questionable things,and we will not be fooled.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I'm sorry I can only give you a Star for your thoughts, but I did that. I agree totally, and accept you as a fellow member. It's that simple.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
All i get lately is a headache..

too much to handle....

don't know what to believe anymore..

but i still love my ATS....

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

reply to post by kdog1982

You are such a whore. Ouch. I usually don't talk to friends like that.

You get the point. ATS doesn't have the exclusive on knowledge, it's not funded by a three letter agency, and we are left to our own opinions. Even though you won't admit it, ATS breaks the news 2-3 days before MSM. That's another reason to be a member here.

But yeah, there is no reason to remain exclusive to ATS, no binding that says so. Find your "many places".

Thanks dude,it is the truth.
Just think if you relied on one source for all your info.
Just think how well you could be manipulated.

Always explore your options,you will find there is no single source.
Sorry to sound so encrypted,it's just how it is..

Peace,

K

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
My answer is very simple. Here at ATS, I get great conversations about all kinds of amazing topics. Conversations the likes of which I've not had elsewhere. I've learned so much here and continue to do so every day.

I know of several ATSers that do frequent other conspiracy forums as well. I am not one of them. I prefer ATS and have no plans on leaving

If ATS has taught me one thing, it is to always keep an open mind, but not too open, otherwise your brain might fall out.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Well, you can believe that you'll get a star in a thread about ATS if you leave a comment. You got that.

It is complicated at times, but that's what keeps it from being boring.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

Well, DLH, we can't have your grey matter spilling about.

I agree.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie
My answer is very simple. Here at ATS, I get great conversations about all kinds of amazing topics. Conversations the likes of which I've not had elsewhere. I've learned so much here and continue to do so every day.

I know of several ATSers that do frequent other conspiracy forums as well. I am not one of them. I prefer ATS and have no plans on leaving

If ATS has taught me one thing, it is to always keep an open mind, but not too open, otherwise your brain might fall out.

So is it like a marriage?
You don't have to leave,you can explore and play around.
I'm here and there.

The best thing is discovering new knowledge and SHARING it.
To further educate people.

Isn't that our common goal is to spread information?

And expression.
< snip >
edit on 17-10-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/17/12 by Hefficide because: Here, you cannot.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

We like the seaweed at the bottom of the springs but won't turn up our snouts when it comes to strawberries either - we certainly don't get this fluffy and happy looking from being picky... lol

It certainly is quite the balancing act between users guiding content and keeping order. To make sure that new ideas are not suppressed while doing their best to keep the peace, the staff does a very good job in my opinion. It is sometimes a thankless job I would think. It takes a certain type of individual to do that and honestly I'm not sure that I could. I definitely respect the ability of those who can.

Of course not everyone will be happy but hey, that's life! And like you wrote, we come here voluntarily.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I will be completely honest.... because I KNEW I wasn't alone in my experiences, thoughts, ideas and curiosities, but couldn't reach out to anyone around me. Here, I knew I would find like minded people, people who are interested in and have experienced the same things. People who are knowledgeable.

Here, I can post exactly what I am thinking or what I want to talk discuss, and the people who ALSO ARE interested in those things, will respond.

I don't want to keep repeating the same story only to receive blank stares in return, or the more common "Are you crazy? That stuff isn't real."

But the above also touches on convenience. It's so convenient to only type one thread on that topic, then come back when I have time to find out what others think. I often don't have time to have these conversations at length with people I am around during the day.

I take away from this site things to consider, things to research. I am ever learning.

I am thankful for the other intelligent, curious souls on this forum.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join