It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not God I have a problem with...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Saw a cute bumper sticker today on my way home from work in Atlanta, thought I'd share.

"It's not God I have a problem with,
it's his fan club."

I saw that and almost said AMEN!

I was curious to how others view it? Thought this is as good a place as any to hear some conversations about it.

I myself was raised a Catholic but refused to be confirmed. I did not completely and without doubt believe in what my Catholic teachers taught me, and could not agree to confirmation on false pretences. I mean, what would I be confirming?

This caused a bit of a ruckus in my family. However, since then my mother has changed denominations for similar reasons. My father rarely practices any form of belief at all. My two brothers attend services here and there.

For me, I'm not opposed to a higher power. I'm not sure if I believe in one or not, but I don't think it's out of the question. I think Jesus really lived, as did any other historical figure prior to his birth. I don't know if everything that was written about him was true, but he seemed to have some good arguments that made a lot of sense. I liked the love thy neighbor stuff, helping those less fortunate, generally caring for those around you and those you have to share the planet with.

However, as I�ve grown up I've seen religion become something used to spread much frustration. I see too many instances of total obedience or perish in eternal hell. Some, not really hateful but negative, stuff that seem contradictory to the whole religion thing.

I'll tell you what though, I've just started to read about Judaism (sp?) and think it makes a few good points.

When I think about a higher power I doubt they actually pay attention to us. I mean, I'm sure they have more important things on the omnipotent level to attend to.

I don�t know... what does everyone else practice/believe? Any suggestions to look into?

[edit on 18-10-2004 by The Big O]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well I was raised and still am a devote Baptist. From my perspective it just seems like your looking for a religion that would suit you. Of course I could be wrong. There are many things about Christianity in general that I find hard to deal with, but isn't that what religion is all about, being faithful. Trusting in something even when you don't fully understand it?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Any religion at the 'institutional' level is corrupt. It was made by man and therefor must be corrupt at that level. i.e. their interpretations of the Bible may or may not be correct (how many different demoninations of christians do we have on the planet today?)

So, what do you do? Is all of christianaty corrupt?

I believe you shouldnt 'throw the baby out with the bath water'. What I am saying here is cross reference 'everything' with what the Bible says.

At the end of the day you have two options. Believe what the bible says, or what the institution says. I personally cant remember Christ promoting any specific institution when he was on earth.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
i was baptized Roman Catholic, then grew to hate it, but i was forced by my mom to go through CCD to finally confirm in Roman Catholicism. By that time i had completly stopped believing in God, my sophomore year in HS. Then last year, my freshman year in college, Jesus Christ forced himself into my life again, although i am no longer a Roman Catholic, i am actually a non-denominational Christian.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
God surely isn't the problem, it is the people who pretend to have an exclusive contract with him.

I believe in an all powerful entity, whereby his/her nature is instilled within us and we are meant to strive to overcome our frailties, our disparities, to be genuinely charitable to one another and to work together to be of one mind. The goal where we care for all, and are all for each other is the ultimate Heaven on earth, for I cannot imagine global peace without absolute brotherhood. Religion is political, defined by fallible mortals, purposely divisive in nature, each seeking the upper hand of control. Ours is an individual growth where we teach our descendents so that each new generation learns from our mistakes, and once each and every one of the living will have come to wholeheartedy believe in kindness and compassion for each other, we will all have tapped into God, and begin to share with him/her as one, his/her mysteries and omnipotence.

This is his/her patience and his/her gift. It is not to redeem a select few, or a certain faith, it is to allow an inferior form to grow, learn and then share with him/her his/her power, his/her beauty, his/her grace and his/her magnificent dwelling. And when we are there, we will have no need to usurp his/her strength for we already have the ultimate paradise and perfection, we are one.

[edit on 11/8/04 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I hope I'm not one of those people that bumper sticker was talking about. I'd started a thread on Below Top Secret called - Complaint Box: Christians to see what other input there is about the group.

I'd been aggressively agnostic, then after becoming Christian I'd read the book on my own for fifteen or so years.

Recently I'd found a church that seemed to believe in a lot of core values - come as you are (no dress code) to learn, treat others like you'd treat yourself, be yourself, give, care, etc. It took a little searching though but that's probably due to my own preferences. I tend to like churches that have a band, are not confusing, and have other stuff to get involved in like theatre.

Sorry about the unfavorable impression, but please know not all of us represent the ones that make the news.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Actually, I don't think the sticker singles out Christians. It can just as easily covers fanatical christians as it does crazy muslims, at least that's how I interpreted it

I think it's the omnipresent God of all relgions the sticker is refering to.

In regard to your church, I think that's a good start. Seems like you guys do the type of stuff Jesus actually talked about. Good for you, I wish the church the best of luck.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
With as little love I've found in this zone, I was surprised by the compliment ^_^

top topics

join