It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GSK have promised to share all trial data: should we trust them?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

GSK have promised to share all trial data: should we trust them?

www.badscience.net

Briefly: today, several people have asked for my response to this story in the Guardian, celebrating GSK’s promise for more transparency on their trial data.It is always good to hear a drug company making promises, and I hope that GSK will stick by the commitments they have made today.

But we should judge drug companies by their actions, not by their promises, especially when similar promises have been made in the past, and then broken.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.badscience.net
www.badscience.net
www.badscience.n et

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Lots of people are anti "big pharma", and even within the mainstreem science/medical community practices like not revealing negative trial results have been severly criticised - see the link to a couple of Ben Goldacre's other blog articles I have included that relate to dubious practices and the attempt to whitewash them as "historical".

is this going to be a sea change orthe industry? as Ben points out only time wil tell - promises have been made and broken in the past.

IMO suspicion should remain high until any change is demonstrated over enough time to show that it is real - an actual cultural change and not just a smokescreen.

Dont' hold your breath tho - it could take a while!!

www.badscience.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
GSK is one of the worst criminal offenders in the pharma industry. My initial reaction is "I doubt it", but after paying out what they have (billions in settlements) perhaps corporate policy is going to fit in with regulatory oversight, depending on risk/reward ratios.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Why break a good habit now? I wouldn't trust them to put the toilet seat down after a piss. I would trust them to do anything of greater value...why!?

No. Has there been any explanation for this outrageous change of heart? Maybe Archangel Raphael came and whispered in the board's collective ear, eh?

Who's the archangel of evil, money, and greed? Oh, yeah.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Fraud in Biomedical Research

There is no oversight that is beyond their ability to ... influence... money is speech... corporations are people.

Just sayin'

No matter what they promise... there will be provisos. As always with these .. people ..the devil's in the details.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If you were to hold your breath you'd pass out...

As someone who has worked within the industry (Mental Health) that uses a fair amount of GSK (and every other large Pharm Co) products for the last umpteen years...I wouldn't trust a single tiny weeny miniscule word they say.

Money talks, BS walks, and they've got both by the truckload.

However, I will say this:
Big Pharmas like GSK often cop the heat for such dodgy tactics.
One reality is that dodgy tactics exists because dodgy people allow them and indirectly reinforce them.

For instance...thinking in terms of illegal drugs...does the fault of problematic illegal drug use fall upon the producer, the supplier or the buyer?? I'd say its shared across all in varying degrees.

This will likely get me in trouble - and maybe deregistered, hahaha - but from working within such systems as Mental Health, gees, some 'experts' and 'clinicians' are just bloody lazy.
They would PREFER to just prescribe a *something* rather than actually get off their butts and nurse or actually effectively assess and thus assist someone towards recovery.

Its a ton easier to manage a large caseload when all you're really doing is medication administration, all you're really doing is checking that the chemical restraints are tight enough that the person isn't going to go tooo far off the deep end to make the papers and thus your career a living hell.
Sucks mightly to be stood up in front of the Nursing Council...so heck yeah, whack that boy with a full IMI of that stuff if it keeps him lethargic and 'locked down'...

Drs are the same.
Yeah not all, but more than a few.
Average Drs appt is half an hour if you're lucky...quarterly...hello, your life is being decided by some guy (or gal, lets not get too sexist now) who only sees you once every 3months?
Who has a waiting room full of patients backed up to get their precious half hour...

...oh you bet there's more than a little pressure then to do little more than a medication review and re-script before saying "Next please"...

These medications are being provided because there is a demand for them.
Some of that demand is generated by people who don't have the time, skill or inclination to do much more than medicate.

How does this relate to these supposedly open drug trails now?

Simple. Supply and demand will decide what happens.
Again - GSK isn't short of bucks or BS.
They'll find a way, another loophole, another process to keep it all pumping out there.

...and don't even get me started on how much money people like GSK go tossing around the mental health industry (and health in general) to win over a few more converted and committed peddlers of their poisons...

For a health industry its all more than a little sick...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm completely ignorant about these things, so I'll ask an ignorant question. Assume for the moment that you can't trust GSK, what difference does that make to anyone but lawyers and governments?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Probably not a huge amount of difference.

Here's the thing...much of the evidenced 'efficacy' that GSK (and others) pimps out there while promoting their product is just total BS when you start looking deeper into what their numbers are saying, and where/how they acquired them in all their so-called 'expert blind tests'.

You'd probably gain just as much overall benefit if you were just to have a coke and smile, as opposed to being scripted Whatever-a-ril or Thingamebob-a-pam they're selling...

Somewhat humorous addition:
After years of bagging the heck out of the Pharma Co Drug Reps who'd visit the services/hospitals I worked in, one large Pharma Co approached me and offered me a job as one of their Australasian Drug Reps...told them I wasn't keen to sling their shyte for no amount of money...
...then I saw the amount of money they were offering...daaayum...could have retired early on that wicket...

...ahh well, the price you pay sometimes to hold some morals...

edit on 17-10-2012 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

"Whatever-a-ril or Thingamebob-a-pam they're selling"

LMFAO! That is the funniest thing I've read in months.

GSK, let me look up their products. As an Air Force vet who had to get all of those shots again, I am interested to know why I got flulike symptoms in basic training and eventual dementia (!) after leaving the service (had two anthrax pricks).

WIKIPEDIA on GSK:

GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK) (LSE: GSK, NYSE: GSK) is a British multinational pharmaceutical, biologics, vaccines and consumer healthcare company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the world's fourth-largest pharmaceutical company measured by 2009 prescription drug sales (after Pfizer, Novartis, and Sanofi).[3] It was established in 2000 by the merger of Glaxo Wellcome plc (formed from the acquisition of Wellcome plc by Glaxo plc) and SmithKline Beecham plc (formed from the merger of Beecham plc and SmithKline Beckman Corporation, which was formed by combining the Smith Kline French and Beckman companies).

GSK has a portfolio of products for major disease areas including asthma, cancer, virus control, infections, mental health, diabetes, and digestive conditions.[4] It also has a large consumer healthcare division which produces and markets oral healthcare and nutritional products and over-the-counter medicines including Sensodyne, Boost, Horlicks, and Gaviscon.[4][5] In July 2012, GSK pleaded guilty to criminal charges and agreed to a $3 billion settlement of the largest health-care fraud case in the U.S. and the largest payment by a drug company in the US.[6][7] The settlement is related to the company's illegal promotion of best-selling anti-depressants and its failure to report safety data about a top diabetes drug.[8]

GSK has a primary listing on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. As of 6 July 2012, it had a market capitalisation of £74.8 billion, the fifth-largest of any company listed on the London Stock Exchange.[9] It has a secondary listing on the New York Stock Exchange.

They are making untold billions farming our illnesses. While we sit in the darkness of GMO that blocks vitamin receptors and medications that block our own chemical processes. And people like... not gonna say the skinny billionaire geek's name this time... you-know-who (lol harry potter) invest quite heavily in such.... things as big pharma. Because "the return on vaccines is enormous", according to said billionaire hamster lover.

May you British heroes continue to oppose the iron curtain of Health Ignorance being foisted on the public.
One thing going for Britain today is medically aware citizens. please fight the good fight.

GARDE BIEN
HAZARD YET FORWARD
LOOK WELL

Trademark Generic
ACWY Vax Meningococcal polysaccharides serogroups A, C, W135 and Y
Ambirix Hepatitis A (inactivated) and hepatitis B (rDNA) (HAB) vaccine (adsorbed)
Boostrix tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis vaccine, adsorbed
Cervarix Human Papillomavirus vaccine (types 16, 18) - recombinant, adjuvanted, adsorbed
Engerix-B Hepatitis B Vaccine (Recombinant)
Fendrix Hepatitis B (rDNA) vaccine (adjuvanted, adsorbed)
Fluarix Influenza vaccine
FluLaval Influenza vaccine
Havrix Hepatitis A vaccine, inactivated
Hepatyrix Hepatitis A (inactivated, adsorbed) and Typhoid Polysaccharide vaccine
Hiberix haemophilus B conjugate vaccine (tetanus toxoid conjugate)
Infanrix diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine adsorbed
Infanrix IPV diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (acellular, component) and poliomyelitis (inactivated) vaccine (adsorbed)
Kinrix diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis adsorbed and inactivated poliovirus vaccine
Menhibrix meningococcal groups C and Y and haemophilus b tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine
Menitorix combined Haemophilus influenzae type b and Neisseria meningitidis group C (Hib-MenC) conjugate vaccines
Nimenrix meningococcal group A, C, W-135 and Y conjugate vaccine
Pandemrix influenza vaccine (split virion, inactivated)
Pediarix diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis adsorbed, hepatitis B (recombinant) and inactivated poliovirus vaccine combined
Priorix measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (live attenuated virus)
Rotarix human rotavirus vaccine, live attenuated
Synflorix Pneumococcal polysaccharide conjugate vaccine (adsorbed)
Twinrix combined hepatitis A (inactivated virus) and hepatitis B vaccine (genetically derived surface antigen)
Typherix typhoid vaccine (purified polysaccharide antigen)
Varilrix varicella in healthy adults and adolescents

edit on 18-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: vax data

They shouldn't IX us to do these things to ourselves.

edit on 18-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: ix

RED FLAG: www.gifteddevelopment.com...
Exceptionally and Profoundly Gifted Children*

Dr. Karen Rogers
Associate Professor of Gifted Studies
University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota
Medical Issues

85% of the children had had ear infections.

52% have high pain tolerance.

44% have allergies and 9.6% have asthma.

The most significant allergy mentioned was to milk (35% of the allergic children).

The next highest allergy mentioned was trees (8.2%).
edit on 18-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

top topics

join