It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There was no good reason for dropping Nukes on Japan during WW II

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

As a direct result of the Yalta conference no surrender other than unconditional was to be accepted. That "surrender" that Japan offered was, by all accounts, very conditional. So, no, it wasn't accepted.

Right or wrong, that still leaves the three alternatives.

When one starts a war of aggression and is losing, don't expect to be able to dictate conditions of ending it. It generally doesn't work that way.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

You do know why the United States stopped selling oil to Japan? Might it have something to do with their actions in China? Nanking. The "Panay" incident. Both those and other reasons were the basis for the embargo on oil to Japan.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
To the victor go the spoils of war. Allways has been allways will be! I also might add its the Victors who write the history books so im sure we all believe in some historical inaccuracies regarding WW2! Thats not to say the right team did not win in the end!
edit on 18-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

I've noticed the rest of the world delights in second-guessing our historical decisions because we've made bad decisions in recent decades.

At the end of WWII the world was relieved we'd ended the war swiftly and decisively, but I guess that doesn't matter to people today, 67 years later.

It's easy to second-guess men at a distance from the comfort of your chair. Put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes. Close your eyes and really imagine what it must have been like then.

I'm not going to question the men who made the decisions. I didn't know what they knew.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
america did not want the Soviets to gain any Japaneses land.
Like Germany.

America the Only one to use TRUE weapons of mass destruction on Civilians.

america dropt a great deal of incendiary bombs on jap city's.
not on two city's. they wanted a clean slate.
so they could see ALL the damaged a nuc dose.
they had planed it long before. Evil.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Yes, America, the Great Satan, burn in hell all you fat, lazy, stupid foolish Americans.

Get it out of your systems all you who hate the United States. Spew your vitriol, bring your bile, heap it upon us.

The great lady in the harbor asks that you bring us your wretched refuse. Dump your garbage here. We'll take all you've got.

Do you feel better now?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The Japanese never wanted to surrender.They were too fanatical for that.

Lets not forget that a lot of Japanese soldiers continued fighting even after the war.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
My Dad was on a troup ship headed for the invasion of Japan when the bombs were dropped. There would have been at least 100,000 Americans lost in an invasion. The bombs were dropped and he was part of the occupying force after Japans surrender. He feels the atomic bombs were what saved his life. He also has a picture of himself arm in arm with a Japanese civilian who told him the bombs probably saved his life also. Japan was tired of war and some of them felt this was a route to the quickest ending

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Psychopath is a relative term.

What would you classify the act of bombing Pearl Harbor as?

nanu nanu

what did America know about false flags in the 1940s?

the act was nothing compared to two nukes but wars are with losses.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Here's the difference and what makes what America did wrong.

Pearl harbour was a military site strategically bombed. The nukes were dropped on cities, the public.

Nothing short of terrorism under the guise of war, I think the sickos who gave the orders just wanted to see how destructive their bombs were, not caring how much life would perish, I think they liked it.
edit on 18-10-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Yes, military men are less human than civilians. I never could put my finger on it but that's got to be it. Military men are different somehow because they wear a uniform or something. They bleed a different color or they don't feel pain or no one misses them when they die. Something like that, right?

Stupid me.

War is war.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Yes, military men are less human than civilians. I never could put my finger on it but that's got to be it. Military men are different somehow because they wear a uniform or something. They bleed a different color or they don't feel pain or no one misses them when they die. Something like that, right?

Stupid me.

War is war.

Yep, stupid you, that's what they singed up for is it not?

To kill or be killed, perks of the job.
edit on 18-10-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

It is not necessary to resort to personal insults. I believe there is something about it in the Terms and Conditions of this site.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I didn't insult you you said it I agreed. You insulted yourself! Is there anything in T&Cs about that?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You have no respect for anyone including yourself. You know very well what I'm talking about.

War is war. If Japan didn't want to be bombed, et al, it shouldn't have bombed us and it should have surrendered when it had numerous opportunities to do so.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Get off your high horse will you, woah, mind you don't fall. The destruction caused by those bombs was a bully tactic and to show the world the might the us military had. It's killing because you can. Dress it up with,"it's warfare" all you like, if it makes you feel better. Deep down you know killing is wrong and on a mass scale like that is evil.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

How old are you? Are you in the US, or elsewhere?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

How old are you? Are you in the US, or elsewhere?

Old enough to know better. Mid 30s

I'm here in the uk

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

It was us or them and I'm glad it was them. They had numerous chances to surrender and they didn't. They brought it upon themselves with their stubborn attitude.

They shouldn't have bombed Pearl Harbor. Perhaps we wouldn't have been so ruthless if they had thought twice about attacking us in such a fashion.

Older Americans have NOT FORGOTTEN.

With all due respect Sir, when you write "they" does that include all the innocent people that were killed? I LOVE my country as much as you, however I cannot get past the act of taking innocent lives to prove a point...and that applies to anyone and everyone no matter where they reside.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Do you make the same decisions you did when you were 10? When you were 20?

You will not make the same decisions when you're 40, 50, etc.

You'll look back when you're 60 and say "I made some bad decisions when I was 20. I wish I could go back and change them." But you won't be able to and you'll have to live with that for the rest of your life.

So, too, did the men who made the decision to drop the bomb and the men who actually did drop it. One of the latter committed suicide because he felt such guilt. No one went unscathed.

I say this not to minimize the events we're discussing but to emphasize the point that it is too easy to judge from a distance what others thought was right at the time. I understand that you disagree with what they did, but know that they are paying for their mistakes in the ultimate court of law.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join