It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Plot to Blow Up NY Federal Reserve Foiled

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

BREAKING: Plot to Blow Up NY Federal Reserve Foiled

news.blogs.cnn.com

A man has been arrested for planning to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, according to a federal law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation.

The man was arrested as part of a string operation conducted by the FBI and NYPD as part of the Joint Terrorism Task Force, a federal law enforcement source said.

"Attempting to destroy a landmark building and kill or maim untold numbers of innocent bystanders is about as serious as the imagination can conjure. The defendant faces appropriately severe consequences...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-10-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Crazy stuff. A 1000 lb bomb, a crazy guy, and a crazy plot foiled.

Is this a terrorists next move? To screw up the government's banking scheme? What is going on in this world?!?!

I have CNN running in the background as I work in my office so I am hearing it live.

What are your thoughts ATS?

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Man arrested in plot to blow up Federal Reserve bank in New York

news.blogs.cnn.com...

[Posted at 3:56 p.m. ET] We now have some more detail about the plot to blow up the reserve bank from a press release that breaks down the criminal complaint filed against Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis:

The Bangladeshi national allegedly came to the United States in January to carry out a terror attack on U.S. soil and said he had overseas connections to al-Qaeda. As he attempted to recruit others to join his cell, he tried to recruit someone who turned out to be an FBI source, the criminal complaint says.

Nafis initially had a few targets in mind, according to the complaint, including "a high-ranking U.S. official and the New York Stock Exchange." In the end, Nafis settled on the New York Federal Reserve Bank, federal officials said.

"In a written statement intended to claim responsibility for the terrorist bombing of the Federal Reserve Bank on behalf of al-Qaeda, Nafis wrote that he wanted to 'destroy America' and that he believed the most efficient way to accomplish this goal was to target America’s economy," the Justice Department press release said. "In this statement, Nafis also included quotations from 'our beloved Sheikh Osama bin Laden' to justify the fact that Nafis expected that the attack would involve the killing of women and children."

The "explosives that he allegedly sought and attempted to use had been rendered inoperable by law enforcement and posed no threat to the public," according to a statement from U.S. Attorney Loretta E. Lynch.

[Posted at 3:41 p.m. ET] Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, was arrested for allegedly attempting to detonate what he thought was a 1,000-pound bomb at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in Manhattan, the Department of Justice and a U.S. attorney's office said in a press release.

He will be charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to provide material support to al-Qaeda, the press release said.

[Posted at 3: 40 p.m. ET] A man has been arrested for planning to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, according to a federal law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation.

The man was arrested as part of a string operation conducted by the FBI and NYPD as part of the Joint Terrorism Task Force, a federal law enforcement source said.

"Attempting to destroy a landmark building and kill or maim untold numbers of innocent bystanders is about as serious as the imagination can conjure. The defendant faces appropriately severe consequences," FBI Acting Assistant Director Mary Galligan said in a statement. "It is important to emphasize that the public was never at risk in this case, because two of the defendant’s ‘accomplices’ were actually an FBI source and an FBI undercover agent. The FBI continues to place the highest priority on preventing acts of terrorism."

edit on 17-10-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: updated post with LATEST NEWS information from CNN News blog

edit on 17-10-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

+32 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

THERE WE GO AGAIN! You're Godd*mn own American police force and bureau entrapping these people.
ALL of these crazies wouldn't have been able to even start the first step without being ployed into it.

This is gross.
edit on 17-10-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
why would you forget this part? not much of an article, lol

Director Mary Galligan said in a statement. "It is important to emphasize that the public was never at risk in this case, because two of the defendant’s ‘accomplices’ were actually an FBI source and an FBI undercover agent. The FBI continues to place the highest priority on preventing acts of terrorism."

edit on 17-10-2012 by christoph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I would be *very* careful about what is posted on this thread.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
FBI Arrests Would-Be Terrorist In Alleged Plot To Bomb NY Fed
www.forbes.com...

The New York Post and NBC-4 New York are both reporting that the FBI and NYPD arrested a man they’d led into a sting operation for allegedly attempting to blow up the New York Federal Reserve Bank building in lower Manhattan today.

According to reports, the man was arrested after he attempted to detonate a a van filled what he thought to be explosives outside the fortress-like structure on Liberty Street. The suspect had been working on the plan with FBI agents he thought to be co-conspirators for months, according to the Post report.

“This morning, after parking the van, he went to the Millennium Hotel near the World Trade Center, where he called the cell phone in the van,” according to the Post. “It did not explode, and he was arrested by federal agents.”

Another news story from Forbes. But CNN did say on tv the name of the man...it did sound middle eastern, and they also mentioned the bomb was weighing 1000 lbs.
edit on Wed Oct 17 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
my thoughts, i can't say because the FED is as evil as they get, but to the innocent's, i am glad nothing occurred.

i think as time unfolds and more people become aware of the banking mafia we will see more of this transpiring. unfortunately we need more people with this level of balls, to actively take down the fed in a none violent way.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Replace" terrorism" with "public service". I hate it when the MSM twists things to suit themselves.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So is this all media propaganda to keep people in FEAR?

I mean I was only reporting what is happening LIVE on tv and bringing this news to you guys

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The man was arrested as part of a string operation conducted by the FBI and NYPD as part of the Joint Terrorism Task Force

a 'string operation', huh?

that indicates that he's just somebody's puppet!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

What the?????

If they had been doing a sting operation on this guy for a while, how did it get all the way to the point of him driving a van full of what he thought was explosives?

Did they want to see how far this guy would actually go?

Nuts!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by christoph
why would you forget this part? not much of an article, lol

Director Mary Galligan said in a statement. "It is important to emphasize that the public was never at risk in this case, because two of the defendant’s ‘accomplices’ were actually an FBI source and an FBI undercover agent. The FBI continues to place the highest priority on preventing acts of terrorism."

edit on 17-10-2012 by christoph because: (no reason given)

Reminds me of the Canadian event where a bunch of rag tag groupies were "planning" to do the same to parliament. Unfortunately (or should I say fortunately) for them their second in command was a Federal Agent.

Hey, it's great and all if they foil something like this, but if they set it up first it just isn't the same thing...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
So NOW CNN changes it story to this plot "would have" involved a 1000 lb bomb.

edit on 17-10-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: removed a comment

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

What the?????

If they had been doing a sting operation on this guy for a while, how did it get all the way to the point of him driving a van full of what he thought was explosives?

Nuts!

I'm sure it has to do with really "nailing" the guy.

They had to prove that this guy would indeed go all the way before they can make a case that would go all the way.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

What the?????

Nuts!

I imagine they wanted to prove mens rea. WIthout letting the suspect carry on that far there could have been a question whether or not they would really do it.

The disturbing thing however is whether or not they encouraged or manipulated them into doing it. There are plenty of nut jobs out there that "might" do something, but never would without someone motivating, provoking or supporting them...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, was arrested for allegedly attempting to detonate what he thought was a 1,000-pound bomb

so who sold him the 'bomb'

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Interesrting tid-bit:
It just got revealed that the Federal Reserve only has 394,240,000,000$ in gold. Whats important here is that they stated that they hold more gold than Ft. Knox.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I highly doubt blowing up the Fed would accomplish anything along the lines of change. It would send a message to those bastards though, maybe make them a little paranoid.

Too bad it was a rigged plot from the beginning. That would have looked great on a big TV.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well its not like there is anything inside (apart from people) that could be blown up.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So the FBI found a whacko on internet and created a bomb plot. Told him to go through with said bomb plot and then foiled the plot? I'd like to know who came up with the "details" of this plot. The conjuring of the ideas for the plot and the amount of coercion involved in getting this person to attempt to implement them is important.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join