It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran lashes out at EU for blocking its satellite channels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Iran lashes out at EU for blocking its satellite channels

rt.com

Authorities in Tehran slammed the EU over its gagging of 19 Iranian satellite channels which coincided with the latest round of sanctions, one of the toughest yet. The shutdown is a big attack on freedom of speech, analyst Chris Bamberry told RT.

France’s Eutelsat and UK’s Arqiva satellite providers made a decision to stop broadcasting the Iranian state TV channels on Monday.

The news outlets that were blocked included Press TV in English and Al-Alam in Arabic.
The shutdown came shortly after the European Union imposed fresh sanctions against Iran including an embargo on the import of the country’s natural gas.

Mohammed Sarafraz, vice-president of the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), has slammed the decision to stop broadcasting the 19 channels as “political”.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: Mod Note -- Rules for BAN Submissions

edit on 10/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think the USA & EU are going over the top with Iran, if the Iran government are not able to let people see what is going on around the world, and the west are not able to hear and see what Iran is doing, things will soon get bad, because they could use China & Russia to knock out Europe TV and Radar if they start to really get nasty.
Remember that relations with China & Russia are not good with NATO today, if they are pushed they have nothing to lose.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Its pretty simple to see what the FUKUS are doing in Iran. The last thing they want is a war with Iran, they do not want to strike nor be struck. What they want is a revolution.

Impose heavy sanctions, once the people become desperate and scared about how their going to get their next meal or pay cheque from (with their economy and currency near enough broken down to peices) right near the elections, as well as 2009 demonstraitions not too far in the past and all the revolutions taking part over the middle east, it's a breeding ground for revolutionists.

This is how the USA work when under democrats (typicaly), when they take a country down, they do it from the inside out, republicans tend to go in with war.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The thing the EU are not thinking about is that we get gas from Russia, Iran is the last country friend of Russia that the USA & Britain has not changed leaders, our gas could be turned off more easy than it was to turn Iran TV off, and with winter around the corner many in Europe would soon be starved out faster than Iran people would die I fear, we have much more to lose by being starved the next 7 months.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It's so funny its way past obvious, this situation has turned into complete theater. North Korea has nukes, i wonder if they plan on invading them? And North Korea is a much more realistic threat to our allies in the region than Iran.

The Western Powers crushed Iran's economy once back in the day with sanctions when they tried to topple their government via proxy. And since Iran managed to pick themselves back up, it's time to kick them back down.

We can't have a Middle Eastern power setting examples and actually looking out for it's own interest rather than Western interests.

As for their nuclear ambitions.. so what. If terrorists wanted to get their hands on nuclear material, they can. Period. They don't need Iran for that. Wake up. North Korea has nukes. Palestine has nukes. Hell, Israel has nukes and their government is filled with psychopaths. Russia lost track of some of theirs nukes who knows how many are in the wind after the break up of the Soviet Union. China has nukes too, can't forget them.

Nuclear weapons are a deterrent. It stops countries like the US from launching a "preemptive strike". Which is why we are leaving countries with nuclear capabilities alone.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So much for Europes democracy and free speech, not suprising though since they are installing Technocrat's in the failing countries. Iranian people are not stupid, they know that the west is responsible for the situation they are in, they also know that the sanctions are an act of war and will only galvanize the country against the west's Imperialist/Zionist agenda.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Question -
Do you think its ok for Iran to complain about the actions another nations takes? If so then does that not mean the other nations can complain about the actions Iran takes on their nuclear program?

If its ok for Iran to complain about their media representation in foreign markets, then is it not ok for other nations to object to Iran for refusing to allow media outlets other than their own state owned ones, access to Iranian markets?

If Iran argues they have a right to this and that and no outside entity should say otherwise, is it appropriate for Iran to spearhead a UN initiative that prohibits and criminalizes attacks on Islam and Mohammed regardless of what nation it occurs in?
edit on 17-10-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Those bums cant afford the loss your gas is safe.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Pot->kettle. If its acceptable for the UK government to revoke PressTv's license to broadcast after decuding they didnt like its content, then why cant Iran do the same? Typical do as I say not as I do mentality.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I agree with your position, and don't see how Iran can be correct in this case. There are only three choices:

A country can control what comes into their country. In which case, Iran can't complain about the EU.

A country can't control what comes into their country. Then Iran should allow Bibles, full internet, and western music.

Iran can control what comes into their country, but other countries don't have that right. In that case you're dealing with someone who should be.....Ah, never mind, it would be too critical. Let's just say they're not being logical.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys

Pot->kettle. If its acceptable for the UK government to revoke PressTv's license to broadcast after decuding they didnt like its content, then why cant Iran do the same? Typical do as I say not as I do mentality.

Except for the fact there is no western media outlets authorized to operate / broadcast in Iran. So im not sure how you are arriving at the pot kettle argument.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
hey Ahmadinejad? ... CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

the U.S. played these games for years with Iraq before they finally green lighted it.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Iran complaining about "loss of free speech" and it being reported on rt.com??

Oh the irony is strong in this one!!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Big deal.

Iran has the capability to launch it's own sattelites so catching the latest episode of Jersey Shore shouldn't be too much of an issue.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The Big Deal to me is they may be setting in place a plan to go in and harm Iran, without them being able to report to the world the truth. And I don't believe in any kind of economic sanctions that hurt people either.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

The Big Deal to me is they may be setting in place a plan to go in and harm Iran, without them being able to report to the world the truth.
I hope they'll be able to use the internet, phones, reporters, and observers.

And I don't believe in any kind of economic sanctions that hurt people either.
I suppose we could try talking some more, but that hasn't done much in the past. What do you think would be a proper way to apply pressure to Iran?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It is a bit like the gun debate really isn't it.

Pro gun says , "yeah it is ok to own a gun and we have the right etc"

Anti gun says " guns are bad mmmK"

The whole stupid thing is about the intention of IRAN Nuclear program.

I do not believe that imposing sanctions is a mature way to handle the situation.

It is all about trust isn't it.

USA, France have nuclear weapons, yet no one is imposing sanctions on them.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

elect a religious nutter and become a theocracy and that trust issue will change quickly!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
they seem to be getting desperate for stuff they can try to pass off as sanctions.

Next thought.... Who owns youtube?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
It is a bit like the gun debate really isn't it.

Pro gun says , "yeah it is ok to own a gun and we have the right etc"

Anti gun says " guns are bad mmmK"

The whole stupid thing is about the intention of IRAN Nuclear program.

I do not believe that imposing sanctions is a mature way to handle the situation.

It is all about trust isn't it.

USA, France have nuclear weapons, yet no one is imposing sanctions on them.

No, it's not like that at all. It would be like one person claiming they have the right to decide what gun they choose to use, and making their own guns, then turning around on their neighbor and tell their neighbor where to buy their guns.

Iran is saying they do not have to air Western media, but the West MUST air Iranian media or it's censorship.

Also Iran has already PUBLICLY stated they plan on enriching Uranium to 60% to build nuclear powered submarines. So all their BS about stopping at 20% and only wanting electricity has already been proven false, by themselves.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join