It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Alarming' low testosterone levels found in obese teenage boys

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
As you somewhat mentioned in your OP. Could this be one of those Chicken and Egg type scenarios?

Which came first for these obese kids?

Obesity caused their hormonal imbalance.

Or

A hormonal imbalance caused their obesity.

I think they should test this with much larger control groups. Also looking into any other hormonal imbalances they may have.

With all the rubbish they put into and on foods these days (not just your junk foods, but meats, fruits, vegetables, grains etc), all the poisons that are in our drinking water, and all the plastic packaging they use, one has to wonder whether this is playing a big part in messing with our insides.

Like medications for instance. What may work for some does not necessarily work for others. Some people could be badly affected by this poison onslaught to their systems and others could do just fine.

edit on 19-10-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Munku

I watched a documentary a few years back that claimed excess fat storage was in fact a genetic relic from out Ice Age ancestors. It affects women more, but it seems to lay credence to the possibility that heritability indeed plays a role.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Lower testosterone actually improves general health and protects the individual from cancer. The downside to this is that certain body parts don't fully mature and can lead to infertility. In my opinion, that's a good thing since we're overpopulated but I also believe in people having a choice to live their life as they desire. And well, lower testosterone also means less likely to have a temper problem.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
This might be slightly off topic, but I have always wondered about this. What effect would millions of women using the pill possibly have? Think of how much of these hormones are being passed back into our ground water via urine.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Good question, and I honestly don't know, but my best guess is little to none. If it was significant I think we would see a lot of issues we don't see. It really doesn't take much to mess you up, women are instructed to limit their drinking of Soy milk for this reason.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I just tried to do a bit of research via google and found this:

link

More than 2.5 million women take birth control pills in the UK. Their EE2 content is excreted and washed into sewage systems and rivers. Even at very low concentrations, this chemical has harmful effects on fish. Males suffer reduced sperm production, with severe effects on populations. In one recent trial, in a Canadian lake, researchers added EE2 until levels in the water reached five parts per trillion (ppt), a minute concentration. Yet fish populations suffered severe problems with one species, the fathead minnow, collapsing completely. In Britain, research by Jobling found that at 50 sites 80% had noticeable levels of EE2 in their water. The closer a downstream sampling point was to a sewage works, the higher the level of EE2 tended to be. Similar levels are found elsewhere in Europe.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

To clarify I meant little to none on human populations. Fish and other creatures I can certainly see an impact as they are much smaller and live in that environment.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
Lower testosterone actually improves general health and protects the individual from cancer. The downside to this is that certain body parts don't fully mature and can lead to infertility. In my opinion, that's a good thing since we're overpopulated but I also believe in people having a choice to live their life as they desire. And well, lower testosterone also means less likely to have a temper problem.

Absolutely, positively, false.

I assume you're taking about prostate cancer. Prostate cancer sufferers have low testosterone. The old saw that test causes prostate cancer comes from a faulty study that used the results from one person. You can find the details in the book "Testosterone for Life".

Go here: www.greenmedinfo.com... and read. Low testosterone isn't protective against anything, and in fact is harmful.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
This might be slightly off topic, but I have always wondered about this. What effect would millions of women using the pill possibly have? Think of how much of these hormones are being passed back into our ground water via urine.

This: www.huffingtonpost.ca...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It seems testosterone has been dropping ~10% each decade compared to the previous for at least the last 7. I'm thinking the petrochemical age coming to be around that time is no coincidence.

The standards for what is low must be renormed about the same...every decade. Last I heard a few years ago the cut off was 350...now it's down to 320...

Quit drinking out of plastic bottles, cut out all sources of bpa, never microwave in plastic materials...no plastic utensils or cookware, etc..oh, and keep the phone away from your junk, fools!!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4

Originally posted by Em2013

Absolutely, positively, false.

No, it's not. African americans have the highest average test, and highest incidence of cancer. Caucasions are in the middle. Asians have the lowest of both.

I assume you're taking about prostate cancer. Prostate cancer sufferers have low testosterone. The old saw that test causes prostate cancer comes from a faulty study that used the results from one person. You can find the details in the book "Testosterone for Life".

It's not that simple. It has much more to do with the ratio of testosterone to the binding receptor, compared to average.

Here's an article which goes into more detail on the subject, high, low and a variety of other things can cause prostate cancer. What is awesome is that you can reverse the condition, pretty easily actually. Look up those interlukens and which foods down regulate them for insight. I'm pretty sure tea is an easy one which targets IL-6 and NF-kB:

Linky

Green tea polyphenols inhibit oxidized LDL-induced NF-KB activation in human umbilical vein endothelial cells.

So yea, don't eat simple sugar, drink quality loose leaf tea, and eat your veggies, especially cruciferous nom nom...
edit on 20-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I would lean towards Obesity limiting Testosterone.

Think about how the body works. It's all cause and effect. Don't use your muscles? They wither and die. Don't use your brain? You grow dull and stupid.

Don't move around, Why would you need a lot of Testosterone?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

It goes both ways. You can't prove causation with it.

They feed into each other. Limiting fat changes gene expressions, but certain genetic bases cause fat accumulation, and hormonal baseline differences, naturally, compared to average.

What is known is that if you take steroids you will lose body fat and gain muscle...without changing a damned thing to your lifestyle, otherwise.
edit on 20-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm 48% water and 6% fat. Does that mean I've got uber testosterone? Because this mustache just isn't coming in.

I know plenty of people that are overweight, hairy as an ape, and have testosterone levels through the roof (usually to their detriment.)

Invalid, how is this post so many pages long hmm?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
We need a way to increase the low-T rates, if we could decrease the T rates of men in the south we perhaps could completely wipe out redneckism. How long do you think it would take? Like, how long would it take for a hairy beer drunken redneck's T level go low enough to reform him into a normal bieber like man.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It may relate to the use of soy in formulas as an infant.
Compound that with the amount used in processed foods.
Males of any age should not be consuming soy products as
it certainly does affect the production and utilization of testosterone.

Soy is a plant that emulates the female hormone estrogen.
IT is associated with weight gain in males and females and
the man-boob phenomenon.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

That was exactly what I was thinking about, is plenty of evidence that offspring's of animals given GMO foods starts to develop no only diseases but become sterile and in many instances is not even various generations but closer than that.

No wonder GMO companies do not want you to know what is in the food you eat and fight so much for no labeling of their crap.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Yet... the main interest of the DoD is for an adaptive metabolism rather than a super fast/testosterone based (aggressive) one...
edit on 23-11-2012 by SymbolicLogic because: based

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well there is a bright side. Within 50yrs all men will look like Justin Bieber lol

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Look at the sperm counts in France if you want something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join