It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blind Man Tasered: Police Mistake Stick For Sword

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Blind Man Tasered: Police Mistake Stick For Sword

news.sky.com

A "terrified" blind man was hit with a 50,000 volt Taser gun after police mistook his white stick for a samurai sword.

Stroke victim Colin Farmer, 61, collapsed to the ground in shock after he was hit in the back with the gun while walking down the street in Chorley, Lancashire.

Police had received reports of a man walking through the town armed with the deadly martial arts weapon and raced to the scene to hunt down the offender.

Meanwhile Mr Farmer, who has suffered two strokes and walks a
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Not quite sure what to say about this one. I think it's a "words fail me" moment.

I appreciate that the police were reacting to a call from the public, you would expect them to if there is a risk of someone wandering around with a sword.

However, last time i looked, you had to still assess the situation before you taze someone?

How could a police officer who is close enough to use a tazer, not see that this looks nothing like a samurai sword or a machete?

I have been in situations like this myself, i'm talking sword carrying individuals, and it's not a nice situation to be in. However you still thought looked and thought before you acted.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17/10/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well, you can't be to smart if you want to be a cop anyway !
Its expected from the police force to be that dumb.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hmm....is it a white cane or is it a machete? Let me see now...

Cops can't tell? Someone had to report him and they clearly couldn't tell either. Is there something wrong with the water in Chorley? Something has to be causing widespread cognitive impairment there to have such a circus going on.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You are right, CX. This is a "words fail me moment" and a pretty good one at that.

And honestly, how can a person mistake something like this:

For this:
www.edmwi.com...

Maybe this officer should invest in a cane himself?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
typical britisch humor.....forgotten to take an eye test to the cops.....

in the line of tommie cooper ore benny hill
hmmm on the other hand...
the keystone cops???
edit on 17-10-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is all really becoming to be too much.
I guess now since you parents have taken away your child's toy guns now you must keep them away from sticks too.
Soon that mobility scooter will be viewed as a military tank.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Police had received reports of a man walking through the town armed with the deadly martial arts weapon and raced to the scene to hunt down the offender.

Meanwhile Mr Farmer, who has suffered two strokes and walks.....

Yeah I can understand the confusion...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Two things. This had to be a deliberate decision by the police to inflict intentional cruelty on the blind man to terrorize the public.

And also, who would ever phone something like that in to begin with?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Not the first wont be the last:

Umbrella mistaken for gun
Suspected rifle was umbrella

People are #ing stupid as hell and cops are some of the dumbest of the bunch with licenses to kill.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Two things. This had to be a deliberate decision by the police to inflict intentional cruelty on the blind man to terrorize the public.

I have to agree wholeheartedly.

The police person involved didn't even say or shout anything either to make Colin aware either.

The officer should be charged with at least assault with a deadly weapon.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
A blind man?
Who the officer or the man tasered?
This is a crazy situation. I hope that he charges the officer for this crime of assault. What would it be like to be tasered, especially if you are blind?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

maybe somebody ought to show those ossifers a real katana
if that old man had been my gramps,
their ignorance would already be denied.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Chorley has some twitchy residents. Back in '05 (London bombings) I left a car there for two nights and got a call from Chorley police because neighbours had mistaken me for a Muslim terrorist.

White guy, shaved head and a backpack.

Picking it up, there was an unmarked car parked 40 feet away with two men watching me. Man, if I'd had a tan and beard...it would have been a different story...

In this case, it's probably a hoax call from jokers and overly-enthusiastic officers. No doubt they've been shame-faced since and getting ripped by colleagues.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join