It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I "fell" for Red Bull/Space jump PR campaign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Mods, please move, edit or delete as you see fit.

I have to admit, I was gutted when Felix Baumgartner's jump was cancelled due to low winds. I was also gutted by my VERY slow internet for hours before and after the jump due to every Sam, Sally and Sarah going online to watch the non-event. Then I found this....

.Red Bull PR

It makes sense, and I now feel a bit of a fool, but what a great idea to get 8 million people's attention, huh?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It's just a bit sad that high caffeine energy drinks are so popular they can produce such a marketing campaign. Must be selling a lot of that stuff. Still it was quite impressive.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I don't even like Red Bull, but I really thought this was going to be a "one small jump for mankind" kinda thing. Instead, it's looking like it was a "one BIG promo" for RB.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
It was great. Something different for a change. Oh joy football, baseball, hockey, basketball....someone please shoot me now!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Also another thought that was going thru my head at the time. Something else, other than the usual doomingloom or mindnumbing sport. My husband and I are both very adventurous people, so we were very excited about seeing real adrenaline sport, not just footy or rugga.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I don't see why you are surprised.

Red Bull spent alot of money pulling this off , they are ofcorse expecting an even greater pay off.
That's just how business works.

If you want a space program without sponsorship, try and make a non profit space program and see how the funding goes.

This is the future of space exploration, commercial missions, governments don't want to use money on a space program.

Namaste.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus

Well that's because it was. I wasnt that impressed but didn't expect much. It was cool seeing the earth from the balloon, but I wonder if given the right training, most people could jump out of a balloon and trigger a parachute?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
It wasn't a P.R. stunt i didn't see NASA pay for the research results.
And NASA was watching very close to learn what they could for free.
So why wouldn't red bull advertise there own company and product at least they didn't shove the drink can in the camera every five seconds.

www.redbullstratos.com...

Like any transportation system, high-altitude flights need safety procedures; but currently, researchers don't know if it's possible to bail out from ultra-high altitudes. What would happen to a human falling to Earth faster than the speed of sound? Would a spacesuit provide sufficient protection? Would GPS equipment function? Could a drogue parachute provide adequate stabilization? Worldwide, the answers to such questions are vital. Aviators and astronauts look to extend the boundaries of their exploration and - with the opening of facilities like SpacePort America - the day when everyday people can become space tourists is on the horizon. The mission's findings may point the way toward developing escape systems for the space tourists of the future, as well as for the pilots and astronauts who already need suborbital systems today. SCIENTIFIC CONTRIBUTION FOCUS Red Bull Stratos aims to provide information that will further the progression of aerospace safety. The key benefits for the science community are as follows: - To aid development of a new generation of space suits - including enhanced mobility and visual clarity - and other systems to lead toward passenger/crew exit from space. - To aid development of protocols for exposure to high altitude/high acceleration. - To aid exploration of the effects on the human body of supersonic acceleration and deceleration, including development of the latest innovations in parachute systems. POTENTIAL BENCHMARKS - Reaching supersonic speed in freefall:First person to achieve the speed of sound (Mach 1) in freefall without mechanical assistance. Speed estimated to be about 690 miles per hour at point of breaking sound barrier; acceleration could continue to more than Mach 1.1 (previous record: 614 miles per hour, Mach 0.9). - Freefall from highest altitude:Expected jump from approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 102,800 feet). - Longest freefall time:Expected freefall duration of about 5 minutes, 35 seconds (previous record: 4 minutes, 36 seconds). - Highest manned balloon flight:Expected float altitude of approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 113,740 feet). All figures approximate based on anticipated conditions and projected factors.

edit on 17-10-2012 by xXSvenXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Its unlikely that humans will progress if there is not some profit/benefit involved for someone or other. I didnt even know Red Bull was sponsoring it until you brought it up. And it wont change my dislike of Red Bull. The event was inspiring, regardless of who sponsored it.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Well, in hindsight, I suppose it was really all just for money. Heck, why not? It's not like they could have used that money to feed some starving kids, or maybe use it for cancer research. I'm just feeling a bit let down. Red Bull's not that bad (the company, I don't like the drink, but I like their silly flying machine competitions)

As to any human being able to jump from space...maybe not everyone has the b@lls to jump from that height, tho some would probably pull it off.

I have to dash out for a couple hours, so I will let the thread run a bit, and pick it up again when I get back in.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3Dplus
Well, in hindsight, I suppose it was really all just for money. Heck, why not? It's not like they could have used that money to feed some starving kids, or maybe use it for cancer research.

Thats what your Government is supposed to do provide funding for medical research and feed and house the unfortunates,not Red Bull.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
i think the real purpose of the entire thing was to test the suit so they can see that there really is a viable method to return to earth without a ship

as in, emergency escape from an exploding space tourism vessel,

after all this is a precursor to space tourism.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus

Redbull's goal is to push human physical strength and durability to its limits. and they did just that. I'm sorry, but i really dont agree with you. That's like saying NASA should just shut down so the money could go be used somewhere else. This was a pretty good goal, which pushes space technology just a little further.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
How can you even begin to call this free advertising?

This probably cost Red Bull hundreds of millions of dollars.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by repressed

$30 mil.

And they bought out every ad and and tv spot. In the article it states that the price they got all of the publicity for- money could not buy.
It was a huge PR campaign.

Redbull in space. Id say that is a huge campain.

And the dude went up in a balloon. NASA didnt have much to do with that.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by repressed
How can you even begin to call this free advertising?

This probably cost Red Bull hundreds of millions of dollars.

And those 30mill will return around 1billion.... So yes, cheap cheap advertising.

I surprised anyone thought anything different...... It was so blantantly obvious.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Well I think it was money well spent. I still have absolutely no desire to drink a can of Redbull...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
It was indeed money spent, as well as my time wasted. And don't they say time is money?
Hey, PR all you want, use the dosh for whatever purpose they see fit. I reckon if the jump happened, and there was something worth watching, I probably wouldn't have felt so put-out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join