Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Colony seems so fake......

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I've been watching The Colony on youtube. it's that old reality tv show where they simulate a group of about 10 survivors living in a post apocalyptic encampment in L.A.

It's an entertaining show but I'm finding it more and more fake. Like they got "The Nutty Professor" on there who can invent almost anything, so they got solar power, ozone water filtration, movie projector, radio transmitter and receiver, lights, 110 power, and so many other things.

I guess that sort of makes the show more entertaining, I can see that angle, but in reality whats the odds you're gonna have a scientist and a fabricator / handyman and not only all the materials, but the tools to make things, almost like Mythbusters, where they can work together to build whatever you need. Perhaps in a bigger colony I guess it's possible.

Seems kinda far from reality though. still quite an entertaining show. He's the very first part....

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
It is TV, did you really think they would choose 10 random people with random skills for the show? Although the random selection would have been more accurate for a true apocalyptic situation, it would not have made a decent TV show.

Who wants to watch 10 people dieting of exposure and disentary?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
the characters were pretty cheesy, but all in all i liked it. i learned how to make a gasifier. also got to see a scripted example of reasons not to group up with annoying idiots.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think a group would be important. You couldn't just stay on your own. The only way is if it was like a town that was recovering and you still interacted by lived alone. But without any people around you'd probably go nuts.

I think I'd want to be with a similar sized group actually. Maybe 10 to 100 people. Maybe on a farm or else a town. I think strictly on your own you'd be a gonner.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
As i keep saying; Come apocalypse, grab a sailboat.

1. Other people, unless family or close trusted friends, are going to be one of your biggest problems to deal with in any SHTF scenario. Where other people are, there will be competition for resources and questionable security confidence.

2. Sailboat gets you far away from other people, without need for petrol, and can take you anywhere on the planet there's ocean to take you. Proper equipment on sailboat can provide limitless fresh water and electricity while the ocean can provide you with food.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
if the situation did arrive where i had to dig in with the people on that show, i would more than likely bail. in real life and death situation, i would be very picky in who i grouped with.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I'd just call each of them up and tell them I'd meet them at the ole warehouse for a hoe down! This is what the group will end up like...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

As i keep saying; Come apocalypse, grab a sailboat.

1. Other people, unless family or close trusted friends, are going to be one of your biggest problems to deal with in any SHTF scenario. Where other people are, there will be competition for resources and questionable security confidence.

2. Sailboat gets you far away from other people, without need for petrol, and can take you anywhere on the planet there's ocean to take you. Proper equipment on sailboat can provide limitless fresh water and electricity while the ocean can provide you with food.

Great idea, but sailing a ocean going vessel is not a simple task....

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

She knows how to sail, leaver her alone! ha ha

And and when the shtf she's gonna take you into the deep ocean to get you sea sick...

edit on 17-10-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF

It's much much easier than you think.
It's so easy a 15 year old girl can do it: Laura Dekker

Are you saying that you're incapable of things a 15 year old girl can do, on her own, all alone?

It's much easier than trying to survive on land in a land populated by other people, other people that are hungry, so hungry they might try to kill you for half a bag of chips because they're incapable of finding food their own, and killing someone else that's got it is easier than coming up with their own food source.

Other people will be the biggest problem next to the apocalypse itself.
Do you really think people are going to be nice, civilized, and sharing when it comes down to brutal raw survival?

Squatting a safe distance away from everybody else, even if only far enough away to just be in sight of land, with clear sight lines for miles and miles of any kind of approaching danger, is much much safer and easier than having to trust that someone won't try to eat your legs while you're asleep on land.
edit on 17-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsawWHATtheyDID
if the situation did arrive where i had to dig in with the people on that show, i would more than likely bail. in real life and death situation, i would be very picky in who i grouped with.

I have to admit that I have a few useless in-laws that wouldn't make the cut. The only thing they are going to be good for is fertilizer. I've never seen the colony but from your description I agree that it does not seem very realistic.
edit on 10/17/2012 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Having watched the first (and only?) season myself, the premise of this show is interesting, but it is undoubtedly staged and faked. They are given everything they need to survive, and the times where the "outsiders" try to raid their compound are simply annoying because you can see just how fake the show is.

It would be cool for a true reality show based on the premise of this show. But you would have to dump the survivors into some random jungle where real life inhabitants might indeed come for their heads. Oh, and don't give them all the tools they will need to survive. Let them scavenge for themselves. Whoever in the group survives for a year splits the grand prize of $100 million. Now this is something I would freakin watch.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
there is a second season, which i have not seen, the reviews for it were pretty bad.i am still holding out for les stroud to do a season of post apocalyptic survivor man.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Thanks for posting it I just watched the first couple episodes and enjoyed it so far. Some parts yes are unrealistic however some parts are very realistic. I think it is a good show to learn from just ignore the unrealistic crap.

The power struggle is absolutely real and will manifest in any group no matter how well you know someone. You really do not know how people will react in a crisis situation even your closest family or friends until it happens.

The innovation they have shown is good and quite possible. There biggest liability IMO is their location in the middle of LA. a building like that is always a target for looters. And of course the complete lack of firearms is unrealistic. if you think you will survive long without firearms you are kidding yourself. The petty bickering unfortunately is probably the most realistic part of the show even though it is likely scripted.

Your best bet is to have a group already in place with a bug out location already set up (easier said then done). Still you will run into the bickering power struggle etc. You just have to resolve to work it out. However people have their normalcy bias where as if they don't get along they think they can just move on but in a SHTF scenario moving on could mean life or death... Hopefully the normalcy bias will fade quickly as reality sets in.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What I don't understand is that they're in LA. Lets say most of the people left or were killed off. Well if it were me, I'd move on into a very posh mansion with a swimming pool and set up shop! Especially most are high walls and gated so you'd have some protection too. I'd live in style.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

one of the problems with that is all of the other people with the same plan. i would rather take up base in the middle of a swamp or some place less desirable in order to keep contact minimal.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originally posted by RobertF

It's much much easier than you think.
It's so easy a 15 year old girl can do it: Laura Dekker

Are you saying that you're incapable of things a 15 year old girl can do, on her own, all alone?

It's much easier than trying to survive on land in a land populated by other people, other people that are hungry, so hungry they might try to kill you for half a bag of chips because they're incapable of finding food their own, and killing someone else that's got it is easier than coming up with their own food source.

Other people will be the biggest problem next to the apocalypse itself.
Do you really think people are going to be nice, civilized, and sharing when it comes down to brutal raw survival?

Squatting a safe distance away from everybody else, even if only far enough away to just be in sight of land, with clear sight lines for miles and miles of any kind of approaching danger, is much much safer and easier than having to trust that someone won't try to eat your legs while you're asleep on land.
edit on 17-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

Laura was an experienced seaman before you learned how to tie your shoes...She and her family lived on the water in a sail boat. She owned her own boat by AGE 6. The vast majority of the population have not been on a ocean going vessel, let alone piloted one. Most of today's population couldn't get a sail boat out of the slip without sinking it under wind power.

Dont #ing lecture me about seamanship, 12 year navy veteran, lived most of my life near/ on he water.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

ITS A TV SHOW....I BET YOU THINK JERSEY SHORE IS REAL TOO!?!?!?!

new topics

top topics

join