Wow, Meteor Detection Live View quite active/updates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+24 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is a brief OP.

Just thought I would share the Meteor Detection live view site with those who didn't know about it, and leave the thread open ended for interesting updates.

I had opened it over the last half an hour (approx 8:30pm EST, Oct 16 2012), as I was curious about the reports of a large explosion around the NW Louisiana/Texas border over the past day or so, and wanted to see if it was active.

It is, it is the most active I have ever seen it.

Watch for yourself:

Meteor Detection Live View

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Great link, great idea. Looking forward to watching this in the background on my sleepless nights.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
It is, it is the most active I have ever seen it.

How long have you been looking?

As I posted in the What just happened in northwest Louisiana? thread, this time of year has always been an active time of year for meteors.

The rate will continue to increase as we build up to the peak of the Orionids on the 21st.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

PlanetX ladies and gentlemen with an excellent post.

I'll be staring at this all night !

SnF
edit on 16-10-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

i dreamt this last night, i actually forgot about the dream but when i just now saw this thread as soon as i read the title it hit me and i got chills up my spine the hair on my neck stood up....

the dream was as follows

i was out in town at night with friends a very typical evening for me, and i looked up at the stars as i so often do and saw shooting stars, EVERYWHERE

imagine a meteor shower times 10,

i was seeing say 20 - 30 shooting stars in my field of vision constantly everywhere in the sky i would look, i was amazed, and of course i called out to my friends to look!

they said they didnt see it i was confused, but somehow understood that i was just slightly more able to see them and i told them that as the end of the year draws closer it will happen more and more and eventually it will be so intense and their brightness will be so much brighter that everyone will see it too.

i have no idea why i said that stuff in the dream, it seemed like something i knew for certain in the dream but thinking on it now its nonsensical

i have no strong belief in something occurring on dec 21 at all, im a ride the fence kinda guy in things that are unfounded, just a wait and see rather then believe and profess or doubt and declaim against like others do.
edit on 10/16/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Ooh, cool! Great if it plotted where over the Earth in some form, and you could adjust the time frequency - but I've bookmarked it anyway. Maybe it will help solve "Random town in America is shaken at 3am in the morning by unknown boom that local sheriff goes to investigate" threads? S&F

Can you hear meteors? I'm sure I have in the past, ripping through the air kind of sound. And as such I just read this article to see if I'm mental or not.

Can you hear meteors?

A meteor 100 kilometers high would boom about five minutes after it appears. Such an object is called a “sonic” meteor. The noise it makes is related to the sonic boom caused by a faster-than-sound aircraft.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

thanks thats super cool ,iwas just looking at the live feed and saw two small spikes cool
thanks again

s+f

ps i cant wait for the leonids its just after my birthday
edit on 17/10/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Cool find PlanetX. It appears to be surprising active as well.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Cool website thanks for sharing.

Can I ask, when looking at the live feed I sometimes see large white spikes, but also there is a mat of lower blue spikes. Do the lower spikes represent anything or is it just the large white spikes that indicate a strike ?

eta: sorry I should have read the information given on the site before asking a stupid question. The blue is natural background noise which does not represent a meteor. My bad

edit on 17-10-2012 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I've been posting about this on a bunch of topics. I have been watching this website since our "Earthquake" Last night 13 miles away in Hollis Center.

This is what I took a picture of last night at 10:30pm.

www.freeimagehosting.net...

I've seen it have more and have bigger readings. You just gotta watch it.

I think something hit outside Hollis. But at first they said lake arrowhead.

My gf and myself are tempted to go look.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Saw an amazing white fire ball last night in Coastal Ca.11.38PM. it came straight down was white like sun on snow white...so very very bright and really big! it disappeared behind the trees I think it may have landed in the Ocean!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
After reading how this detection mechanism works there's a question popping into my mind:

It's a little bit OT, but it does detect ionized air molecules utilizing a radar beam. These molecules are ionized by the friction of the fast moving meteors with the air. Now wouldn't a fast moving UFO cause the same friction and could thus be detected with this neat apparatus ?

What I'm saying is .. are we sure all these streaks we see are really meteors, or may some of them be a different kind of breed ? Just wondering.

ETA to clarify: With streaks I mean the coloured peaks on the detection website. I checked it a couple of times today and there's basically always something being detected.
edit on 17-10-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

AWESOME!

Personal Disclosure:
3 days before the Orionids meteor storm ... isn't that a bit early?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Thank you very much for the link
I'm sort of hooked on it every now and again - even my 7 year old liked it

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by markymint
Can you hear meteors? I'm sure I have in the past, ripping through the air kind of sound. And as such I just read this article to see if I'm mental or not.

Can you hear meteors?

A meteor 100 kilometers high would boom about five minutes after it appears. Such an object is called a “sonic” meteor. The noise it makes is related to the sonic boom caused by a faster-than-sound aircraft.

That quote is a little bit misleading. There are actually two kinds of sonic phenomena associated with meteors, one of which is "sonic booms", but they would not be heard if the meteor was above around 50 km.

The second type, “electrophonic meteors”, can be heard above 50km.

6. Can a fireball create a sound? Will the sound occur right away, as you watch the fireball, or is their some delay?

There are two reported types of sounds generated by very bright fireballs, both of which are quite rare. These are sonic booms, and electrophonic sounds.

If a very bright fireball, usually greater than magnitude -8, penetrates to the stratosphere, below an altitude of about 50 km (30 miles), and explodes as a bolide, there is a chance that sonic booms may be heard on the ground below. This is more likely if the bolide occurs at an altitude angle of about 45 degrees or so for the observer, and is less likely if the bolide occurs overhead (although still possible) or near the horizon. Because sound travels quite slowly, at only about 20 km per minute, it will generally be 1.5 to 4 minutes after the visual explosion before any sonic boom can be heard. Observers who witness such spectacular events are encouraged to listen for a full 5 minutes after the fireball for potential sonic booms.

Another form of sound frequently reported with bright fireballs is “electrophonic” sound, which occurs coincidentally with the visible fireball. The reported sounds range from hissing static, to sizzling, to popping sounds. Often, the witness of such sounds is located near some metal object when the fireball occurs. Additionally, those with a large amount of hair seem to have a better chance of hearing these sounds. Electrophonic sounds have never been validated scientifically, and their origin is unknown. Currently, the most popular theory is the potential emission of VLF radio waves by the fireball, although this has yet to be verified.

Source: The American Meteor Society Fireball FAQs

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Wow! Just saw two huge hits! Awesome website, thanks for sharing!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Meteor Shower Lights Up Bay Area Skies

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A meteor shower spawned by history’s most famous comet lit up skies above the Bay Area on Wednesday night, and experts at NASA and the National Weather Service said more would appear with increasing frequency through this weekend. Space.com reported that the Orionid meteor shower should reach its zenith overnight from Saturday to Sunday as Earth plows through debris shed by Halley’s Comet on its path around the sun. The most impressive display should come a few hours before dawn Sunday, scientists predicted.

Source

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Nice post.

Here are three YouTube videos of the 17-10-2012 California Bolide/Fireball/Meteor:

1) www.youtube.com...

2) www.youtube.com...

3) www.youtube.com...

The signs are in the Sky ...

( ...of Orinoid meteor shower...!)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

here ya go

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

i dreamt this last night, i actually forgot about the dream but when i just now saw this thread as soon as i read the title it hit me and i got chills up my spine the hair on my neck stood up....

the dream was as follows

i was out in town at night with friends a very typical evening for me, and i looked up at the stars as i so often do and saw shooting stars, EVERYWHERE

imagine a meteor shower times 10,

i was seeing say 20 - 30 shooting stars in my field of vision constantly everywhere in the sky i would look, i was amazed, and of course i called out to my friends to look!

they said they didnt see it i was confused, but somehow understood that i was just slightly more able to see them and i told them that as the end of the year draws closer it will happen more and more and eventually it will be so intense and their brightness will be so much brighter that everyone will see it too.

edit on 10/16/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

This is interesting, because today (10-18-12) my brother and I seen what we first thought to be a strange cloud. It was sunset about 6:40 mountain time. The sky was orange and my brother spotted what looked like to me a light, or very very bright cloud. As it got closer to us, it would fade in and out, coming from a white dot, to a verticle thin line and then disappearing for maybe 10 seconds. When it appeared again it was evidently closer and the verticle line was longer. My brother labelled it off as a plane and although I was skeptical I did too. But, the object that had a trail was orange as well, but darker than the sky, and only a minute had passed since it left the horizon and flew above. The strange thing is, it appeared as a dot at first. I am curious as to the projection angle of the craft because it appeared it was moving very fast, at a downward angle. Maybe the live meteor feed can show the feed for my area around that time. I must look.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution