Earth-sized planet found around Alpha Centauri B

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
Whatevs, these people are stupid. This wasn't worth any more mention than any other extrasolar find, we have all known since before they even even found a single extrasolar planet, that they were there, that there were earth sized planets, that there are earths in the goldilocks zone.

I think we have a different concept of "knowledge".

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
The fact that they found an Earth sized planet is kind of a big deal. I don't recall hearing about them having yet detected a planet as small as ours.

That's pretty small. I guess they were able to detect it because it's relatively close.

As for Earth-sized planets, though, they're no big deal. I can go outside on any clear night and see a couple of them with my own eyes. No life on them, though, as far as anybody can tell.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

People who understand the difference between "there are available women in your city" and "getting a date" understand why getting confirmation of something long-suspected is important.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

Yourself and Drakus make a good point, however they said" world shaking disclosure" ( or whatever the exact wording was). This is not "world shaking" it is common knowledge that there are gonna be millions of these, if not billions. It is not a huge disclosure of any type. It is as a big a deal as every other extrasolar palnet found after the first one, worth honorable mention, nothing more.

It is idiocy to think that ours is the only one with earth sized planets, no, it is down right stupid. There are billins of stars, all but a amall fraction will have planets, and most will have an earth sized or two. It is common knowledge, not anything extraordinary.

Also if you get this excited about getting a date in a city of any size, you need to spend less time on ATS and more out and about, I spend all day and night a lot of the time on the net, and I never want for female attention when I seek it.

Just say" hi, hiw are you doing?( listen to their response, don't pretend to) then make some small talk( that's a nice dress, where did you get it?( listen) I really like the collor. You ever try that new place over on 10th?(listen) how about we go over there tomorrow evening and get a bite to eat?( listen) either. Oh that's to bad your busy already, how about another time then? Or great, I will see you there, or, I will pick you up at around 7?)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
sigh.

So our nearest star probably has a planet that has similar attributes to a turned on oven. The problem with these discoveries are that any planet that is discovered is either too cold, too hot or too damn big. The goldilock planets found thus far would crush us due to their size. There's nothing world shaking about this planet. It's a been there done that scenario. This is not what's gonna make us rush to create viable interstellar travel. This gives us no motivation.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Don't get me wrong, it's a big discovery. And perhaps I shouldn't take away from it. But when they tell us there is a plant even close to the temperatures we have on Earth I'll break out a bottle of champagne and celebrate to myself. And if you throw in an oxygen atmosphere, I'll break open a really, really old bottle.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

People who understand the difference between "there are available women in your city" and "getting a date" understand why getting confirmation of something long-suspected is important.

"sealing the deal"

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

So if I were try try to sum-up your arguement i one sentence, it would be:

You don't understand the significance of the discovery, therefore all scientists are idiots.

Is that what you are saying?

****************************************************************************************************

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
Because scientist are twits that don't believe somthing obvious is true unless there is proof.

How very Aristotilian. Unfortunately, the history of science is littered with things "everyone knew" (without evidence) that turned-out to be not true.

If you honestly do not understand the difference between a commonly-held belief and a fact established by evidence, then I fervently hope that you never, ever sit on a jury.
edit on 17-10-2012 by Saint Exupery because: fixed quote

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

The fact that they found an Earth sized planet is kind of a big deal. I don't recall hearing about them having yet detected a planet as small as ours. And also, I'm not going to complain about them hyping it up because Alpha Centauri has a special place as the nearest star system to ours.

It may be but it's still well out of our reach!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Stari

And the catch?

But the Earth-like planet is so hot its surface may be like molten lava. Life cannot survive the 2,200 degree heat of the planet, so close to its star that it circles it every few days.

booo.

Then it cant be in the goldilocks zone

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Alpha Centauri B is less than 5 light years away (that's verrrrry close).

All you have to do is travel as fast as your flashlight projects light, and do so at a constant rate without stop, for five years.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
geez, everyone getting all huffy because this news isn't 'exciting enough'....
what arrogance!
do you think the scientists who made this discovery chose what it was they would find?
do you truly think the universe owes you novelty?
how long have been being assured that there are one hundred percent no chance of extraterrestrial life?
things have begun changing but this sort of process takes time, and we are still right at the beginning of the curve.
this is a baby step, but one in the right direction.
we should all be greatly pleased, progress is progress.

it does quite tickle me that on the one we have an admission of sorts; "okay, we were wrong, there are earth sized planets"
then immediately afterwards "definitely too hot for life though!"
baby steps. we'll get there eventually. keep those eyes open.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Are we talking Celsius or Farenhiet?

Farenhiet so its okay to walk on. In fact I'd like to take the scientists who made the BIG ANOUNCENENT there and WALK THEM ACROSS THE LAVA.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by decepticonLaura
it does quite tickle me that on the one we have an admission of sorts; "okay, we were wrong, there are earth sized planets"
then immediately afterwards "definitely too hot for life though!"
baby steps. we'll get there eventually. keep those eyes open.

Well, to be fair, I don't think many (if any) planet-hunting astronomers ever said that there are no earth-sized planets.

Granted, when the first exoplanets were found back in the 1990s, they were all huge Jupiter-sized planets. Those early attempts at planet hunting showed the galaxy seemed to be teeming with Jupiter-sized planets, but those early astronomers could not find Earth sized ones...

...HOWEVER, the reason for that was quite simple -- the Huge Jupiter-sized ones are easier to find, so obviously during the infancy of planet hunting, those big ones were the only ones they COULD find (until the equipment/methods for finding exoplanets became more sophisticated. The Earth-sized planets are there, they are just harder to find.

edit on 10/17/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm with Drakus and DecepticonLaura on this, this is a fantastic discovery and you would recognize the significance if you had an iota of understanding of astronomy.

ESO is NOT a SETI program and they do not have all the tools Kepler has, this may very well jump start scientist to look more closely at creating interstellar capabilities, it's just a matter of time until we have a good fusion rocket or even anti-matter and who knows if we can finally get a Alcubierre drive to work (Warp Drive), currently we just have to find a way to warp space and solve the problem with communicating outside the warp field, which can possibly acheived with quantum entanglement based technology who knows.

If physicist work together they may just be able to figure out a viable way to get there, even if it's a lifeless system, this will open the door to humanity's greatest adventure yet!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Stari

And the catch?

But the Earth-like planet is so hot its surface may be like molten lava. Life cannot survive the 2,200 degree heat of the planet, so close to its star that it circles it every few days.

booo.

They should really rephrase this to read, "life, as we know it," not just, "life."

I think it was just last year they found an arsenic based life form, which put our theory that all life was carbon based to shame.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Yes, this is the "big" news since it's also on the Nature Journal, as was mentioned on the ESO site.

HOWEVER, there are (at least) two points why this is relatively exciting:

* Alpha Centauri is extremely close, i am hyped having read that they are now already speculating about missions, interstellar travel etc....as i "predicted". Such a find is a HUGE motivation for science and research that we might do interstellar space travel sooner - as opposed to the notion that the nearest planet would simply be "insanely" far away.

* They said there are LIKELY more planets in this system, not so close to the star.

I don't know about you, but knowing that our closest neighbor star has planets is quite exciting. The universe becomes more and more "alive" throughout the last few years. When i was a kid and looking up to the stars with my small telescope, no one even speculated let alone KNEW whether planets outside our own solar system actually exist. It becomes more and more star-trek and this IS exciting!!
edit on 16-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

for any of that to happen, you would have to live on a planet where people get along and care about each other, a planet where the main goal is to work together and support each other, where all people are equal and none out to make more money than the other, where religious, economical and wealth issues don't come before humanity.

sadly i often lol at these types of threads where you would have a better chance of driving to this planet then you will ever get flying there in our screwed up society. this news means nothing, absolutely nothing to anyone on planet earth currently.

these threads should be in a dreamer forum because that's all they amount to, like the billions of dollars spent on researching most of these pipe dreams.

our world is dieing, our people are being oppressed, murdered, raped and pillaged by the wealthy and our people spend countless hours on jersey shore, fakebook and pipe dream science.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Stari

this planet is not in the Goldilocks zone, as stated in the article. Did you read your own article before posting?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Yes your right, not now or has it ever been "world changing" in any way shape or form.

Hey news flash guys, I just proved that if you put hot water in the freezer it freezes faster than cold water!!!!!!!

ATS response: OMG this is amazing, I cant believe it, this has totally changed my world and view of the entire universe, I just cant believe how important of a find this is!!!!!!!

Now we will be able to find the motivation to make ice faster, as we couldnt do it before because it wasnt proven!!!!!!!!!!!

This is no more important than any other exoplanet found since they saw the first one, it is nothing special in an way.

Also trying to say I dont understand enough about the science is just plain funny to me, look at my previous posts, in any of the science forums, I will bet money I know more about science than you do.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

We already have fusion rockets, they just cant be lauched because it would kill everyone within hundreds of miles from the radiation.

We could assemble them in space and launch them from there, but we no longer have a good reliable heavy lift vehicle, and assembling such a complex project in orbit has never been tried, not including how long it would take to lift all the parts.

There is a reason we dont assemble saturn 5 rockets in space to insert probes in jupiter orbit, it is not feasible. Fusion rockets make a saturn 5 look like a bottle rocket in comparisson.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum