It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Party candidate Jill Stein arrested outside debate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Why are Obama and Romney so scared to take on 3rd party candidates that they now must lock them up in cages less their ideas take root? I may not agree with much of what Stein stands for (but more than either Obama or Romney) but shouldn't she be able to let her views air in the marketplace of ideas?

link

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

What a joke. The government is total scum.

The debate rules specify that to be included, candidates must receive at least 15 percent in a major poll. Most major polls do not even list Stein and Johnson as an option.

And theres your answer. You can participate if you receive 15% of the vote but you wont because your name isnt included in the poll. Sorry.

edit on 16-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The answer is in the article..

The debate rules specify that to be included, candidates must receive at least 15 percent in a major poll. Most major polls do not even list Stein and Johnson as an option. Televised presidential debates date back to 1960, and have been a regular event since the 1976 election. Originally administered by the League of Women Voters, they’ve been jointly organized by the Democratic and Republican parties through the Commission on Presidential Debates—a group the two parties jointly formed—since 1987.

Bold=mine

That's why 3rd party candidates are shut out.. Dems and Reps are in cahoots to exclude any other voice than theirs, and the MSM falls in line..

There is still hope though.. on the 23rd, 4 of the candidates voices excluded from the DEM REP show will have their chance

“3rd Party” Presidential Debate To Be Broadcast Worldwide On Al Jazeera, Link TV, Ora TV and Russia Today

Note that both Obama and Romney have been invited.. no word on if they will participate.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Jill Stein is awesome.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
After looking into Jill Stein and what she stands for, I feel she would be a formidable candidate if given a chance to debate against the two (yawn) major political candidates.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Trespassing is against the law.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Maybe getting arrested was really the best thing her campaign could have hoped for? Everyone will hear of her now. That was probably the whole point.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well the only way to fight this is to not tune in on the debate. And find a way to pressure the media to consider other parties.

Democracy is a game of numbers. If people believe enough in her then they will not listen to the debate dropping the ratings the rest should follow. We know that the news agencies have a bias on certain candidates. Just tune out when they present the choices you don't want. The problem is getting all the couch potatoes to do this.

United we stand divided we fall.

Evil can thrive if good does nothing.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

My choice is to tune into all debates...

I doubt very seriously that TPTB care how many folks tune into the MSM debate.. If they had it there way, there would be ZERO debates and just use the time campaigning and producing more and more BS ads..

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Maybe getting arrested was really the best thing her campaign could have hoped for? Everyone will hear of her now. That was probably the whole point.

I don't know, it didn't help Alan Keyes when he was arrested outside of a debate when he was running for President, at least as far as I'm aware of.

edit on 16-10-2012 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I have looked into Jill stein as well and man if she could be president that would be awesome.

But that's not gonna happen.

Loved when she said this is a mockery of democracy!

Write in Ron Paul 2012!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
In response to JacKatMtn

I understand your view but, people would tune out not because debates are useless but because we are not able to see and listen to who we want to debate debate. If ratings drop then advertisers would reconsider funding the debate. Hit them in the wallet they will listen. That's the way democracy works. If you give them what they want a majority of views then they will think that we are being represented properly. When we are faced with choices that are not representing our views then we should cancel our votes or ask for more choices. Not choose the lesser evil.

We have to say: "Hey your giving us the choice to see what is behind door number 1 and 2 what about 3 , 4, 5, 6!! "

edit on 16-10-2012 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I choose not to watch the debates, first of all because I think that it is a travesty that only dems and pubs get to participate. That is not fair. Yes, I've heard that it is a "private" affair, but if that is true, they need to announce this fact and make it well known. Secondly, I hate both Obama and Romney so much that I'm afraid I'll either break the TV, or have a stroke.

Jill Stein and her running mate are making a statement, and I support their right to peacefully protest this idiotic, unfair, slanted, dog-and-pony show. Good for her!!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I guess curiosity gets the best of people and they watch anyway. More people need to be more disciplined with their choices because, their attention determines who gets air time and money. Ultimately corporations use OUR money to fund these guys. so, we should choose where our money goes more wisely.

However, divide and conquer is still in full swing and people are divided and think they are conquering.

I hope you will continue to stand strong.

edit on 16-10-2012 by bitsforbytes because: sometimes I am wrong

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Green Party candidates arrested at debate
The Associated Press
Posted: Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2012

www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/16/3601840/green-party-candidates-arrested.html

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. Police say the Green Party candidates for president and vice president have been arrested at the second presidential debate.

Nassau County, N.Y. police say Jill Stein, the Green presidential nominee, and Cheri Honkala, the vice-presidential nominee, were charged with disorderly conduct as they tried to enter the debate site at Hofstra University.

The Green Party says in a statement that Stein and Honkala were walking with supporters toward the Hofstra campus Tuesday afternoon when they were met by uniformed police officers. Stein and Honkala then held an impromptu press conference in which Stein called the debate a "mockery of democracy."

A third person was later charged with disorderly conduct.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
there were NO questions regarding the environment, or climate change... in this or the prior debate.

they spoke of the Keystone Pipeline as if it was a good thing.

so long as we run this country as subservient to Corporate interests, we are truly f@cked.

there is more to life than $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. i am sick of the economy dominating the dialogue.

Jill Stein being arrested is symbolic of our absolute disregard of the true needs of our long-term future.

PS - the moderator on CNN just said in an interview that she couldn't get to Climate Change because of the economy. blech.

ETA: 8 years ago it was"terror, terror, terror". now it is "economy, economy, economy." it is all sleight of hand.

edit on 16-10-2012 by mythos because: eta

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

I doubt very seriously that TPTB care how many folks tune into the MSM debate.
I have to disagree on this point.Public perception is of the utmost importance. Without a positive response (interest in political discourse) no matter how manufactured, the establishment loses all legitimacy. They care so very much about perception that billions upon billions of dollars are spent every year to shape public opinion.On the other hand, it's quite obvious that the level of caring has recently dropped, as mass levels of corruption are wide out in the open and the string pullers don't seem to be making as much of an effort to hide their own efforts. They actually seem to have become very brazen in how they operate.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

“3rd Party” Presidential Debate To Be Broadcast Worldwide On Al Jazeera, Link TV, Ora TV and Russia Today

technobrat (from the link)

Jill Stein and Gary Johnson should stage a real October Surprise- agree t put economic disagreement aside temporarily and join forces on one “Green Liberty” ticket w/ Anti-Corruption and Honest Discussion of Real Issues as their platform. They would poll high enough for debates and offer an option that might inspire.

That's interesting. They could flip a coin for president and vice pres.
Both Obama and Romney are talking taxcuts and avoiding the national debt and deficit (like that's even an option at this point).

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

What a joke. The government is total scum.

The debate rules specify that to be included, candidates must receive at least 15 percent in a major poll. Most major polls do not even list Stein and Johnson as an option.

And theres your answer. You can participate if you receive 15% of the vote but you wont because your name isnt included in the poll. Sorry.

edit on 16-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

exactly! Love how they frame it... If folks knew all their choices they had available they might be able to choose.

I also think that Peer Pressure from the traditional parties is horrendous. I voted for Nader (who was with the Green Party) two times and the last time, when Gore "lost" the election I was lambasted as ruining the election with my vote for Nader! BS!!!

I have in the past also supported Kucinich in the primaries and got attacked by my Liberal friends for THAT position as well! *you are wasting your vote and we need a REAL candidate"..

those belief systems are insidious and no matter how I tried to explain my position they wouldn't have it they are so locked into this 2 party mentality...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
You can either vote for corrupt person A, or corrupt person B. That's it.

It doesn't matter which one you vote for because either one will take instructions from the same corrupt 'government within the government', and either one will lie through their back teeth to you while robbing you blind. The ones who won't do things their way are not included on the poll list.

Same schit - different shovel.
edit on 17-10-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join