It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching films from a laptop on the TV?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
My girlfriend has just bought a new Sony laptop, she has also signed up to one of these movie sites where they send you as many films as you want per month for a few quid.

How would she go about watching these on her TV instead of the laptop? Is it a simple case of a video out lead with those red, yellow and white leads going from the laptop to your TV?

Thanks in advance,

CX.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

If her TV has a PC input(also look for a dvi input) then all you would need to do is get a VGA cable(blue monitor cable) and plug and play. You may need to right click on your desktop and set display to output to TV if it doesn't work when you plug it in.

ETA:You will need to buy a adapter to use the a/v cables(red,white and yellow):As someone else pointed out don't
E-ETA: I wish i had a new laptop
In fact its been so long i forgot about HDMI cables, like AnonymousCitizen said if thats a new laptop it will have a HDMI output. So i guess the question is what Inputs can your TV take?

Model of laptop and TV will also help further if my post doesn't answer your question.
edit on 16-10-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
whats the make model of the laptop, might sound silly but sometimes the most basic stuff helps

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Your best bet is to probably to use a HDMI cable. That will take care of both the video and audio. The laptop will most certainly have this connection and if the TV is at least somewhat newish, it should too.

Don't get ripped off buying cables. Check monoprice for good deals.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

If there's a VGA port on your TV, just hook it up to the VGA port on the computer using a VGA cable.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
ok...most new TVs have a DVI connection.....google "DVI" lead...actually i think its VGA!

There are also USB to HDMI cables

but personally to watch on tv...i use my playstation

peace
edit on 16-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Does the laptop have an HDMI port? If so, and you have an HDMI tv, just get an HDMI cable and set the tv to the proper channel (on my tv it's setup as HDMI1, HDMI2, etc) and set the laptop to display to the tv. The VGA cable (the cable with the blue ends) also works, lol.
I use to use my playstation until sony ruined it. So I just went out and got a video card with some HDMI ports. Alot less hassle.
edit on 16-10-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I do this right now quite a bit. I have a laptop and TV with HDMI ports so it's as simple as connecting the two. However it depends on what kind of TV you have. If it's a recent LCD or Plasma you will have HDMI or VGA. If your laptop does not have HDMI (for some reason) then you would have to use VGA. VGA is just video though...so the sound would still come thru your laptop unless you can run an audio cable to an external device.

CX

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
What a bunch of stars you all are.

Just checked, she had HDMI ports on both TV and laptop, just got her a lead.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

CX.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Something else fun you could do..
with an Android phone,
you can install "Unified remote" on the Laptop, and the phone.
This will allow you to control the laptop, with your phone over your home network.
Your phone surface becomes a trackpad...And/or a keyboard.

there are other options too, using Bluetooth.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

If the tv is fairly new go get an HDMI cable
edit on 16-10-2012 by Komonazmuk because: I should of read the thread before replying

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If you aren't highly computer literate, just take your laptop to Radio Shack, tell them what you want to do and they'll hook you up.

Probably an RCA cable and possibly a tuner and you'll be running with no problem at all.

Here's your best bet
www.averusa.com...

edit on 16-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komonazmuk
reply to post by CX

If the tv is fairly new go get an HDMI cable
edit on 16-10-2012 by Komonazmuk because: I should of read the thread before replying

Yeah it is, double checked last night.

CX.

new topics

top topics

join