It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Is Attacked by His Father’s Longtime Aide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

A longtime aide to George W. Romney issued a harshly worded critique of Mitt Romney, accusing him of shifting political positions in “erratic and startling ways” and failing to live up to the distinguished record of his father, the former governor of Michigan.

Walter De Vries, who worked for the senior Mr. Romney throughout the 1960s, wrote that Mitt Romney’s bid for the White House was “a far cry from the kind of campaign and conduct, as a public servant, I saw during the seven years I worked in George Romney’s campaigns and served him as governor.”

LINK

So the New York Times is reporting that this guy Walter De Vries has written a 700 word essay, an outline to a book that "may or may not be published", on why he's not voting for Mitt Romney. This guy was a longtime aide to Mitts dad and I'm assuming a close family friend. He does not come across as shunned or scorned, in fact, he speaks with the highest regard for the elder Romney.

I found this article to be a very good read and an eye opener. For someone with his kind of background, that close to the family to publicly disassociate himself from Mitt Romney with valid talking points is astounding. The full 700 word essay is included at the end of the article. Let's just say, I don't think this guy is getting invited to dinner at the Romney household anytime soon, at least not at Mitts.

I'm a sucker for the comments section. Anthony N. in New York had some substance to add:

Anthony N. NY Verified

In 1964 George Romney walked out of the GOP convention which nominated Barry Goldwater, because of the latter's extremist views and the GOP platform's rejection of the 1964 Civil Rights Bill. Mitt Romney, then 16 yrs old, was with his father at the convention at the time. The senior Romney ran for re-election as Governor of Mich. that year, and never even endorsed Goldwater. Goldwater lost in a landslide and George Romney won in a landslide. Times have changed - and so have politicians. Sadly, the apple does indeed fall far from the tree.

Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:54 a.m.RECOMMENDED8

Once again, here is the LINK

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Walter De Vries has written a 700 word essay, an outline to a book that "may or may not be published"

RIGHT!...follow the money, let's see...what would sell more books? a book praising Romney by his dad's buddy or???
edit on 16-10-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Everything he said was true. Mitt Romneys campaign is an absolute mess.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

The election is in three weeks! This is just seven hundred words. If it does get turned into a book the book wouldn't be out until well after the election. Said book would only be relevant if Romney loses.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
When applying for a job your potential employer will always ask for references. The President of the United States is the highest position in the Country and reflects on Americans around the world. As a tax paying American citizen the presidential candidates are applying to work for me. I view this man as a reliable reference. He has known Mitt Romney since he was 16 and probably helped raise him.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allegorical
reply to post by Thunderheart

The election is in three weeks! This is just seven hundred words. If it does get turned into a book the book wouldn't be out until well after the election. Said book would only be relevant if Romney loses.

You just answered the question. His book is only relevant if Romney loses. Coming out like this right before the election is highly suspect. He is simply protecting his investment and trying to help Romney lose, otherwise his golden goose lays no eggs.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I doubt this late in the game it will make much difference. People who are voting have already decided. An essay by a man no longer paid any consideration by the political world will have little effect.
edit on 18-10-2012 by observer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

You just answered the question. His book is only relevant if Romney loses. Coming out like this right before the election is highly suspect. He is simply protecting his investment and trying to help Romney lose, otherwise his golden goose lays no eggs.
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

What is his "investment"? Do tell.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Romney is gonna lose because he has the convictions of a palm tree.

Mr. Romney, you can't be everything to everyone.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Allegorical

Not a fan of romneys, will not vote for him, and am certainly not defending him. BUT this guys critique is basically just comparing Romney to his father. I mean, you could take it as a major diss to Romney, but personally I don't see this guy as being too damaging. And like I said, I don't even like Romney.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by campanionator
Romney is gonna lose because he has the convictions of a palm tree.

Mr. Romney, you can't be everything to everyone.

Yes unlike Obama who holds firm to his beliefs and promises.

That's why he made generic drug importation legal as he promised. Wait, he didn't? He made back room deals with Big Pharm and promised he would never keep his word? Shocking.

He also shut down Guantanamo Bay on day 1, like he promised. Hmmm, Guantamo is still active, you're kidding me?

Ok, but healthcare premiums went down like he said they would. No way, they didn't go down? What, they have increased at an alarmingly fast rate? I don't get it.

What about immigration reform.

What about raising taxes.

Restrict the influence of lobbyists.

ALL broken promises. Obama doesn't know the truth when he looks it in the eye.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

When applying for a job your potential employer will always ask for references. The President of the United States is the highest position in the Country and reflects on Americans around the world. As a tax paying American citizen the presidential candidates are applying to work for me. I view this man as a reliable reference. He has known Mitt Romney since he was 16 and probably helped raise him.

Can the same be said of the obama references...rev wright, ayers, etc????

I didn't think so.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann

I didn't think so.

Those don't matter, only references that hurt the guy I don't like, or help the one I do matter. Typical response.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann

I didn't think so.

Those don't matter, only references that hurt the guy I don't like, or help the one I do matter. Typical response.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I don't even think Mitt's dad would support him with the flip flops and extreme positions he has taken to appeal to the Right Wingers.

Let's face it, Romney is kind of a prick, we can all see this in the debates.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HostileApostle
I don't even think Mitt's dad would support him with the flip flops and extreme positions he has taken to appeal to the Right Wingers.

Let's face it, Romney is kind of a prick, we can all see this in the debates.

That's funny. Especially since everyone who says anything about him says he is a nice guy. Look into what the wait staff of restaurants etc... they visit while vacationing BEFORE he ran for president say. Everyone says he was nice. Sorry, just because you love the lying Obama doesn't make your wishes come true. Just look how that wish in 2008 turned out.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Lets stay on topic, forget Ayers, Wright, Bin Laden and Michelle. Do you or do you not take this mans word as a valid reference of Mitt Romney? If not please tell me why.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Lets stay on topic, forget Ayers, Wright, Bin Laden and Michelle. Do you or do you not take this mans word as a valid reference of Mitt Romney? If not please tell me why.

No, it has already been pointed out that he has a possible significant financial investment in Romney losing. Why would I trust someone who is trying to make money?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

No, it has already been pointed out that he has a possible significant financial investment in Romney losing. Why would I trust someone who is trying to make money?

Bravo! And has anyone considered that this man may have been approached and was bought and paid for? I am a good judge of character and I wouldn't put this past Obama. Just wait until he is no longer president. I think we will be finding out all about his back room deals.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Bravo! And has anyone considered that this man may have been approached and was bought and paid for? I am a good judge of character and I wouldn't put this past Obama. Just wait until he is no longer president. I think we will be finding out all about his back room deals.
reply to post by elouina

A close family friend takes a stand and speaks out, tells us the truth and you say he's "bought and payed for"? Why can't he just be giving his opinion? Anyone who disagrees with Romney must have an ulterior motive because Romney is perfect and can do no wrong?? If Republicans love Romney so much why didn't they nominate him in 2008? Why did they pick John McCain? Answer me that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join