It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oct. 16, 2012 Presidential debate thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Already voted early and for Obama and several down-ticket dems. I'm from Ohio, and got front row seats to the freak show that is politics this cycle. I can reason out my vote for Obama simply by saying Romney would be lowering the bar even further. I couldn't support somebody who changes positions so dramatically. Obama is guilty of the very same thing, but on a much smaller scale over a much longer period of time. At least with Obama, I know the evil that I'm getting.

Another reason is supreme court justices. Look who votes on what and when. Just look at who appointed who during the decision on the Citizens United case. Really? And Romney wants more justices like them... To believe that corporations should get free-exercise principles is... insane. To me, at least, because I respect the decision made and the views of those who do support it. It is simply a case of disagreement that I would like such a decision overturned.

To me, the third party candidates lack any serious backbone of legitimacy. Okay, so I like Gary Johnson's views more than Obama by a slight amount, but how does he co-operate with a congress divided among republicans and democrats? He will have ZERO people in congress from his party. He would be scorned by republicans in the house for "taking away" their chance to win. The game is rigged against them and would require some major upheavals to position one of them for victory.

More importantly, there aren't enough people that have woken up yet to disrupt the two-party game. American's are still sound asleep, just as they always have been. We need a national movement towards independent candidates, dictated by senate and house seat gains and followed up with by an independent presidency. When third parties can't even win fickle house-elections, what does that say about their power in American politics? They have none.

Maybe another election, at another time, but not this one.

On the matter of the debate, who cares? Its a freak-show. In my opinion, those who can't understand candidate positions from their own research shouldn't be concerning themselves about voting. The most new information we could possibly gleam from the debates is a verbal-slip up or lack of pre-recorded answer. These things are conducted by a committee run by the parties themselves. If there was a serious debate of ideas here, it wouldn't be allowed to happen. The only way you can truly lose is by not showing up (which Obama fatally did in the first debate).

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alternateuniverse

It's all smoke and mirrors. The Republicans pander to their supporters by making statements like this "Our man is turning the tables"...then the Democrat supporters will come out and tell you that the early vote results are going to Obama. It's all poo-poo...caca...meaningless. It is an obvious attempt to sway the voters who have not cast their ballots yet. I find it somewhat comical as most of the people I know are already convinced and nothing is going to change that position. They can say so and so is leading here or there...or they look like a shoe in...they can hold 15 debates...it won't matter.

I have also said before if someone is still "undecided"...someone needs to hold a mirror under their nose and check their pulse...they may be dead...or they may be clinically brain dead and prob shouldn't be counted among the people who have actually followed this dog and pony show. If you don't "get it" by now...you aren't going to. Just go in the booth, close your eyes and pick randomly...that makes about as much sense as not having made up your mind by now.

ETA:

In all honesty...I think this is another MSM lie from both sides...I seriously doubt...in this particular race...that there are that many undecided. I think it's just a ploy to make it look interesting...nothing more.
edit on 10/16/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: ETA

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I expect them to avoid discussing NDAA, GMO foods, Lower class & The Poor, Internet freedom, & Personal freedom (legalizing the plant).

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11
I expect them to avoid discussing NDAA, GMO foods, Lower class & The Poor, Internet freedom, & Personal freedom (legalizing the plant).

I agree. They will not address the issues close to the hearts of Liberty and Freedom loving citizens. There will be no addressing the extension of The Patriot Act, nothing about NDAA, nothing about HR347 or freedom and privacy of the internet. Why? because the BOTH agree with these freedom stripping violations to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Legalizing weed? Nope...I think Obama might not have an issue with it, but the extreme right will have nothing to do with it and perhaps some Independents that do not understand freedom might not like it either. That is just putting a bullseye on his back...he won't go there unless he is re-elected. Let's face it...he admitted to smoking when he was young.

GMO?...Won't go there either. From "their" perspective, it's a good thing...increased crop yields and resistance to disease and drought...the downside is swept to the side.

The Lower class and the poor....Nope. They are ashamed that their handlers have allowed so many people to slip into those ranks that both of them will hide from the issue.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Debates, as is all "Elections" are nothing more than Rhetoric political propaganda, a false sense of 'Choice' and a 'Winning Team' because that is what Amerika is about the 'Winning Team'

another way to control the mass populace by telling them who 'Won' the debate therefor who shall "Win" the election,

the President is nothing more than a faced, a puppet, a Face, controlled by those behind the curtain, it wouldn't matter if it was Bush,Obama,Gore,Romney Etc, the rules stay the same, the face changes,

a false sense of 'Choice' we the """Free"""" get to decide who shall lead us, who shall decide our fate, what we are allowed to do, they give talking points "Gun Control" "Abortion" "War" Etc, they divide the populace into sides, into 'Parties"

behind the curtain, there are no Political Parties, just those that own/control the Country/World

people say "Romney is bad, we have to vote Obama" others say "Obama is bad, no choice but Romney"

that "Anyone But" mentality is oppressing whilst giving the false sense of 'Freedom of Choice"

Divided we stand, United we fall

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
It will be more of the same...

Another poor showing by Obama and another great beating by Romney.

The race could be over tonight.....Just saying!
edit on 16-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
You know who knows how each will responnd or carry themselves tonight. I do know MSM has been egging on Obama to get agressive - we'll see.

If so all Romney has to do is hold steady and cool after last debate performance.

Question is, can Obama pull off aggressive but cool-headed performance? if not race is over for him.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Originally posted by seabag

Romney is going wipe the floor with POTUS.

Just like the first debate everyone will see how much a better candidate Romney is...

Benghazi will be the final knockout to POTUS and will be a big hit and clinton cant fix this one
no matter how much more she lies
edit on 16-10-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914
reply to post by solidguy

All questions are pre-determined and signed off on by both parties. No surprises expected, its not like this is a real and unrehearsed format.

Not true.

For this debate, the audience will all submit questions and the moderator will read them all and select which people get to ask their questions.

The moderator has also said that she will ask followups and call the candidates out if they try to dodge the question and not answer it.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm getting ready for the debate now, just made the salsa and broke out the chips. I'm not going to participate in the thread or read it til the debate is over though. The VP debate thread turned really ugly, so I'll wait and see how it's progressing after the debate is over.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think what we will see tonight is Obama being much more engaged. I don't think he is going to be "aggessive" because they will be mostly be talking to voters. I think he will make sure to both answer the questions, outlining what he has done and what he plans on doing, and then he will make sure to point out how Romney's plan is either not specific or that it is wrong.

From Romney, he can't play the same game as last time. He can't interrupt and yell at the President. The questions will be coming from people and he will have to talk to that person to answer the question. If he lies today, he is lying to voters, not just trying to to make Obama look bad. I think Romney will be more short on answers and even more vague and non-specific than he has. I expect a lot of "personal stories" from Romney tonight as answers instead of actually answering.

I think we will hear about Libya, the 47%, the improving unemployment numbers (and improving housing market, wages and consumer confidence), women's reproductive rights, healthcare, and Iran.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
settling in.. got my popcorn, cold beverage, and look forward to seeing this townhall style debate...

PRe debate.. based on the 1st debate, Romney has nowhere to go but down, he set the bar high so it will be interesting to see if he can maintain that level in this format.. needs to connect with the townhall questioners..

Obama has nowhere to go but up, so he's got an advantage going in since it shouldn't be difficult to surpass his lethargic effort in the first debate. He as well needs to connect to the questioners..

That might actually be the key battle ground on how each does..

YMMV

Looking forward to a lively civil discussion this evening

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Good...made it in time...hope there's still a floor pillow and room left for me.....

Popcorn anyone.....

Des

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Forgot to talk about the moderator.. Ms Crowley..

I certainly hope that she sticks to her guns and holds both candidate's feet to the fire should they avoid answering the folks questions..

A shame in this day and age that both parties don't feel that a woman can handle a presidential debate other than being a token microphone stand..

Let her ask some tough questions I say!!!..

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
watching. expecting a time honoured cliche-fest, delivered with dazzling insincerity.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
watching. expecting a time honoured cliche-fest, delivered with dazzling insincerity.

Same here...plus, I've put all heavy objects I can throw at my TV, out of reach....

Des

edit on 16-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Crowleys goal:

Double team Romney like the last debate

Come on people!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Romney for the coin toss....

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
First question, Romney answers with a story about someone.

Expect a lot of that today

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join