It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying ‘Mix It Up Day’ Targeted By American Family Association For Pro-Gay Agenda

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Awww... I was having such a good time disagreeing with ya. Then ya had to go and make perfect sense even I can't disagree with. lol,...

Specifically, self defense. That's a very valid point and as the kids grow up and the give/take of learning moves beyond 'sticks and stones', I'll agree that it's also important kids have the underlying right to defense when it's called for. The school admin of today would seem to literally prefer a child stand there, do nothing and be beaten badly vs. raising a hand and defending himself as required.

It's funny how you put it and how I can't disagree with a straight face. I recall the 1984 Challenger disaster when it exploded on lift off, not because of the national tragedy of the shuttle...but because at the very moment word was being yelled down the hallways about the catastrophe over Florida, I was helping the source of my torment for a couple years learn all about hitting the VERY VERY high notes of soprano, if he ever chose to pursue that. Too much bass to his voice wasn't a problem for weeks, I'm sure. Today?? I'd have been arrested for that...despite it just being the culmination of 5 and 6th grades bullying and finally having enough of the crap as the "new guy" at the school, even after that time.

So... Hell.. I suppose it's fair to say in the end...both the strong encouragement to NO bullying and to flat out shun and ridicule the bully as a whole when they're seen is a good thing in the Elementary school kids. Meanwhile, your suggested approach of...not encouraging perhaps,,,but damn sure not PUNISHING self defense in the upper grades is the other half that makes sense.

In the end, after all...I'll admit what I debate on the side of........having the bully be the object of ridicule and rejection.....is a HOPE for what things like the Mix-It-Up day will accomplish. It's not ACTUALLY happening that I've seen anywhere yet. In the mean time. your approach is the only other viable one for a kid being victimized.

edit on 18-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My view comes from a person that was bullied quit a bit. I was forced to move with my Father when I attended HS. Not only was I the new kid, but it was also on an Indian reservation where there were very few white kids.

A lot of people gave me trouble but one day it all changed. One kid that always gave me grief decided to put his hands on me.....I can take verbal bashing all day long, but no one touches me. So I pounded him like the punk he was, and then his buddy that tried to jump in.

Needless to say, after beating the two toughest kids in school, I never had much trouble with anyone again.

We also had a no tolerance policy and I was suspended, but my Father said I did the right thing because everyone will think twice before they pick a fight with me.

and he was right.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

What if you're a girl, and throw girly punches???
Girls get bullied, too!!

You know what "mean girls" are?? They're hideous. Mean.
It's about phone calls and write-ups and HR files......they collect the most condemning stuff and leave out the noble and good stuff.....
BECAUSE......they have to uphold the Corporate Mandates. whether or not they "agree
with Corporate "Policy."

They say, "you don't have to want to, you just have to do it." I told my kids that when they were preschoolers!!

As a working adult? "REALLY? No, I don't have to do it. I hope you sleep well when you put your head on your pillow at night."

Those same managers and HR people see to it that people who stand up for the front-line, minimum wage, workers and their families are systematically let go.

And girls are told to be calm.....no fists.....

(I've outgrown that, btw)......

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join