It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying ‘Mix It Up Day’ Targeted By American Family Association For Pro-Gay Agenda

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was going to post a "dramatic re-enactment" of my imagined mix it up day, but it got longer and longer so I decided to put it in the short stories section because it was more than 5000 words.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It started out kind of sarcastic, but got more serious, and I couldn't stop. (I usually don't write short stories). I felt like this debate on diversity and what not got me thinking "outside the box". (that is the point, right?)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The AFA worries that their child may sit next to a "gay" and maybe get to understand that person. AFA doesn't like that. They want their children full of hate for gays, not full of understanding of them.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
The AFA worries that their child may sit next to a "gay" and maybe get to understand that person. AFA doesn't like that. They want their children full of hate for gays, not full of understanding of them.

I agree 100%. It sounds as if the AFA is afraid being homosexual is somehow contagious. How small minded, bigoted, uneducated and backwards is this kind of thinking?

I'd also like to add, anti-bullying starts at home.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

They object because its hard to demonize and dehumanize a group of people once you've met them.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, I'd disagree with the notion of there not being a Homosexual agenda. Those without agendas don't have parades and days in the honor of that which "nothing is about".

I agree with almost everything else you've said in this thread Wabbit. To clarify, I will say there are gay rights groups that are OTT/agenda setting. No contest.

That said, I believe things like the mardi gras etc do serve a purpose, and aren't always about everything people think they're about. It might be going off-topic but dunno ... I could start a thread about things like that, or U2U if you're ever curious about my thoughts.

Historically and currently it still serves an important purpose, though under 5 years ago I would have perhaps agreed with your logic.

Originally posted by 3chainz
reply to post by elrem48

I'm sure when the women's rights movement was at full steam that there were bigots calling it the "female agenda" as well.

That stopped happening???

Originally posted by SinMaker
Personally, I don't see anything wrong here. Let's prepare our kids for the real world. When we grow up we associate with many different people from all walks of life.

This is very true! Teaching persons not to bully even when they disagree with each other is important.

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
The problem is, a lot of these anti-bullying campaigns are started by homosexuals and comes across as being only for protecting homosexuals and does not truly address the problem of bullying in schools.

LBGT groups have an interest in this topic by default, so they tend to get involved, endorse or support actions in this area.

I think it's too easy to accuse a group of being uninterested in everyone else ...

Feminists are women interest. LGBT groups are LGBT interests. Unions are ... etc ... I don't think it's a fair argument to state that all interest groups should become 'equal rights' groups. Imagine a single group, the ministry of equal rights for all, handling all equal rights concerns ... it would disintegrate in weeks or become like the UN Security Council. These groups do serve a purpose.

There really is nothing stopping persons like yourself creating a 'don't bully but it's okay to disagree' movement. Why not work to establish that rather than complaining that it's forced acceptance or an attempt at normalizing homosexuality?

Fat, emo, goth, gay, shy, autistic, christian etc ... we should encourage understanding.

Odd thing, I actually got bullied at school for reading the bible. At the same school two other children were bullied for being gay. Ironic no? Same school, some of the same bullies on both sides. A wise-ish person once said, 'some people just want to see the world burn, Master Wayne'.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

You make an interesting point on your reply and I admit, I'm wrong here. Your reply made me see that. I'm wrong in being so broad and general in how I put my view of the 'Homosexual Agenda'. That wasn't good of me and clarification to mitigate how I might have ended up offending some is in order. Hmmm.. How best to put it then..

Well, heck, why mince words? I'll use the terms I've listened to them use themselves to describe the type I'm thinking of. I strongly dislike the 'flaming' gays. The 'In your face' type of activists who won't simply have a spot in an organized parade for visibility and to stand their place as citizens like everyone else. I'm thinking of the Cathedral in San Fransisco a couple years back where the gay activist group kicked the front doors open DURING SERVICES and paraded on up the main isle to put on their show and desecrate the Alter area. Or..the other people who will badly disrupt a public event JUST to draw attention to their own cause or purpose. In this case, it's the extreme segment of that cause which we're talking about of course.

To be fair (and what I lose by being so general) the vast majority of all gay folk in the nation are likely the same as those I've known and considered friends at various times. Sexuality is as much a private part of their lives as it's a private part of mine and that topic just isn't raised in even casual jokes.

No biggy...It's the same P.C. conversation rules as with a woman I'm not related or married to. lol... As long as they aren't the "flaming" variety, to be defined by those who can't seem to live happy lives themselves unless EVERYONE around them is actively displaying signs of acceptance and love. Regularly and sincerely. Many of those people just didn't get enough love growing up or something....and sorry, will never come from the directions those individuals seek it.

to those types of people.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hiya Wabbit

I think I understand you pretty good!

There always are those persons that I guess think they're the only type of that person in the universe or are entirely consumed with their cause I think. In some ways I think it's a natural progression or icky side effect of any movement. Civil rights protesting used to involve occupying 'white only' areas in aggressive ways and even into racism I guess. (I don't want to start the civil rights vs gay rights debate before anyone asks!) Always are extreme people.

I find some gay persons when 'coming out' kind of explode into the activist scene if its been difficult for them to come out or they've hidden a long time. It's almost like being born again I guess. For months or sometimes years it becomes really important to the person to get everyone or anyone to accept them; especially if they've experienced rejection it becomes like, 'oh hiya, am Pinke and I'm gay for a living!' Defense mechanism almost.

Oddly, lots of people get over it or move on, or at least channel their energies away from actually annoying people and more trying to do the right things. It's not actually about sexuality often, it's finding identity I guess. I think even religious groups have similar 'types' of persons in ways.

You're kind of right that it's a side effect of growing up.

Guess am just saying am pretty sure I understand! It's probably not news to you what am saying. I think as the world matures we should hopefully see it less from all types of groups. Oddly I imagine this type of thing to stop bullying might help a bit on all sides. Less angry hurt people = less extremists?

Nice talking!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

There really is nothing stopping persons like yourself creating a 'don't bully but it's okay to disagree' movement. Why not work to establish that rather than complaining that it's forced acceptance or an attempt at normalizing homosexuality?

Because you people will take it over and make it all about normalizing homosexuality and bully people into accepting you.

That's why.

That's pretty much all you guys do is do whatever you can to bully people into submission, but mostly through ridicule and telling them what they really mean.

You people won't accept anything else other than your own ideals.

You're just as intolerant of anything that isn't pro-homosexual just as the other bigots are as intolerant of you.

Deny it all you want to, ridicule all you want to, but the truth is the truth.

You people were bullied and now you are the bullies.

That's the cycle of life in America.

You really can't get anything done in America if you don't bully people into submission. People just don't listen to reason and please and common courtesy anymore.

Now here comes the part where you ridicule me and call me a bigot and do whatever you can to shut me up.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

I would NOT AGREE WITH YOU if I were asked or had the opportunity to sit at lunch with a neonazi. I'd ask them about their views, possibly, or I would just listen, or I would just eat. It's not like they have cooties, for crying out loud!

If I listened and heard something with which I disagreed, I would still be respectful. That's called decency.

For me sitting at a table with a neonazi would be no different then sitting with someone extremely religious.

ANY Extreme ideology would be uncomfortable IMO. But this is not an exercise in debating ideologies.

I'm sure most kids will accept the day for what it is.

I expect most kids of bigoted parents will find their own way in their generation.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jough626

Don't forget the "Q". The "Q" is important. GLBTQ. It really shows there is an agenda. Grouping people together that have no reason to be involved in this movement?? Sounds like GLBTQ means EVERYONE, unless you op-out.

What does that even mean?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

The AFA has freedom of speech, but slander and libel are a horse of a different color. They are stating something to their "followers" that is NOT TRUE.
That should not be "allowed." IMO.

That's why they are on the Official Hate List.

Not because they are anti-gay - - - but because they put out false propaganda.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think both sides are wrong here. The AFA are just a bunch of busy-body haters that just push anti-family political agendas.

This anti-bully crap is wrong as well. How many bullies are going to stop messing with other people just because of "mix it up day"?

None. It's a waste of time and has not worked a bit in my area.

What has worked, and what I teach my boys, is if a bully starts to mess with you and wants to fight......fight!

Both of my sons have been bullied at school and each time they have defended themselves. Either they pound the snot out of the bully or the bully runs before it can happen.

Almost all bullies are desperate for attention and unintelligent. Happy little events at school are not going to stop them. Combat their ignorance with a mouth full of knuckles and see how long they keep messing with people.

Sometimes people only learn by getting a whooping....so give it to 'em.
edit on 17-10-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Who is "you people", ESC? I'm sorry, not following who you're upset with.

Bullying is harmful, IMO.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I agree 100%. It sounds as if the AFA is afraid being homosexual is somehow contagious. How small minded, bigoted, uneducated and backwards is this kind of thinking?

I'd also like to add, anti-bullying starts at home

Yes. It does.
Thanks for your contribution.

The AFA is also the source of the millionmoms or whatever, (which was really only a few moms), who pitched a fit about Ellen Degeneres being a spokeswoman for some store (Penney's)?

Really? It's ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

This anti-bully crap is wrong as well. How many bullies are going to stop messing with other people just because of "mix it up day"?

I have to disagree on this. It's entirely possible your're right on some schools and how it works. Probably more and more as the age groups rise and what the 'adults' have to say means less and less to the kids. Younger especially though, it seems this may work fairly well if reinforced by small things and no tolerance for kids being thumped on like it's a sport.

I agree Bullys can't be shamed into changing by the actions of the school or new rules. However, the solution you propose and I frankly found quite effective for myself growing up is what gets kids tasered and stuff into a Police unit for booking at Juvie hall these days.

I think these days could work in that Bullys need two things in my opinion. They need victims unwilling or unable to fight back effectively....and EVERY bully I've ever seen in life absolutely requires the positive reinforcement and affirmation of the people around them. By fear or by friendship, a bully doesn't care and probably prefers fear anyway. If the majority of the student body just told the bully what a punk he was then turned and walked away every time things started, how many times would the bully need to BE the butt of the joke by far too many people for him to be a "tough guy" with? There is hope!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

That's pretty much all you guys do is do whatever you can to bully people into submission, but mostly through ridicule and telling them what they really mean.

I'm not sure who 'you guys' are really to be honest. People who are pro-homosexual are quite a diverse group.

It seems to me you're currently telling me what I really mean, no?

You people won't accept anything else other than your own ideals.

I give them a chance when I can! I like discussion I suppose even if people disagree with me. I'm failing here clearly.

You're just as intolerant of anything that isn't pro-homosexual just as the other bigots are as intolerant of you.

Not sure you know me that well at all. I don't actually like the word 'tolerance' to be honest. There needs to be a better one.

You people were bullied and now you are the bullies.

Rights movements can be disrespectful, it's a pattern.

That's the cycle of life in America.

Not an American, thanks!

People just don't listen to reason and please and common courtesy anymore.

I don't think you're listening to my common courtesy or even acknowledging it! Not perfect but I try.

Now here comes the part where you ridicule me and call me a bigot and do whatever you can to shut me up.

No not really. I generally don't do that. We all have our moments I guess where we lose our heads, and I'm at least four inches short of perfect, but generally speaking am pretty mild mannered.

In another thread that was unfortunately deleted I replied to you regarding this kind of logic in a very friendly way I *think* but it was deleted. Not sure if you saw it, but blah ... I'll do the short version.

I try to be nice to people and listen to them as much as I can. Sometimes I'm not so good with words, so I end up writing a bit too much or similar ... but I do my best. I guess 'be the change you want to be' is the thing here. If you want to have a nice polite conversation with me, we can totally do that.

The fact is, the moment you refer to me as 'you people' or 'you guys' you remove my identity. How can you ever hope to have common courtesy with me when you won't even allow me to have a face? I kind of like my face. It's awesome.

You can U2U me if you like, we can talk about whatever you want except horticulture. I don't like horticulture. I might not agree with everything you say or do, but frankly that's normal. We could even start an off-topic 'meet someone that thinks you're wrong' thread. >.< We could have such an exciting future!

But until you let me be a person with ideas and feelings that wants to learn - not a category, faction, or side - that won't ever happen.

So, hiya, am Pinke. Nice to meet you.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I can agree programs like these may be better received by the younger kids. The older ones, not so much.

The problem I see is that these no tolerance policies do not effect the bully. The bully doesn't care about getting in trouble. But if a person is being bullied and defends themselves.....they get in trouble as well. For a good kid that was just going about their business, why should they be punished for defending themselves when the school, bus driver or whomever, could not protect them from the bully?

These policies give the impression to these kids that it's better to take a beating, empowering the bully in the process, instead of doing what is right and natural....defending themselves.

I think we are taking away a fundamental right everyone has in life. We all have the right to defend ourselves against an attack, but now the person being attacked is lumped together with the bully through policy.

We need to empower those that will stand-up for themselves and back them. Some insane policy will not do it for them.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

It seems to me you're currently telling me what I really mean, no?

This is a dirty trick called trying to turn the argument back on the person.

And I have no interest talking to you when you already did the bs thing when you took something I said out of context, created a strawman, and called me a bigot so you can claim the high moral ground and score points for your entourage.

I have nothing more to say to you. You'll just keep on pulling your crap on me.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Pinke

And I have no interest talking to you when you already did the bs thing when you took something I said out of context, created a strawman, and called me a bigot so you can claim the high moral ground and score points for your entourage.

I have nothing more to say to you. You'll just keep on pulling your crap on me.

I've never called you a bigot or any other name as far as I know. Period.

I'm sorry you feel as if I did, and I'm unaware of any other 'crap' I've been pulling on you. Written mediums can be harsh and unforgiving to intention sometimes.

I'm well aware of what I posted, and all it was intended to get across was that sometimes the way you word things clearly puts people off side from the starting pistol. I still stand by that statement when you're generalizing constantly against people and throwing anyone with a vaguely left wing leaning into the same firing squad.

For example ... I have no entourage. The people who post against you have never been in my U2U box or know me at all to my knowledge. I'm just an ordinary person doing ordinary stuff. I'm not an activist or anything else you seem to think I am. Am certainly not perfect, but I'd like to think a couple of ATS persons would back me up in saying I'm being absolutely genuine.

I honestly have nothing to gain by tricking you what so ever, and you really got nothing to lose by being nice! I'm not exactly running as your political opponent am I??? At worst you'll find out you were right. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

I can even U2U first if you like, but honestly it's fine if you want to continue as you are, too. I honestly like the concept of 'mix it up day' so to speak, and why not do it here at ATS? I honestly welcome the oppurtunity to talk to, share with, and understand persons who disagree with me in general.

All I can really do is say that I mean it, and if you really want we don't ever have to even discuss it in public so there isn't any feeling that I'm trying to impress my entourage or whoever. Pretty sure those persons think I'm nuts too.

Will Farrell says do it.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

I have no interest in talking to you.

Period.

Goodbye.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join