It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying ‘Mix It Up Day’ Targeted By American Family Association For Pro-Gay Agenda

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Koros

Well, VERY much glad to see you here!
There are some of us who really enjoy having the "stickier" debates and conversations. It's not always easy, but I feel it's important to discuss things that are "touchy subjects."

Don't leave without giving us a good, long audition, and I look forward to seeing you "on the boards"!

What made you decide to join, if I might ask? Or, if you've done an intro thread, I'll check that out, too.
Thanks again wild!

I have an introduction thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

May be best to move the "Welcome Wagon" discussion there, as to not derail this thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

I'm not talking about violence, I'm talking about sharing views with someone who has a completely different worldview from yourself. I think you would agree you would protest if you were FORCED to sit with a neonazi. That is the real issue, no one, not even children, should be FORCED to mingle.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
In recollection of those days of high school, of course we had some students who were "different" - girls who were masculine and rather athletic, guys who were effeminate and "dorky"....

in those days "gay" was not discussed; but the student body all knew that those kids were different in a strange way, and they were OSTRACIZED. I think it's better now, that kids can declare their stance and not automatically be denegrated. Still, back in the 70s, sexuality was hush-hush (if not downright denied as delusional), and weirdness was just weirdness.

It's not like no one noticed. I think it would have been better if those kids were respected for their "weirdness" rather than "shunned." But back in those days, I'm not sure kids were even encouraged to explore their "differences" -- it was more important to "fit in."

edit on 16-10-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I'm not talking about violence, I'm talking about sharing views with someone who has a completely different worldview from yourself. I think you would agree you would protest if you were FORCED to sit with a neonazi. That is the real issue, no one, not even children, should be FORCED to mingle.

No one is "FORCING" them! It's an opportunity to stretch oneself!!

I would NOT AGREE WITH YOU if I were asked or had the opportunity to sit at lunch with a neonazi. I'd ask them about their views, possibly, or I would just listen, or I would just eat. It's not like they have cooties, for crying out loud!

If I listened and heard something with which I disagreed, I would still be respectful. That's called decency.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That sort of sheep/shepherd/wolf ideology works in a different way on public internet forums though I think: The wolves aren't so static and do come around sometimes, and it's a somewhat risk free way to plea your case to them so I don't think it should always be discouraged - but for the most part I agree with you.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
reply to post by maus80

What can be accomplished by the segregation of children based on social, religious, or political views? You are presenting a common neonazi viewpoint about forced desegregation, while talking about being forced to sit with them. It's confusing.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

So, isn't what tbe AFA is saying also just a suggestion? Suggesting that this might have a gay agenda to it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the AFA is not holding anyone at gunpoint forcing people to view mix it up day as a gay agenda. The schools, or whoever, are suggesting kids should mix it up. Others, like the AFA, are suggesting there is a gay agenda behind this. So what's the problem? Freedom of speech works both ways.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yeah, there's nothign wrong with countering ignorance, what you have to realize however is that they will never listen.

I am beginning to realize that, after decades of trying.
There's still a tiny part of me that hopes they WILL listen, someday, and refrain from continuing to hurt others.
Thanks, tenth!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Please read the sources that are linked. The AFA is projecting something onto the project that does not exist.

The answer to your question is "NO". They are not "suggesting it", they are STATING it:
Observe and learn: www.afa.net...

On, Tuesday, October 30, over two thousand schools across the nation will be observing "Mix It Up" (MIU) day. MIT is a nationwide push to promote the homosexual lifestyle in public schools. A strong focus is directed specifically to elementary and junior high grades.
MIU is a project of the fanatical pro-homosexual group, Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).
This is the same organization that launched hateful and malicious rhetoric toward the Family Research Council just prior to the August shooting of a security guard by a SPLC sympathizer.

See if your school is on the list.

AFA is joining other family-oriented groups in urging parents to keep their children at home that day if their local school is sponsoring the "Mix It Up" project.

The Southern Poverty Law Center is using this project to bully-push its gay agenda, and at the same time, intimidate and silence students who have a Biblical view of homosexuality.

It's asinine and despicable.
They couldn't even keep the MIU acronym organized. Let alone blatant accusation of the curriculum as "fanatical pro-gay". WHAT??!! No. They invented it.

edit on 16-10-2012 by wildtimes because: clarity and colorize

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koros
What bothers me about the American Family Association (and other groups like them) is that they constantly espouse the notion that they aren't a hate group, yet the balk at every initiative and program designed to reduce hatred toward the GLBT community. I'm sorry, but that doesn't add up. You can't fight against tolerance and not be a hate group. So, sorry AFA but if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

I get what you're saying, but what if AFA protested at each NAMBLA conference?

Like I said, I get what you're saying, but your logic isn't sound.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

His logic is perfectly sound. The North American Man-Boy Love Association? Yeah, that's something they could protest that is espousing exactly their "beef".

The Mix-It-Up program is NOT DOING THAT. What if AFA protested at the NAMBLA conference? They'd be within their rights to do so. But projecting NAMBLA's objectives ONTO THE SCHOOL PROGRAM is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

I won't go in to my diatribe about NAMBLA references in relation to GLBT discussions, because I know your intent isn't to paint us with their brush as many attempt to do.

But, I have to say, that using NAMBLA as an example is a bit left field here. Just for the sake of argument (and I am loathe to do this, but I have a point to make), let's put NAMBLA under the umbrella of "gay rights group." They aren't, but I need to make a point. So, if we accept that hypothetical premise, then we can move on.

If there were, say, 100 individual groups, movements, or initiatives that sought to end anti-gay sentiment and legislation in the country, and one of those 100 was run by NAMBLA with their individual goals in mind, how would it change anything in my earlier point? If the AFA protests all 100, are they instantly not a hate-group because one percent of the groups/movements they oppose is one that is near universally considered abhorrent?

Preponderance of the evidence here is what I'm looking at. Time after time, movement after movement, groups like the AFA rail against secret "gay agendas," "gay lifestyles," and "indoctrination." The espouse hatred of the people involved and the movement those people are creating. So, they hit the nail on the head one time out of a hundred (with NAMBLA). That doesn't mean that one correct assertion validates the other 99.

Now, I have to end this post because even hypothetically calling NAMBLA a "gay rights group" is making me sick.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Stating something still falls under the freedom of speech. And if the southern poverty law center is involved, now I know they won't ever have a "mix it up with neonazis" day.
So while I understand your concerns that the AFA may tarnish the reputation of mix it up day, there is really nothing to worry about, is there? Was mix it up day actually canceled? No, they are encouraging parents to keep kids home that day. Is that allowed? Do the parents have that right? Better ask SPLC

edit on 16-10-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The problem is, a lot of these anti-bullying campaigns are started by homosexuals and comes across as being only for protecting homosexuals and does not truly address the problem of bullying in schools.

The other thing is, those pro-family people now come across as being for bullying people.

Personally, I want to see all bullying be brought to an end, but sadly, bullying is how society works and is a way of life in America. Americans do not truly value individuality, they value conformity. They just can't agree on what to conform to.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

So while I understand your concerns that the AFA may tarnish the reputation of mix it up day, there is really nothing to worry about, is there? Was mix it up day actually canceled? No, they are encouraging parents to keep kids home that day. Is that allowed? Do the parents have that right? Better ask SPLC

Yes, the parents have the right to keep kids home......It's totally allowed....
what worries me is that the kids who are "kept home" on the basis of the AFA's false extrapolation will not be able to see that there is a world outside the walls of their homes.

The AFA has freedom of speech, but slander and libel are a horse of a different color. They are stating something to their "followers" that is NOT TRUE.
That should not be "allowed." IMO.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

The SPLC engages in slander and libel all the time,

The "Ron Paul Revolution" failed to put the RADICAL libertarian and outspoken Texas congressman into the White House,

www.splcenter.org...

There's nothing radical about wanting freedom, following the constitution, and reigning in the federal government. So with all due respect, the group behind this mix it up day also engages in slander.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I would have hated a project like this as a kid. All the popular kids, for a day (week, whatever), "have to" talk to the unpopular kids, like the unpopular ones are a project, people to be pitied, so pathetic they need a special day just so others will talk to them.

How condescending and insulting.

And I'm guessing this is where the whole pro-gay message of mix-it-up comes from: www.tolerance.org...

From the website:
"They focus on widespread issues of social injustice including children at risk, hate and extremism, immigrant justice, and LGBT rights.."

We all know what "tolerance" means: "You WILL accept the homosexual lifestyle". 'Cause if you don't... well then you're intolerant (a bully). And we all now that bullies are the new bad guy. So bad in fact, that we need national campaigns to eliminate them.
edit on 16-10-2012 by davjan4 because: added link

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Children have NO problem mingling with children who are "different" than them...NOT until they hear all the bashing, "anti this" and "anti that" from their parents or other adults who feel as such. I believe they are born with a clean slate, and with every "program" that's instilled to "help" them, comes another "brick- in- the- wall" of their personalities. They don't need this kind of "help!" Our children can no longer be CHILDREN...this much is true! Thank you ADULTS! Maybe we should really listen to our children sometimes.

While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I really want to point out here again in terms of a gay angle to this....I looked over the site hosting this whole event. It's about 2 links deep into the OP source link to get to things like Classroom suggested lesson plans and student activities.

That's usually where things like little kids putting condoms on cucumbers are actually found when the groups are truly running a secondary agenda. They've got levels of material here available from the K-1/2 range up to the teenagers. It all looked as advertised. Anti-Bully/Anti-Predator behavior from the ......problem children....every school tends to have.

I couldn't even find Gay students or conflict running through their site as what you'd even call a passing focus. If anything, it was far more focused on religion re: Islam and acceptance or at least getting over open signs of hostility where none is warranted. Then the shared focus was race as I gathered.

Isn't this all what we really want to see the kids exposed to? I don't want my kid indoctrinated with politics from any side. However, in looking at the site itself..well..I just can't find anything I wouldn't be just fine teaching my son here at home. Why not reinforce with peers and teachers at school too?

as a side note? The Megan Meier case made serious news given the unique nature of what happened at the time and being so close to where I'm at here. It turned out to be a grown adult that drove this girl to suicide, but the GIRL never knew that and Google will spit out a dozen or two more like her that died very similarly. The bullying is lethal these days.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Can you IMAGINE how nice it is to know the most popular and well-off students have your back?
reply to post by maus80

Can you imagine when they don't have your back? And why, if we are trying to stop bullying, would anyone need to have someones back?

they constantly espouse the notion that they aren't a hate group, yet the balk at every initiative and program designed to reduce hatred toward the GLBT community.

Don't forget the "Q". The "Q" is important. GLBTQ. It really shows there is an agenda. Grouping people together that have no reason to be involved in this movement?? Sounds like GLBTQ means EVERYONE, unless you op-out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join