It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying ‘Mix It Up Day’ Targeted By American Family Association For Pro-Gay Agenda

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koros
Good to know, thanks. I'm new here so haven't quite figured out the personalities of the various subforums and/or other posters.

One of the most important things to learn right away, is how to tell the difference between those familiar with the source material, or at least aware of what was presented in the OP, and those who just showed up to spout opinions, create straw men, and be ridiculous in general. You'll see what I mean.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by maus80
reply to post by Koros

He's implying that this is a "be nice to gay kids day", because he is just being the kind of usual junk we get on ATS. "Oops I didn't read the story when I was accidently being a ____ to kids all over world" blah........

That's some nice tolerance there. Proves my point exactly. You want me to be tolerant towards gays, but I'm too busy being tolerant towards people who call my thoughts "junk." Congrats on raising that tolerance bar.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

reply to post by Koros

He's implying that this is a "be nice to gay kids day", because he is just being the kind of usual junk we get on ATS. "Oops I didn't read the story when I was accidently being a ____ to kids all over world" blah........

That's some nice tolerance there. Proves my point exactly. You want me to be tolerant towards gays, but I'm too busy being tolerant towards people who call my thoughts "junk." Congrats on raising that tolerance bar.
There is a difference between tolerance of those whose lives, racial background, or sexual orientation are different from yours and tolerance of those who choose to espouse junk beliefs.

Gay people harm no one by being gay and fighting for equality. Bigots and homophobes harm a lot of people by espousing their beliefs.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Because the initiative has nothing to do with being gay or straight, other than that the AFA has made it about that. To imply that it does shows that you didn't read the story and have no respect for those who care about this subject.

If the AFA said that public games of BINGO were forcing the straight population to mingle with and accept gay people, would you then come along and say "If gay people want to force straight people to play bingo with them, gay people should be forced to play bingo with straight people, and nazis."? You can see how that's offensive and ridiculous I hope!
edit on 16-10-2012 by maus80 because: addition

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Personally, I don't see anything wrong here. Let's prepare our kids for the real world. When we grow up we associate with many different people from all walks of life. We may not like everyone, but the fact is the world runs on money. No matter someones background, we still need their money to prosper. Wether it's gay money, black money, asian, mid-east or ugly peoples money.......we do what we have to get it from anyone. You can't get it by offending people and only dealing with the cool people. Our survival depends on our sociability. So what is wrong in teaching them the hard cold facts of what the world is really like?

I admit this was an odd reply, but true as I see it.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz
There is no such thing as a "homosexual agenda". The only agenda is that gay people want to be treated as equals in society.

I'm sure when the civil rights movement was at full steam that there were bigots calling it the "inter-racial agenda" as well.

It's nothing more than a regressive mindset.

actually youre wrong, and even gays will tell you that there are some groups out there that have an agenda....and that its more political than it is about gay rights......it drives them nuts because it does nothing but make it harder for them.......

inf act most of the gay people I know get really really irritated at some of these organizations making huge issues and being (drama queens)......
edit on 16-10-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

reply to post by Koros

You just blatantly blanketed a whole group of people drawing a direct line between ALL republicans neonazis ......and gay haters.....

If gays only wanted equality, there would be "mix it up with heterosexuals day" where gays have to hang out with straights and everyone had to be nice to republicans and neonazis.

And youre accusing someone ELSE of lowering the tolerance bar..........

You have GOT to be kidding me........maybe you need to look at yourself in the mirror before you start throwing stones
edit on 16-10-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz
reply to post by elrem48

I agree with you forthe simple reason that "gayness" can be hidden, whereas being "black" cannot...obviously.

Alright then;

I'm sure when the women's rights movement was at full steam that there were bigots calling it the "female agenda" as well.

edit on 16-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

My comment ONLY meant THAT which I said, nothing more. "Agenda" means having a plan, or organized list of upcoming events....sooo I'm sure women's libbers had this, as they organized many different events?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Oh there's a gay agenda alright.

Read all about it here

Unless of course, you prefer the satire version, which is Here.

Is it just me or is AFA becoming less and less relevant these days? Is their influence waning? I'm pretty sure it is.

So what do loud, obnoxious and intolerant people do when they think they aren't being paid any attention?

They turn up the volume and start claiming that their message is relevant, in situations where it clearly is not...

At all.

So let's ignore those who should be ignored, like these dimwits, and much like the WBC, laugh and mock them for their flawed and hateful rhetoric.

Much like the best form of birth control, the best way to ignore nonsense, is to laugh at it.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Twice apparently.
edit on 10/16/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hey OP, I just wanted to mention that after reading your reply and more of the thread I went back to your link and spent some time going through the site there and reading what this Tolerance day is about from their side. I have to say, if there was even a direct mention of gays anywhere in the suggested activities or plans or lesson material, I missed it.

I saw plenty about Race, Culture, Religion and such...and going all directions as I would hope to see it. One area mentioned whites in a strongly minority area as well as an example that hadn't really crossed my mind...but black students in Dearborn, Mi. I'll even given them an extra point for pulling no punches about calling the issues exactly how they are and not sugar coating the race/culture problems that certainly do exist in our kid's lives.

So, after all that? I have absolutely no clue what this idiot from the AFA is going on about? Secret Homosexual agenda? Yeah... it's SO secret, you don't even know they have one by reading all the material they have to offer.
Now that's so secret, you'd almost call it self defeating, eh? lol...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Koros

Hi, Koros.
Welcome to ATS! I'm honored you felt comfortable joining this thread on day 1!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So let's ignore those who should be ignored, like these dimwits, and much like the WBC, laugh and mock them for their flawed and hateful rhetoric.

Much like the best form of birth control, the best way to ignore nonsense, is to laugh at it.

Mmm hmm...indeed!!

They get louder and more "all up in your grill" when you ignore them, but eventually, receiving only disdain, maybe they'll stop.

Still, they're hurting people with their hatefulness, and that's impossible to ignore, for me.

Thanks for chiming in, tenth!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Koros

Hi, Koros.
Welcome to ATS! I'm honored you felt comfortable joining this thread on day 1!
Thank you wild! I'm happy to be here.

I have more than 15 years of experience in formal and competitive debate, public speaking, and persuasion (plus long memberships on other discussion forums). So, the notion of joining in on a discussion and debate, even among an established group, is nothing foreign to me.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So, after all that? I have absolutely no clue what this idiot from the AFA is going on about? Secret Homosexual agenda? Yeah... it's SO secret, you don't even know they have one by reading all the material they have to offer. Now that's so secret, you'd almost call it self defeating, eh? lol...

I know! Right??

I wonder who dreams up how to twist perfectly decent social-adeptness efforts into some sort of demonic evil?

It's amazing. Really.
Last night I was pondering "What is it like to be a person who really, honestly, gives NO THOUGHT AT ALL to how others feel when they are maligned or ostracized, bullied or exploited."

I can't fathom it. I can't understand it.

Yet, I know adults whose "feelings" I don't want to be spared...instead I want them to suffer for their cruelty.
Because they hurt the feelings of OTHERS due to their own hatefulness or belligerence or indifference, it really bothers me. I always seem to put myself in the shoes of the one being bullied or denigrated;

and then it's hard to want "good things" for those bullies.

It's a strange thing, how we choose who to defend, and who to dismiss. I'd like to think I care about everyone's feelings, but if they're jerks, well, I only want them to feel how they make OTHERS feel. Yes, I wonder "What happened to you that you are such a bully and so negative and hateful?" That's about as far as I can get with empathizing with them. But I can't take their side at all.

Am I making sense? I know it could be looked at as a double standard, but "act like a jerk, get treated like a jerk" seems to fit those people who lack all compunction or compassion for others.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Koros

Well, VERY much glad to see you here!
There are some of us who really enjoy having the "stickier" debates and conversations. It's not always easy, but I feel it's important to discuss things that are "touchy subjects."

Don't leave without giving us a good, long audition, and I look forward to seeing you "on the boards"!

What made you decide to join, if I might ask? Or, if you've done an intro thread, I'll check that out, too.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Simple question: would you "mix it up" with a neo nazi? Would you sit at lunch with a fellow peer you know has neonazi views?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

If the AFA said that public games of BINGO were forcing the straight population to mingle with and accept gay people, would you then come along and say "If gay people want to force straight people to play bingo with them, gay people should be forced to play bingo with straight people, and nazis."? You can see how that's offensive and ridiculous I hope!

LOL!!

That's a GREAT analogy!!

It could be applied to ANYTHING. When I was a kid, my parents insisted we swim at the public pool; we never joined "country clubs", we didn't live in the swanky neighborhood, and we went to the segregated schools in mixed neighborhoods. Until high school, that is. There was only ONE high school in our town, so all of the kids, no matter what neighborhood they lived in, went to that school beginning with 10th grade (we had junior high for 7-8-9th, which were still "neighborhood" schools.

It was weird to discover in 10th grade, while getting acquainted with kids from the other two schools, that they always assumed I either went to one of the mucky-muck junior highs, or the other, but when they learned I'd gone to the "lesser" junior high, I was almost immediately rejected by some of them.

Sad. Painful. Disillusioning. Still, I'm glad that I grew up the way I did, surrounded by all kinds of people. Fortunately, it was also a college town, and it was after high school that I was able to begin mingling with foreign students. I think diversity is something that should be taught from earliest childhood.

Maybe that's partly because of how I grew up. I hope so. Still, there were painful consequences of not being "one of the cool kids" on arrival. Very painful. Scarred me for life, and I'm not being dramatic by saying that.

I still sting from those hurts, and I've been out of high school for..*counting*...36 years now!
(Holy Moly!) Never went to one reunion, and don't plan on it.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Unless the students present an actual threat or danger to each other, there is no reason they would be harmed by sharing time at a table. If they do present any real threat or danger to other students, that is a separate issue that should be addressed separately. It is not a valid argument against students sharing time together, unless you are also for separating students based on social and political views?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yeah, there's nothign wrong with countering ignorance, what you have to realize however is that they will never listen.

Never join in protest against a group to change their points of view. They will not.

Join in, so that you can attempt to influence the same minds they are with their hatred.

The people.

Always direct the message to those who are listening, not those shouting.

~Tenth
edit on 10/16/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join