It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary McKinnon extradition to US blocked by Theresa May

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MCL1150

Apparently he did.

Gary just wanted some UFO stuff like the rest of us, it would have been nice if he found something!!!!

edit on 10/17/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
miracles do happen

good stuff, truth shall be known

i know we are not alone, never were and so do you

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Can someone explain what exactly this case is about i have not really heard that much about it so a quick recap would be great thanks

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninjas4321

Can someone explain what exactly this case is about i have not really heard that much about it so a quick recap would be great thanks

Man in the UK with Asbergers creates a hacking technique that basically enters usernames and blank passwords into thousands of government computers. He did so to find existence of UFOs in a cover-up. He claims that he saw a few pictures, but couldn't save them because he was on a slow-speed modem. I mean, he isn't lying about hacking into the computers because the US was fighting to have him extradited so it did happen. Validity oh his photo claims? Who knows.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

Gary McKinnon is not a terrorist that we should fear. He is a half-way nut job that broke into our defense computers - if he can do it then other real terrorist can do it. Fix the damn computers and thank McKinnon.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasSteel
reply to post by wiser3

Gary McKinnon is not a terrorist that we should fear. He is a half-way nut job that broke into our defense computers - if he can do it then other real terrorist can do it. Fix the damn computers and thank McKinnon.

Please explain, if you even bother to come back to this thread, why
he is a "nut job"?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberLegit

Man in the UK with Asbergers creates a hacking technique that basically enters usernames and blank passwords into thousands of government computers. He did so to find existence of UFOs in a cover-up. He claims that he saw a few pictures, but couldn't save them because he was on a slow-speed modem. I mean, he isn't lying about hacking into the computers because the US was fighting to have him extradited so it did happen. Validity oh his photo claims? Who knows.

No he didn't. He ran a script that located routers/servers/software that was still using the default login credentials on military networks. Then used those credentials to search for UFO related materials. He didn't create any "hacking technique", he just exploited the US's dumbass insecurity.

Which is why what he did is not technically a crime in the UK. He didn't crack anything.
edit on 17/10/2012 by BMorris because: Additional info

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I heard this today and applaud the decision! I was sure that they'd cave to America and send him over there. The Us seemingly can just demand anyone to get sent over there in the past while at the same time denying us of the same treatment when the shoe is on the other foot. This has caused outrage in some circles of the US, but to be facing 60 years in prison for what he did is just mad imo. I heard a government rep for the US today saying how humane the prisons are over there and how great and liberal the prison system has been in the US for decades. I find this funny after reading Howard Marks book and finding out the DEA made sure he was sent to the prison with the highest rape statistics in the country just because they were so mad at how long it took to catch him. Humane indeed, especially that desert camp prison in Arizona I think it is where they serve the inmates food labelled 'not fit for human consumption on' and brag about how cheap they can house and feed the prisoners.

Yes prison shouldn't be a nice place, but prisoners still deserve to be treated humanely. The system in the States seems to get off over doing this to people and Gary is hardly a master criminal at all The support from normal Americans for Gary is also touching and shows that there are a lot of issues with the justice system in the US (not that ours is by any means a good example by the way!)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by daddysreturn

I'm pretty sure they do that in some cases. In this case it wasn't his hacking skill thought as other osters have said, it was flawed security that made it easy to access so he is hardly a master hacker.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris

No he didn't. He ran a script that located routers/servers/software that was still using the default login credentials on military networks. Then used those credentials to search for UFO related materials. He didn't create any "hacking technique", he just exploited the US's dumbass insecurity.

Which is why what he did is not technically a crime in the UK. He didn't crack anything.
edit on 17/10/2012 by BMorris because: Additional info

Look dude, i'm not looking for some irritating technological argument - and due to the amount of whiny overly-specific internet users out there I knew someone would just HAVE to correct me. I'm just generalizing the story for a poster. However he did it, it is acknowledged that he was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I can Imagine it now !! if he was

Where are those Files Gary we know you Saved them and Put them some were

where are the Disks !!

is it Safe !!! as his Healthy Tooth is being extracted without Anesthesia

in Guantanamo Bay of Course ....

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
WOW!

That's awesome! Such a great woman this lawyer is to stand up to all those corrupts lizards... I mean British politicians!

THis seems like McKinnon can now play the card of disclosure... I hope this paves the way for an all-out historical exposure of the "non-human" infiltration of the US military.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

The blank password technique is an old hacker's basic practice. Before using password cracking programs you first try the most OBVIOUS, that is look for unsecured accounts, so you don't end up running after your own tail...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I think they mean he is seriously ill due to this going on for eyars, it's worsened his mental and physical health.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

The house breakin/computer hack analogy doesn't work.

What would be worse, someone breaking into your house or someone looking at your computer files ?

It's a bad analogy.

QV.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Ye he really looks like a serial killer here :

news.bbc.co.uk...

QV.

edit on 17-10-2012 by qvision because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Okay I'll theorize....

The UK thought, "hey this guy has skills, lets keep him and get him working for our MIL, and get him to provide us with all his intel. and for doing so we'll get rid of the extradition, we'll blame it one some metal illness or something".

Oh why do you think they call it the "Criminal justice" system.

r2 you never cease to amaze me with your ridiculousness.

You are so consistently off the mark I'm starting to see you as a 'reverse barometer'.

That said, I'm am absolutely delighted that Gary has been spared a farcical trial in the callous circus that the US calls their 'justice system'. For once we hear some good news. Nice one Theresa May, and congratulations Gary!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
reply to post by Flavian

You are right in the fact he did a crime, and knowingly hacked a system.....There should have been charges brought up. .if someone broke into my home and was caught , it's a crime. I would press charges. Even if the burglar was just " snooping" and didnt take anything...it's still a crime. ..(.especially federal property. ).... If the burgular was in my home just looking to see what kind of a tv i had, its still breaking and entering.. And id be pissed. Would you? He broke into the U.S. system, and it was wrong. I dont care if he was looking for UFO information, or nuclear information, he was wrong. ......But, on the flip side who knows what else he saw, and maybe he is being saved from extradition so he tell all he now knows. ....Maybe he is just THAT smart that he knew he would get away with it, he knew he could hack the system, and by cracking a deal to tell what he discovered.....he'd be saved.

Gary McKinnon has stated that anytime he was hacked into the US governments system he could see how many other hackers were also online in the same system. He said there were anything up to 300 people worldwide online. He has also stated it wasn't that hard to get into the system in the first place.

As far as being right or wrong I agree, to a degree, with you. However US prosecutors were going to make an example of him, and as we all know the US legal system is very far from lenient, merciful, or even judicious for chrissakes! In the US the law serves the needs of the state and not the individual.

I'm very happy to hear this news.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
WOW!

That's awesome! Such a great woman this lawyer is to stand up to all those corrupts lizards... I mean British politicians!

THis seems like McKinnon can now play the card of disclosure... I hope this paves the way for an all-out historical exposure of the "non-human" infiltration of the US military.

Awesomeness it is!

But seriously, do you think Gary would now go on and create more controversy and draw more attention to himself? I'd say he would just want to get on with his life and try to forget the stress and worry of the last ten years. I also think that if he had anything to disclose he would have done so shortly after getting caught.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXSvenXx
Apart from Gary admitting guilt can the legal system even prove beyond doubt that it was Gary doing to snooping?

I mean all they have is an admission of guilt from an Asperger's syndrome sufferer.
That admission of guilt should not be accepted in any court of law because of his illness.
And an I.P. address that anyone could have been using.

So where is the proof that he committed any crime?

That's what I would like to see. They claim that he caused almost a million dollars of damage. More like the gov spent a million dollars to upgrade their unsecured network and want to stick that on Gary. It's all bs from the get go. Besides if you're a hacker looking for info why do damage to a system when your goal is to be low profile and not noticed?? Gary was using a dial-up 33k modem for crying out loud!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join