Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Gary McKinnon extradition to US blocked by Theresa May

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Good I hope he never goes before a judge or an American court for that matter. They just want to make an example out of him and install fear of reprisal in those who want to spy on big brother. Seems he must have ratled some cages somewhere after all this time they still have a price on this head. I thought this was over but I guess not quite.

Here's a thought, what if the Brits pulled him aside one day and grilled him on everything he knew. They would then protect him from extradition in exchange for intel on what he seen? After all the US spies on it's NATO allies so one would think the Brits would might even use him as an asset?

Anyway just what i suspect makes sense now why they would block over something like aspergers.

They want to keep him for a reason
edit on 17-10-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Apart from Gary admitting guilt can the legal system even prove beyond doubt that it was Gary doing to snooping?

I mean all they have is an admission of guilt from an Asperger's syndrome sufferer.
That admission of guilt should not be accepted in any court of law because of his illness.
And an I.P. address that anyone could have been using.

So where is the proof that he committed any crime?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This video lecture contains an excellent presentation on the subject of Gary McKinnon, what he was doing and what he discovered as well as the legal issues involved:

I'm glad Mr. McKinnon did not have to face American justice in this matter. American justice is in very bad repute these days and quite rightly.

Of course we all know that America has never been more imperilled. America's problem is that it is not spending enough on the military. It needs to discontinue all spending that is not military related and for God sake it's time to create a special wing of the Military Police to crack down on poorly encrypted computer passwords.

The McKinnon case is as important as the "19 hijackers from hell".

Lord, please save a country in peril! Lord please stop helping professional sports stars score touchdowns and slam dunk B-ball points and put a little more time on securing America! Thank you Lord! Shape up Lord! Get your act together. America isn't going to put up with slackers on high. Cruise missiles over Paradise! Wait for it Lord. It's coming unless you start cooperating. There's a price to pay! (One of Hillary's technicolor dreams.)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Ok first off I haven't read all the posts.

But I have all ways found it stupid of the PTB of instead of going after hackers to imprison them but should offer them a job along with any others they can find of developing of system that is as best as possible hacker proof.

This happens world wide not just in the USA,

But I'm glad that the extradition has been blocked.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I think America is its own worst enemy. They stand half a chance under Presedent Obama.
Hillary seems to go where her guts guides her as she did with her rant over the Iraqu war! When it clearly had nothing to do over 911!
If Romny gets in. It will end up down one of its sinkholes!
Gary was up to mischief, yes, but that was 10 years ago. He fell in the rabbit hole and was not the only one either!
I can't believe how neive and harsh some Labour politians have been. Still indignant with their special relationship. Obama culdnt care less, he's still tryining to educate the rednecks!
The aliens are already here. No need to get onto that. That's another story. Its about time the heads oif government got together on this. They need people like Gary to show them the way, never mind about who broke into this, that or the other. Get on with it!
Sort yourselves out and stop acting so bloody childish! It s like kids in the playground! We only get one life, one chance.
For world peace and before its too late and the aliens get their fingers in more pies!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Wow I am shocked that we have finally stood up to America, we have done nothing but kissed their ass since WW2.

You've got to remember that after WW2 the UK was ready to break the speed of sound but instead the UK government shut down the program and gave all the technology to the US in exchange for nuclear weapons technology which they never got, it's been a one way street ever since.

It makes me laugh that there are so many documentaries on TV about the space race etc. but they all neglect to mention that the US space program and jet fighters etc. were built using British and German technology.

Who invented the jet engine? Frank Whittle, a Brit and who invented rocket tech, the Nazi's, lets try remember that.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Cant believe that some people are saying that gary should face justice for hacking "secure" i nformation. It was not secure information at all, because anyone with little knowledge could have done the same thing. Gary is not what you call a proper hacker. He would not have a clue! All he done was use a simple perl script, thats it. I cant believe they actually made it that easy, and lucky for them that it was just gary.

Also, i would like to add. If gary did indeed find evidence of free energy and ET, do you think he is still the criminal, and not the government? Are you happy that your government could be sitting on this information, information that could change the world for the better, but want to keep it secret so you carry on paying the high energy bills and thinking that your government are keeping you safe.

If gary did find this information, as he said he did, then he should be applauded

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I will get flamed for this, particularly here on ATS, but i have absolutely no sympathy for Gary McKinnon. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Very simple really.

However, regarding the extradition, i never really understood the need as his sentence could easily be served over here. He isn't accused of murder, drug trafficking, terrorism or even passing on the files that he did hack. He simply snooped.

As the crime was against the state (regime) of the US, it does make sense for him to be tried in the USA or at least for the US judicial process to be applied to him. Certainly no need to serve a sentence over there though. Aside from anything else, why waste US taxpayers money to jail someone over there who isn't a threat?

I work for the US Government in the IT field, specifically the Information Assurance (Cybersecurity field).
You can be black and white (and that's proper, I'm not debating that). However, as someone who works directly in this field and has done so off and on for the last 15 years I have some insight into this case.

10 years ago (Circa 2002) Cybersecurity was pretty much non-existant. It didn't take a genius to hack into systems. The Government was especially vulnerable. Anyone with an Internet connection, free time and want to hack into computers could do so. It was THAT easy. 13 years ago, when I was still active duty US Navy, I remember I used to be able login and sign off paperwork from my home (and all I needed was the IP address of the computer at work) - and that's how unsecure it was. The culture was "what's the big deal?"

Thank fully that culture is much different today. However it was not always so. This guy wasn't Kevin Mitnick. He didn't steal thousands of dollars. He didn't lead the FBI and other agencies on wild chases. He broke into some unsecure low hanging fruit at the DOD / Pentagon and managed to rifle through some files, none of which were Secret or above.

And of course the DOD / United States would trump up the charges against him...most likely in an attempt to make Gary an example to other would-be hackers, so you can't really judge it off that.

Yes, what he did was wrong, but I think the nature of the crimes doesn't deserve extradition away from his support network. UK is more than capable of trying him at home and letting him serve his jail time in his own country.
edit on 17-10-2012 by zeeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Good news
but it still makes me laugh when the press insist on calling him " A Hacker" He happened to come accross a leaky hole in their computer network where ...heaven forbid operatives didn't think it prudent to have a PASSWORD
Dorks! I'm guessing the Chinese and Russians were equally p*ssed*ff when there favourite leaky hole into US Defence Department got plugged. Yes he possibly could be quite adept at hacking but it wasn't required in this instance.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother
Well i wasn't expecting this but it is good news. Shame it took this long for it to be cleared.

One, question though, when did this government start looking out for our general publics welfare?

They didn't. This is about their own welfare. I think they realise the strength of public opinion concerning this case. It would not be in their own interests to extradite Gary McKinnon.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This case is a credit to those who work for the rights of the disabled.
People need to read Jodi Piccoult's HOUSE RULES to see how terrible even Asperger's can be.
These people need help- - they are gifted with unique abilities, like this hacker.

They should get jobs, not trouble. He couldn't stop himself. They aren't good at stop.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It's actually good to see Britain sticking up for our citizens for once. We're so used to just bowing to America's wishes on everything and being their [female dogs] for the past god knows how many years, this is actually refreshing.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
I work for the US Government in the IT field, specifically the Information Assurance (Cybersecurity field).
You can be black and white (and that's proper, I'm not debating that). However, as someone who works directly in this field and has done so off and on for the last 15 years I have some insight into this case.

Good.

Then please tell me why these PENTAGON COMPUTERS had local logons consisting of "Admin" for username and nothing for a password. Remember, he didn't "hack" these PC's.. He just accessed enough via VPN + RDP, then remoted into many machines until he found ones with simple local logons.

lol.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

Oh yeah my bad, forgot about the cavemen

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Good.

Then please tell me why these PENTAGON COMPUTERS had local logons consisting of "Admin" for username and nothing for a password. Remember, he didn't "hack" these PC's.. He just accessed enough via VPN + RDP, then remoted into many machines until he found ones with simple local logons.

lol.

That's the norm with many big businesses.

Big contracts are won on a handshake and "buddy buddy" system but the implementation is less than perfect. Add in the factor of time v cost v resources and you have a project managers nightmare.

This is nothing new, here in the UK I have come across some shocking lapses in security across a range of organisations (I too have been in IT for the past 15+ years).

Most hackers are able to dupe the average employee and get the information and it's common knowledge in the world of IT that every other password is not secure because making a secure one means "I won't remember it".

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Good.

lol.
if you are correct, how scary!

did you guys read about the president's "nuclear football" (or should that be basketball? LOL sorry) getting remotely accessed allegedly by China? HOLY MOLY

hole-y mole-y internet, that is...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm glad Gary McKinnon extradition to US is blocked.. this cyber stuff that's going on now, is at an all time high..
Gary just wanted some UFO stuff like the rest of us, it would have been nice if he found something!!!!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Saw this yesterday on the news.

Excellent decision...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Free the guy already - or are they too scared?
edit on 17-10-2012 by Floydshayvious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Good.

lol.

We call this "Low Hanging Fruit". Typically DOD Information Systems are pretty large consisting of smaller groups of computers which are then networked together in a subnet that ultimately forms a larger, interconnected network.

Workstations are typically the lowest of the "Low Hanging Fruit". Before Content Management Systems, Version control software, and other types of tracking systems became available everything was done by hand, using a log. When systems required upgrades, they had to be done by hand (and by hand I mean manually, physically at the terminal in question), hardened by hand and then documented and logged.

Like I said in my post above, this was Circa 2002. Software and Operating Systems were designed to be fully functional and easy to use (as to support the widespread usage and adoption of that software) out of the box. Security wasn't even a fore-thought. If you've ever used MS-DOS do you remember ever having to log in?

Older versions of windows always came with the Administrator password unlocked as well as the guest (so the Installer could install the OS and set it up properly upon first installation). What usually happened (and no doubt applied in the Pentagon as well) is that workload was high to get these new fangled computers up and running as fast as possible. System Administrators and technicians installed these PC's (which was dictated by workload and NOT security) as fast as humanly possible, probably only securing those that they knew MUST be secured.

Hence the term "Low Hanging Fruit". Some of the non-essential systems or workstations that weren't critical to national security, nor critical to any other Information System process sometimes get overlooked when management lets workload dictate the schedule instead of Security.

Thus ole' Gary comes along, tries some default passwords and BLAM - access granted.

This used to be the paradigm in the Information Technology world. Today, since computers have been recognized as essential in the work place, Security has taken the center stage. Information is the new gold friend, and everyone protects their gold.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join