What would be the ideal animal or animals to keep if the SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
A topic I really know nothing about since I own no animals now. But if the SHTF how easy would it be to keep animals? They'd have to provide enough benefits to keeping them otherwise I could see it not working out long term. At first it might not be too practical but I'm sure after things start to settle down and people start to settle back into an agrarian lifestyle then animals would start to become essential.

So what would your strategy be for keeping animals, either say if you were on the road, or say if you were settled into an acerage somewhere?

You'd need some of these...

edit on 16-10-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Rats...have anywhere between 12-30 babies a month

I hear rat burgers are not that bad,

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
none ...... when TSHTF the last thing you need is a "plan".

When you start worrying about your livestock or your super duper nuclear bunker made out of wood and tinfoil , you make mistakes , and die.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Goats, short haired if you know nothing about them. Eat anything, climb mountains, can defend themselves, good source of food and good eating. Easy care!

For defense, nothing better than well trained German Shepherds. Good breeding stock, litters would make awesome bartering. They can eat the before mentioned goats or be trained to get their own food. You don't need many of them to bring down most game.

Of course a lot depends on where you are located. Acreage in a desert or an area with harsh winters would make life difficult.

P

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Two from my small herd. As mentioned before, they are practical, eat anything, and provide excellent milk.

I've already been bartering with extra males from the herd. Keep the females for milk and breeding stock. Get the small breed ones. I have African Pygmy goats. Easy to care for, valuable stock to keep all around. Also have Great Pyrenees dog for guarding.

Des

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
A kitty becauz dey are kewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwtt

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Well trained dogs of a large breed. But you have to raise them from puppies to ensure no bad parenting has occured. No small breeds as they are freaking obnoxious. Pitbulls would be my choice, they are cool dogs.

Well trained so you dont have to screw around with thrm running off and looking for them. But dogs are pack animals and tend to follow an alpha.

Males need to be neutered as puppies or theyll run off every time they smell pussy. And they can smell pussy for a mile or so. If shtf, you can neuter them yourself. There are non surgical methods that farmers use, theres a tool that just breaks the spermatic cords. Doesnt cut the skin. Available at farmers supply stores and sometimes gas stations.

Dont ever have more then one female dog. They are very dominant to eachother and will kill eachother if you dont break the occasional fights up. They dont stop fighting once they start.

Also, well behaved dogs will sometimes adopt the first human they see if theyre abandoned. You might not even have to try to get one. It happened when i was a kid once.

Cats are too independant to be real useful, but if you dont feed them they will hunt mice, rats, rabbits, even birds. If you feed them they have no reason to hunt....

or did you mean farm animals? Definitely chickens. Dont raise hogs or cows or bulls unless you have experience....these animals can kill you if youre not careful. Theyre usually peaceful though.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Rats...have anywhere between 12-30 babies a month

I hear rat burgers are not that bad,

That was my first thought when I saw the thread title.
Rats are prolific breeders and are almost like goats in that they'll eat near anything, including each other.

Many people have the whole 'Run for the hills' plan when it comes to SHTF, which is ridiculously ludicrous since pretty much everyone else also has the 'Run for the hills' plan, which means that these magical hills that every thinks they're running to will be swamped with starving people, killing any and everything that moves such that any and all wild life will have likely moved into the cities that everyone has fled from.

SHTF, I'm staying in, or headed directly for the nearest, largest city where everyone is fleeing from.
If I'm in a coastal area, I'm making a bee line directly for the Marina to GTA reliable sailboat, while grabbing kit from others.
The ocean will provide safety far away from all the other people that are just as much a hazard as whatever has caused SHTF, food, and I'll have means to travel anywhere on the planet.

Some rats on board would actually be welcome 'livestock' since they don't take up much space, breed prolifically, and as stated before, will eat near anything.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Save a spot for me on the boat, I don't know how to sail, but I can fish ha ha

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
reply to post by Druscilla

Save a spot for me on the boat, I don't know how to sail, but I can fish ha ha

Your avatar suggests you take the Kevin Costner Waterworld approach to bait?

Sailing a boat is easy. People make it out to be way more complicated than it actually is, until they learn how.
How to Sail a Baot

The toughest part is learning all the names of what everything is.
After that, it's fairly simple, unless you're going out with some old-school square rigged block and tackle boat.
Modern sailing is an easy one person job for most Sloop style boats up to around 60' once you know what you're doing.

Bonus: no petrol required and you can go anywhere on the planet there's ocean to take you.

edit on 16-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Goats. Chickens. Pigs.

They can mostly take care of themselves, and have a fairly good feed to meat ratio.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I'd keep it very simple, myself. We're talking about SHTF times when security and even location to stay and shelter may be very fluid or become that way without much warning, right?

Get a dog. Two if you can manage it. They're so much better when you have two who are both intelligent and keep each other company.

My reasoning is very simple. In a SHTF situation, anything worth growing to eat will be too much commitment and work while simply staying low key and safe is a primary concern. On the other hand, times may get real tough..and who knows? That's the point, right? I've read of dogs essentially staying right by their master's side to the death for lack of food or conditions.

Try that with almost any other animal and the gleam the owner mistakes for love is more likely the glimmer of seeing a whole new form of dinner.....namely, it's owner if hunger is a true issue. IMO, Dogs are as loyal as they come if a bit of care is shown for choosing one....and most dogs will fight to kill if their owner is under attack. Nothing like another set of motivated claws in a pinch.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Rabbits breed quickly and give a better return than rats, catch some wildones and pen them in in a run, breed them correctly and you will have a good supply of meat and fur.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I agree, as long as the "SHTF" isn't something ocean-affecting (like super ocean radioactivity) the first thing I've always planned on doing if society collapses is find a sailboat... something like a 32-40 footer that has enough room for my wife and kid, but something I can sail without a crew. with some fishing line, hook, and something shiney I can eat fish all day.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Do an aquaponics garden and raise something fast growing such as Tilipia. You will need a semi warm place to keep them due to the 80 degree requirement of keeping their habitat to where they will spawn. Rig your tank for solar so as to run a filter pump.
You can store food and antibiotics for them. Their antibiotics such as Fishmox is Amoxicillin and can be also consumed (in proper dosages) by humans in times of need.

The more animals you have is the more mouths you'll have to feed so anything that can take care of itself like chickens are also good. They probably won't lay many eggs in these conditions though so raising them for meat is still ideal.
edit on 16-10-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I raise chickens and have a rooster....They are open range which is nice when they eat the bugs. Ive seen my chicks fight over frogs LOL!

The best other animal is rabbit. They breed skin and clean easily, and do not require much space. They are quieter than chickens and if need be can be kept in the house

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Do an aquaponics garden and raise something fast growing such as Tilipia. You will need a semi warm place to keep them due to the 80 degree requirement of keeping their habitat to where they will spawn. Rig your tank for solar so as to run a filter pump.
You can store food and antibiotics for them. Their antibiotics such as Fishmox is Amoxicillin and can be also consumed (in proper dosages) by humans in times of need.

The more animals you have is the more mouths you'll have to feed so anything that can take care of itself like chickens are also good. They probably won't lay many eggs in these conditions though so raising them for meat is still ideal.
edit on 16-10-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

Actually, my free ranges lay an egg a day...which is honestly way too much. In the winter they lay one every other day......

I agree on the fishmox etc...great to have on hand!!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Goats, rabbits chickens.

All will take care of themselves if they have to. All are hardy enough to survive year around even in sub zero winters with nothing more than an open sided roof to keep rain off them.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A dog with some sheep. The sheep would make wool, the dog would heard and protect them, plus you could eat the sheep. Chickens would be ideal too.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
A Sperm Whale powered by a Turbo Fan, made out of Graphene, but so light it can also fly because its powered by Pratt & Whitney J58-P4 engines which also powered the SR71 Blackbird. These engines come from the side of its body where its little flippers are. It can also house a small building inside its belly for 4/5 people to live comfortabley (Building is able to exit the whale and whale has is powered like Knight Rider, infact is knjight rider but is whale super version).. Can walk on land too, because it can convert its under belly into Caterpillar tracks made also out of Graphene..and DIAMONDS! (Extra hard) Has a Docking station ontop for a Drone, too. Weaponized with a minture Gustav and 2 Bofors'.

Also equpied with diving suites out of the film Abyss.

And a spade, for them sticky, hard to get out of situations.
edit on 16-10-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum