It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What just happened in northwest Louisiana? Unexplained Explosion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Interesting, theory on the ground is the salt dome underneath is collapsing. This may be what is causing the sinkholes. Perhaps it also triggered an explosion?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Could it be ET related? What kind of munitions do they keep at that base?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Strange things going on in La lately. Theres the HUGE sink hole over the salt dome in Southern La, that you barely hear anything about and now this thing being seamingly covered up

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by OneisOne

Would that be consistent with a ground source explosion?

Honestly I don't know. Maybe it's imaging the smoke plume? At first I thought fireball, but surely people would have seen a fireball. It does say at the link that it had the reflectivity of "moderate rain".

All this is very odd and really smells of a cover up. If they did evacuate the kids & prisoners I would think that would have been all over the local news sites. But not a mention of it. (I wonder about the timing, were people commenting about the kids & prisoners before it was said they were evacuated? Was that released just to help with the coverup?)

reply to post by Ulyeney

According to people who have commented on the local news site Camp Minden has a military school for "at-risk" children. Louisiana Youth ChalleNGe Program

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Could it be ET related? What kind of munitions do they keep at that base?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the munitions. Personally, my main concern is BAFB. It could be likened to a sleeping giant, especially since most people are not even aware Shreveport has a military base there, much less one that is a significant Air Force bomber base.

2/2/2010 - BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. (AFNS) -- Air Force Global Strike Command assumed responsibility for all long-range, nuclear-capable bombers Feb. 1 as its commander commemorated the occasion by visiting the Air Force's three bomber units, in three different states, on the same day.

"We're a new command, a command for the 21st Century," said Lt. Gen. Frank G. Klotz, commander of a force that now numbers nearly 23,000 people responsible for 450 intercontinental ballistic missiles and 96 nuclear-capable bombers.

Completing what he called a "very methodical, step-by-step" transition, the general told Airmen at each location that bringing the nuclear-capable bombers over from Air Combat Command into the new command that already controls ICBMs is a step that continues to strengthen the Air Force's 'nuclear enterprise.' Joining the command were the 20 stealth B-2 Spirits in Missouri, and the 76 remaining B-52 Stratofortresses stationed at bomber wings in Louisiana and North Dakota. Air Force Global Strike Command gained the ICBMs on Dec. 1.

"Global strike and nuclear deterrence are the heart-and-soul of what the Air Force does," the general said, emphasizing the importance of the command's mission of deterring potential enemies while assuring allies.

After addressing hundreds of Airmen in a 7:30 a.m. gathering Feb. 1 at Barksdale, one of the two B-52 units in the Air Force, General Klotz took off for Minot AFB, N.D., along with the 8th Air Force commander, Maj. Gen. Floyd Carpenter, and Chief Master Sgt. Jack Johnson, Jr., the AFGSC command chief. Eighth Air Force runs daily operations and planning for the B-2 and B-52 units.

Airforce Global Strike Command

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Some updates from Minden Press-Herald's Facebook page

- Explo Systems has canceled the 11 a.m. press conference.

- Webster Parish Sheriff Gary Sexton says State Police will handle the investigation.

- Sexton says meteor theory was only a speculation. No evidence found in Parish.

edit on 16-10-2012 by OneisOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
No eyewitness reports from anyone I personally know yet. All responses so far are about what they were doing at the time they heard the explosion, what they first imagined it could be, what in their house fell or shook or rattled, etc.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Starting to smell like a cover up...
www.ksla.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Chief Deputy Bobby Igo says the bunker belongs to a company called Explo. Authorities said they would have more information at a 9 a.m. news conference at Camp Minden, but that news conference was postponed until 11 a.m., and then canceled with no explanation given.

Two cancellations in a row.

Not good.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Maybe they have already cleaned up the evidence? I know just hoping this is over and not something much worse than anyone can imagine.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
From their website

Explo Systems is a 7-year old, veteran-owned small business located on the former Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant (LAAP)
Explo’s management has been demilitarizing / recovering explosives / propellant for over 15 years.
Explo has a unique, on-site capability for purifying valuable TNT from tritonal for reuse.

www.explosystems.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It looks like one of Explo's competitor's wasn't too happy they lost the contract.

Explo Systems, Inc., a HUBZone small business contractor, of Minden, Louisiana, protests the award of a contract to General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, Inc., (GD-OTS), a large business in St. Petersburg, Florida, under request for proposals (RFP) No. W52P1J-10-R-0060, issued by the Department of the Army for the demilitarization and disposal of eight families of conventional ammunition. The protester argues that the Army failed to apply the HUBZone price evaluation preference in favor of Explo and improperly evaluated the awardee's proposal.

www.gao.gov...

Interesting to note, many of the comments on the news story report seeing a meteor like object.

"I saw the meteor/missile/space junk over Longview last night. I saw it well before 11:30. It was to the north of Longview headed east about 10:30. It was a good sized fireball with a tail."

"Why was it heard in texas but not ruston!? I even saw something go across the sky! "

"I was setting on my patio at approx. 10:25 pm last night and saw the very bright whitish light coming from the west to the east, descending. There was NO trail, NO pieces falling off, just a very bright light. I waited for a few minutes listening for some type of sound or explosion, I never heard anything. Over the years, I have seen countless falling stars and meteors, they ALL have some type of trail, this DID NOT!!! "

"About the explosion,"another government cover up"? Too many people saw the "light across the sky". It showed up on radar. Ten hours is enough time for the gov. "clean up men " to do their job. Hmm! could this be another Roswell ?"

"did anyone else see the orange pulsating lights in the sky shortly after the explosion. didn't look like a bunker explosion "

www.ksla.com...
edit on 16-10-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gerryjimerson
www.nydailynews.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

In addition to the contract dispute, looks like they are being sued by several employees siting Fair Labor Standards Act (24 total if I'm reading the page right).

dockets.justia.com

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
So what about all the eye witness who said they'd seen a fireball in the sky, what explanation is there for them because people obviously seen something in the sky ?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Comment on news site:

John Scott
53 mins ago+6
Share | Flag
I saw the meteor/missile/space junk over Longview last night. I saw it well before 11:30. It was to the north of Longview headed east about 10:30. It was a good sized fireball with a tail.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
this image was posted on the news channel facebook page by someone claiming this story was removed from the ktbs website due to "federal intervention" but it quickly taken off facebook and that facebook account is gone too.
hoax?

i1309.photobucket.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I just have to quote this entire article from FOX and the AP, because almost none of it makes sense:

Meteor or munitions? What happened in Webster Parish?

According to numerous reports, a loud boom was heard in a secluded area of the Louisiana parish, leading Sheriff Gary Sexton to tell a local television station that they “definitely had something happen” Monday night.

Area resident Shana Levick told KSLA 12 that she saw the sky light up a bright orange color, and observed “fire sparks” above the tree line. The boom reportedly shook trees and citizens out of bed and shattered windows during the night as well, leading to speculation that it was the sound of impact from a meteor.

This was no meteor, however. The National Weather Service branch office in Shrevesport, La., said the sound was a massive explosion at a munitions recycling factory.

“Monday night at around 11:26 pm, a large explosion occurred to the southwest of Dixie Inn, in Webster Parish, approximately 4 miles southwest of Minden, or 28 miles east of Shreveport … in the borders of the Camp Minden Army ammunition plant,” the weather service said.

The Associated Press reported that at least 10 explosions rocked the bomb recycling plant in northwestern Louisiana, forcing the evacuation of at least 600 students from two schools and more than 400 prisoners from the Webster Parish jail.

No serious injuries or deaths have been reported.

Explo Systems, which opened its site in January, has a military contract to disassemble bombs and recycle bomb components. Lt. Col. Carl Thompson, the camp's assistant commander, said he did not know how many workers were in the plant at the time.

He said the company employs about 60 people who work around the clock; all have been accounted for, he said.

The explosion was the second in recent weeks at Camp Minden, the former Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant that produced large-caliber ammunition for the military until it closed in 1994. Louisiana took the site over from the federal government last year and it is now occupied by several businesses. The Louisiana National Guard oversees the camp.

The National Weather Service captured images of the staggering explosion on its Doppler Radar system, explains a report posted online. “Based on radar analysis, the plume was initially as high as almost 7,200 feet above ground level.”

The agency said the radar imagery is similar to that usually seen with smoke plumes associated with wildfires.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

In the coming hours, I want to make sure none of it gets edited.

Note this part:

...the company employs about 60 people who work around the clock

Why did it take them so long to report it to the local authorities? And if they did, why were the locals still saying at 7:30 am they didn't know what it was?

This does look fishy after all...
edit on 16-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
More comments:

Saw them tracking something on radar this a.m. coming south of Sibley traveling northwest, recorded it on TV about 6 a.m. so whats up with that

LOTS of people saw this flame when it happened last night so why do they want us to believe that it took until this morning to find it? And why is the military involved now?

Maybe a meteorite did coincidentally hit the ammo bunker....Hit at about 10:30, smoldered for a while, then around 11:30 blew the munitions...Possible..?

There is something fishy going on or either someone needs to be fired. An Explosion that goes Miles, let me say again "miles" in the air and they try to tell us it was a meteor for 10 hours. I heard minutes after it happened that it was heard in Texas. I was waiting on the evacuation like last time. I hope no kids were hurt at that basic training school. They have the Jail out there too.

and my personal fave.....

The government does not know there butt from a hole in the ground,if they give you this line of bull, what else will they give's us, when something else does happen. People know what they saw.They are making us out to be fools

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join