It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What just happened in northwest Louisiana? Unexplained Explosion

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ok so for some reason none of the news stations are saying anything about he meteor shower tonight or when the best time is to see them in Northwest Louisiana. Hmm wonder why that is.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl

I can state quite comfortably that the subsurface of the State of Louisiana is not interconnected by a ginormous aquifer.
I can also state with reasonable surety that the entire State of Louisiana is not one gigantoid marsh. The Atchafalaya Basin ends at Opelousas. All other marshlands in the State North of that, are typically formed from low-lying river deltas.

Thank you very much for clarifying that for all of us. To be honest I was concerned about the methane stories, and for people I know that live all over the state.

I really didn't like it much there....LOL, that's why I no longer live there, however there are still a lot of people I know there that I worry about.
edit on 20-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So I just found out that on the 19th of October 2012 a sonic boom, believed to be caused by a meteor, rocked Devon and Cornwall counties. See the story from the link below.

Read more: www.upi.com...

Now after reading this, experiencing what happened in Northwest Louisiana earlier this week, on top of the spotting of a meteor in California, the explosions in Russia, Canada, and Alabama it got me to thinking biblically. I don't know how many people reading this believe in God but you don't have to really believe one way or the other just pick up a bible and read the book of Revelation. I will post some verses I find relevant these are from chapter 8:

8 When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

2 And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them.

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and hurled it on the earth; and there came peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

The Trumpets

6 Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

7 The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

8 The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood.[a] A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

12 The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night.

13 As I watched, I heard an eagle that was flying in midair call out in a loud voice: “Woe! Woe! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the trumpet blasts about to be sounded by the other three angels!”

Now take into account after reading that what has been going on around the world lately as well as think about the Mayan Calender theory. Is it possible that this is what is happening, could we really be at the beginning of the end of time?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Originally posted by stupid girl

I can state quite comfortably that the subsurface of the State of Louisiana is not interconnected by a ginormous aquifer.
I can also state with reasonable surety that the entire State of Louisiana is not one gigantoid marsh. The Atchafalaya Basin ends at Opelousas. All other marshlands in the State North of that, are typically formed from low-lying river deltas.

Thank you very much for clarifying that for all of us. To be honest I was concerned about the methane stories, and for people I know that live all over the state.

I really didn't like it much there....LOL, that's why I no longer live there, however there are still a lot of people I know there that I worry about.
edit on 20-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

I have the same concerns as well.
Sorry if I took your post the wrong way and came off sounding buttholey in mine. I guess I let my desperate need for some chocolate on this particular day that happens at regular intervals (..*ahem*) get the best of me.

I'm usually pretty laid back and silly, but I suppose hormones, stress and fatigue can make a beast out of most anyone.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Ok this was post by Fireballstrom on a other thread and think it apply here also
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=15180317#pid15180317

posted on 20-10-2012 @ 03:20 PM this post

Never before as I'm aware have they produced so many large objects and so far in advance. Really don't think that they are related

Yep, they are not related.

11. Is there a chance of a meteor from a meteor shower or storm reaching the ground as a meteorite, and is it dangerous to observe meteor storms?

The meteoroids which make up a meteor shower or storm are very fragile in nature, and are composed of a somewhat “fluffy” composite of material from which all volatile material has escaped, due to many trips near the sun. This material readily vaporizes in the upper atmosphere, and is given the descriptive name of “friable” material. While quite spectacular to watch, a meteor storm presents no real danger to the viewer, who is protected by miles of atmosphere.

Source: The American Meteor Society Meteor Shower FAQs

I can also prove that an Orionid could not have caused this event:

The radiant must be above the observer's local horizon in order for meteors from that particular shower to be visible.

Source: wikipedia

In the case of the Orionid radiant, at the time of the event in question, the radiant would have been over 15 degrees below the horizon, as you can see in the screen shot below of my planetarium software that was set to 16:15 BST on the 18th. The thicker white horizontal line represents the horizon, and I've indicated the approximate position of the radiant with a green dot.

Here's an illustration of the position of the Orionid radiant

In fact, the quote from wikipedia is slightly misleading as meteors from a meteor shower who's radiant is below the horizon can be seen, but not when it is below about15 degrees. Meteors seen belonging to a meteor shower who's radiant is below the horizon are known as "earth grazers", and they can be very impressive to see. However, due to the angle involved, an earth grazer from a radiant below the horizon, would always be traveling upwards in relation to a person observing it. So it would be physically impossible for a meteoroid to penetrate deep into the atmosphere, which it would have to in order to cause a sonic boom that could be heard on the ground.

I've tried to represent this situation with a diagram (sorry for the poor quality - I don't know how to draw straight lines with my software that are not horizontal/vertical), where "A" (in red) represents a location where the radiant will be well below the horizon for an observer at that location, and the green arrows represent the direction/trajectory of meteors.

As you can see, at the location in question, a meteoroid would be traveling upwards and out of the atmosphere, although it may have been low enough to produce sonic booms well before reaching this location, but too far to be heard at location "A".

Earth Grazing Meteors
One of the more fascinating aspects of our gently curved meteor meniscus is the fact that it will permit the viewing of meteors whose radiant is actually below the horizon of the observer. From Figure 1, it can be seen that a shower radiant which is exactly at the horizon, to either left or right, will still generate meteors which strike our meniscus horizontally, but "illuminating" only 1/2 of our observable sky. Meteors which are seen near the horizon will have some small entry angle into the atmosphere, but those meteors which occur nearly overhead will be travelling almost perfectly horizontal. These grazers can traverse unusually long paths through the atmosphere because they are skimming horizontally through less dense portions of air , rather than penetrating downward to denser layers. These meteors are quite spectacular to observe and can occasionally cover more than 100 degrees of arc for an observer below.

As the shower radiant dips below the horizon, it will, for a time, still be able to illuminate some portion of our meteor meniscus -- as long as the entry angle of the meteors into the atmosphere remains at 0 degrees or higher. This permissible region of sky shrinks as the meteor radiant drops, and the resulting meteors will occur at greater and greater distances from the observer. Finally, the shower radiant will reach a critical angle below which it can no further illuminate our observable sky, and the show will be over until the radiant once again begins to rise -- with the first possible meteors from the shower occurring when this critical angle is again reached.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Thank you so much for putting a period to that ridiculous sentence . I don't have your background but I was born and raised here after four generations. I did take some petroleum tech classes at McNeese for a while but then moved out West to do stunts and special effects. I'm back now working in the film industry which is booming here. Win win for me because I get to raise my family on the farm I grew up on and still do what I love.

I don't know why it is that people think we all went to school in a pirouge and have alligators in our back yards, although both of my daughters went and got their limit on gators with a family friend who has tags recently.

I said all that to say this: I grew up hearing about sands and shales and could tell you where the pools were and fault lines and who is still producing and who is getting saltwater all around our area. We have had some sort of oil on our property all of my life and you just get a feel of it. How people get the idea that there is any connection between Minden and Bayou Corne is beyond me. Star for you Stupid Girl. It's really uncomfortable for me to call any woman that, but, oh well. I write it with utmost respect to you though.

ETA: Haha. I said 'period' before I read your last post...no pun intended...gag
edit on 21-10-2012 by wirefly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wirefly

I thank you for your post here! I don't think Bayou Corne and Minden are in anyway related, connected or anything of the sort!

I live in Metairie, and I hate that on all the shows on TV they have people from New Orleans talking with that thick accent, and show alligators! LOL Sure I've seen a few gators but I can assure you there are none in my backyard!!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly
reply to post by stupid girl

Thank you so much for putting a period to that ridiculous sentence . I don't have your background but I was born and raised here after four generations. I did take some petroleum tech classes at McNeese for a while but then moved out West to do stunts and special effects. I'm back now working in the film industry which is booming here. Win win for me because I get to raise my family on the farm I grew up on and still do what I love.

I don't know why it is that people think we all went to school in a pirouge and have alligators in our back yards, although both of my daughters went and got their limit on gators with a family friend who has tags recently.

I said all that to say this: I grew up hearing about sands and shales and could tell you where the pools were and fault lines and who is still producing and who is getting saltwater all around our area. We have had some sort of oil on our property all of my life and you just get a feel of it. How people get the idea that there is any connection between Minden and Bayou Corne is beyond me. Star for you Stupid Girl. It's really uncomfortable for me to call any woman that, but, oh well. I write it with utmost respect to you though.

ETA: Haha. I said 'period' before I read your last post...no pun intended...gag
edit on 21-10-2012 by wirefly because: (no reason given)

lmao @ your ETA...

I was extremely hesitant to even go there, but I really did feel like my post prior to that one could have seemed a li'l b*itchy
And although I am a true Louisiana-brand smartass, I am not a b*tch.
One of the many things I learned working in a "good ol' boy" dominated field such as oil and gas, is that although the odds are honestly a tad bit skewed against your favor as a female, your likelihood of success in that field is truly what you make of it.
Having said that, one of the things that would behoove a woman employed in one of the few remaining male-dominated lines of work like that is to avoid acquiring the "cast-iron b*tch" label to the best of their ability.
Yes, I put up with a lot of crap.
Yes, I was discriminated against in many aspects, including per diem rate, prospect management, work-load expectations, etc.
Yes, I put up with sexual innuendo and perverted jokes.
Yes, nobody ever wanted to listen to the "stupid girl" because she doesn't know what she's talking about.

But I did know what I was talking about.
And I wasn 't a b*tch about it. I can't say I'm particularly good at much, but I was actually good at my job and made the decision early on to not fall into the trap of perpetually trying to prove myself, and to simply let my work effort and work ethic speak for itself.
I'm not gonna say I never felt resentment, obviously I still have a tinge of that itty bitty chip on my shoulder by the tone of my previous retort...lol....but, I know it's not justified and I'm just being hormonal

As far as what many people think about people in Louisiana, I can share your and Who Dat's sentiment about being asked if I went to school in a pirogue or had alligators in my backyard. Which, technically, I actually did have alligators in my backyard, but as both of you well know, that is the exception rather than the rule for those who live in our State.
For many people, the only way they can identify with Louisiana is by the t.v. shows on the Discovery channel, which are simply sensationalized versions of a minority population.
But, that is something most of us are guilty of anyway. I have a friend coming to stay with us who is from England and I asked him if he wanted me to make baked beans and toast for breakfast while he was here..lol.

Having said ALL THAT.....I'm not an expert in geology, nor a water corp engineer, nor anything of the sort, but I am familiar with subsurface composition and from what I know, Lake Bistineau is not connected by any sort of contiguous, subsurface reservoir to Donaldsonville, Morgan City, Lake Verret or anywhere else in the vicinity of the nefarious LA sinkhole, other than the natural veins of regular surface water run-off and diversion that all makes its way from Canada to the Gulf anyway.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by baileysmom426
So I just found out that on the 19th of October 2012 a sonic boom, believed to be caused by a meteor, rocked Devon and Cornwall counties. See the story from the link below.

Read more: www.upi.com...

Now after reading this, experiencing what happened in Northwest Louisiana earlier this week, on top of the spotting of a meteor in California, the explosions in Russia, Canada, and Alabama it got me to thinking biblically. I don't know how many people reading this believe in God but you don't have to really believe one way or the other just pick up a bible and read the book of Revelation. I will post some verses I find relevant these are from chapter 8:

8 When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

2 And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them.

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and hurled it on the earth; and there came peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

The Trumpets

6 Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

7 The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

8 The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood.[a] A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

12 The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night.

13 As I watched, I heard an eagle that was flying in midair call out in a loud voice: “Woe! Woe! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the trumpet blasts about to be sounded by the other three angels!”

Now take into account after reading that what has been going on around the world lately as well as think about the Mayan Calender theory. Is it possible that this is what is happening, could we really be at the beginning of the end of time?

Just to play the Devil's Advocate. Poor choice of words.
Just to present an alternate perspective.

Diary of A Layman #24 (Fall): The Chocolate Cake of Negativity

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I've haven't been on the offense to dispell that news article by The Examiner claiming the methane in the aquifer. Seems as if some other coonasses did it for me!

Now I am back to discuss the sinkhole topic in another thread lol

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I live on the bayou and did have to take my pirogue to school a few times thank you very much.....Nicholls State is 2 miles up da bayou from me. Easy to take a pirogue
. Been there done that.
edit on 22-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Just checked back on the thread and had a *lot* of posts to catch up with, but this is still a very interesting thread and I want to post my 2 cents about the footage of the two explosions.

For those who missed it, here´s the footage from the security camera:

At 10:30:33 and a bit, the first flash starts and lasts a full 5 seconds untill it dies out around 10:30:38 and everything goes dark again. About 4 seconds later, at 10:30:42 and a bit, two events start almost at the same time: first the second flash of light and immediately after that, debris or dust flying from the lighted scene towards and past the camera.

Now I´ve seen some explanations about the camera being approximately 3 miles from the bunker site and that the shockwave took 10 seconds to reach the camera. This is assuming the shockwave is the result from the first flash. The problem I have with this is that this comes down to around a velocity of 482 meters per second. As far as I could find, shockwaves from explosive ammunition or explosives usually travel about 2000 m/s up to Mach 28.

Maybe someone with more experience could enlighten me here? Right now I feel that there are two possible explanations for this "anomaly":

1) The first explosion was much farther away than 3 miles (at least 4 to 5 times as far)
2) The shockwave is the result of the second explosion.

Unfortunately, the footage isn´t long enough to see if another shockwave followed.

If 2 is true, then it took only about half a second for the shockwave to reach the camera, maybe a full second since the explosion was behind the treeline and likely occured a bit earlier than what we see. Assuming the second explosion was indeed 3 miles away (the bunker), then the shockwave traveled at 4828 m/s up to 9656 m/s. So roughly speaking, this complies to an ammunition storage exploding and propagating a high velocity shockwave. This would imply that the first explosion was indeed the trigger for the second, and had no traceable shockwave.

I know I made a lot of assumptions and rough calculations, but you get the idea. I was trying to enforce the idea that the bunker indeed exploded, but this was done by means of an external trigger.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeANDreaming

Ok so I wanted to point out that I am not one of the many buying into doomsday theories especially in the present moment. I think the Mayan thing is total BS. I am however a very open minded person and look at things from every possible perspective to draw conclusions. That being said, after reading about some of the things going on around us recently it does make me wonder if these are signs of what the Bible says are the beginning of the days of the end of the world. It is more curiosity than anything else. If it is the end of the world, which I by no means think that it is, then all of these idiots going out and stocking up on supplies for it are not thinking it through very well in my opinion, the end of the world means you won't survive it so why go to all the trouble of making sure you have water and canned food if you aren't going to need it in the end. I do thank you for this link however as it has given me yet another point of view on things and I do still stick to my first post a few pages back about what happened at Camp Minden. I still think it was a military training exercise that went wrong. Someone messed up big time and they are trying to cover their behinds so as not to get sued over it. I don't have any special intel to prove any of that theory but I do know that the military does these type of training exercises on a daily basis and well, no one is perfect someone is bound to screw up from time to time.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by baileysmom426
reply to post by AwakeANDreaming

Ok so I wanted to point out that I am not one of the many buying into doomsday theories especially in the present moment. I think the Mayan thing is total BS. I am however a very open minded person and look at things from every possible perspective to draw conclusions. That being said, after reading about some of the things going on around us recently it does make me wonder if these are signs of what the Bible says are the beginning of the days of the end of the world. It is more curiosity than anything else. If it is the end of the world, which I by no means think that it is, then all of these idiots going out and stocking up on supplies for it are not thinking it through very well in my opinion, the end of the world means you won't survive it so why go to all the trouble of making sure you have water and canned food if you aren't going to need it in the end. I do thank you for this link however as it has given me yet another point of view on things and I do still stick to my first post a few pages back about what happened at Camp Minden. I still think it was a military training exercise that went wrong. Someone messed up big time and they are trying to cover their behinds so as not to get sued over it. I don't have any special intel to prove any of that theory but I do know that the military does these type of training exercises on a daily basis and well, no one is perfect someone is bound to screw up from time to time.

I love how the KTBS pictures were extremely sarcastic and posted real big... Being raised in church, I agree with the things you've said about the beginning of the end of the world... In my opinion, IF something happens on 12-21-12 (3, 3, 3)(3rd, 3rd, 3rd), it could be a new age... People have started to debunk the entire thing simply because people will be rioting and stealing and "going out with a bang" if it isnt quickly debunked.

Something has definitely happened here and I'm determined to keep blabbering to these a-holes covering it up until something gives... They picked the wrong town/area to cover up... Louisiana is definitely a world of it's own with a large majority of people who stand beside each other and don't put up with pissant BS...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I didn't see a link to this newscast but it has aerial footage of the site. The blast was so strong that it knocked a passing train off of it's tracks. It also states that there have been previous incidents at Camp Minden.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LotusUprising
I didn't see a link to this newscast but it has aerial footage of the site. The blast was so strong that it knocked a passing train off of it's tracks. It also states that there have been previous incidents at Camp Minden.

www.youtube.com...

Im still wondering if the moving train story was to throw people off track, no pun intended... But it's buckled right at the crash/blast site, which only means it was stationary when wack-a-dood by whatever smacked it...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LSU0408
Im still wondering if the moving train story was to throw people off track, no pun intended... But it's buckled right at the crash/blast site, which only means it was stationary when wack-a-dood by whatever smacked it...

It does look like the train wasn't moving at the time of the blast (or crash). If the train were moving at the time of the explosion, more of the cars would have been thrown off the tracks. Something else to think about; why would a train be moving during the off hours that close to an ammo bunker? If no one was injuried in the explosion, then the train couldn't have been moving.

Personaly I still think an Aurora crashed in that spot. It fits everything together so well (the multiple aircraft sightings before and after the explosion, the UFO reports from Texas to Louisiana right before then explosion, the lack of burned up area around the explosion sight, the reports of the second explosions [to cover up the crash?], and the 7 hour delay for searchers to enter the area.)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RationalDespair

I watched the video and saw debris moving just before the beginning of the second explosion.
That means that the first explosion caused a shock wave and it arrived approximately 9 seconds after the beginning of the flash from the first explosion. The average speed of the shock wave from the first blast would be around 1750 feet/second, more than mach 1, but as you say, a far cry from the 2,000m/sec that would result from explosives detonation.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LSU0408

Originally posted by LotusUprising

www.youtube.com...

Earlier in the thread, someone who lives in the area said the train had been sitting there for a long time. The person thought it was used for storage of some kind.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
Earlier in the thread, someone who lives in the area said the train had been sitting there for a long time. The person thought it was used for storage of some kind.
This makes sense.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
At 1:27 in that video, the reporter stated that it was a train going by. Possibly misspoke but I thought it interesting.

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join