It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What just happened in northwest Louisiana? Unexplained Explosion

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Just curious, but why is there so much methane in LA??

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LSU0408
reply to post by OneisOne

You mean you gave up a little over a gallon of gas for that website? I commend you for following up on everything...

Who cares about gas! That's half way to one of my favorite 6 packs!!
(which in all seriousness is Sweetwater IPA)

I am wondering though if the simulated inventory of the magazine is close to what might have been stored in the one that exploded on Monday night.
edit on 19-10-2012 by OneisOne because: derrr.. fix tags!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

Why on Earth would the methane have to come from Bayou Corne? There is natural gas all over the place! Besides that, there are so many different faults and sands and shales between us, it would need to be a pipeline connecting the two for that to happen. Why can't the gas up there just be plain old up there gas? Sheesh!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiztidRoman

For the same reason it is everywhere else. It's natural gas.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stevie777
So let me get this straight...some people here think a Missile has been launched in anger against the USA and the Government is covering it up...

Get real people....America would have dealt the retaliatory blow by now and we would all know about it..

Could be the Aliens that were fighting the Chinese off the coast of CA.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

You are all brilliant and this thread is absolutely captivating my attention and interest.

I'm curious about the theory of munitions theft. Suppose there had been a theft and they left some behind to create a blast. How little an amount would be required to blow a cement dust cloud up to 7000 feet?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiztidRoman
Just curious, but why is there so much methane in LA??

Any place that has layers of past swamp material built up and rotting under the ground will have more methane. Also the bottom of present swamps which LA has a ton.

The melting of ice areas of the world that were once rich wetlands is going to and is now leading to big methane releases.

As one of the most significant natural sources of atmospheric methane, wetlands remain a major area of concern with respect to climate change. Wetlands are characterized by water-logged soils and distinctive communities of plant and animal species that have evolved and adapted to the constant presence of water. Due to this high level of water saturation as well as warm weather, wetlands are one of the most significant natural sources of atmospheric methane. Most methanogenesis, or methane production, occurs in oxygen poor environments. Because the microbes that live in warm, moist environments consume oxygen more rapidly than it can diffuse in from the atmosphere, wetlands are the ideal anaerobic, or oxygen poor, environments for fermentation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Sissel, Not sure where you lived here in LA, but, I was born and raised here in SW LA. Even here it's not all marsh. It's only marshy down in the coastal parishes, but north of I10, it's pretty much normal. We have some swamps for sure, but, so do lots of states. It's by no means all marsh.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by Stevie777

Can't disprove it without first trying to prove it. That's how I eliminated the meteor impact theory. This thread is on a few different tangents trying to get to the bottom of it...even my own opinion has been rather fluid. Gotta cover all the bases.

I dont see conspiracies in every story....a bunker blew up...the meteorites, if there ever were any, were coincidental...i dont see one Videos of strange meteorites the length and breadth of two/three states that were supposed to last for over an hour, but i could link/post up videos of two major meteorites/space debris from the UK this year alone, that lasted no more than 30 seconds each..

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

So let me get this straight...some people here think a Missile has been launched in anger against the USA and the Government is covering it up...

Get real people....America would have dealt the retaliatory blow by now and we would all know about it..

Could be the Aliens that were fighting the Chinese off the coast of CA.

you never now, eh...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I dont see conspiracies in every story

Neither do I.

a bunker blew up...the meteorites, if there ever were any, were coincidental.

In the first post I made in this thread, I said the same thing. It's circumstantial evidence that leads to the possibility of something else having happened. That's all it is, a possibility, but any possibility is worth following up on.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

It's hard to say. A standard 100 ton explosion would create a 7000-ft plume, but this isn't a standard explosion. The bunker is designed to direct the blast upward, so the upward force is greater than in a regular explosion. That would mean that a similar-sized cloud should be formed by a lesser yield, perhaps something like 20 tons. Maybe. To know for sure, you'd have to go blow up another bunker.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I suppose there must be a lot of methane in Russia too since they seem to be having the same issue...military related explosions.

When there are big explosions the military is involved in some role. They are the producers or controllers of the exploding materials...at the very least involved in the post containment of the site...and then filter the facts for public consumption.

Even if the bunker was operated by a company, I understand that the area was within military control, i.e., guards at the gates. That means that the military monitored who was on the premises. The explosion does not relate to the fire balls in the sky. Did they just occur at the same time by coincident?

Is it a coincidence that the Russian's had a bunker blow up the day before?

______beforeitsnews/alternative/2012/10/ammo-bunkers-explode-in-usa-and-russia-2481876.html

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
An update from just about an hour ago from the National Guard. Check out the link as it has an interesting photo of the bunker from ground level.

www.shreveporttimes.com... explosion?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

The substance that exploded was a smokeless powder and does not pose a threat outside of Camp Minden. Explo is currently conducting clean-up operations of the site. The incident is under investigation by the LSP. The incident area is a restricted area and will remain off limits to anyone other than authorized individuals due to normal operational security and safety requirements.

Interesting...if this was smokeless powder, why was the plume so enormous?
edit on 19-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I wonder what kind of "Smokeless Powder" explodes like that. (regular gun grade smokeless powder burns and doesn't explode)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Interesting...if this was smokeless powder, why was the plume so enormous?

Because of the soil and debris thrown up in the explosion. That's most of what goes into a debris plume anyway.

Looking at the picture at the link, it looks like the bunker did exactly what it was designed to do... it directed the blast upward, for the most part. Hence why the trees are still standing (though, it's interesting that a shockfront too weak to knock trees over in the immediate vicinity was powerful enough to be felt several miles away). Too bad they don't mention how much powder was involved.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
does that look like the same place as the aerial photo?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

The first pics from the video are too poor quality to be sure of anything.
It seems that this pic was taken standing in front of the train cars.
The trees leaning over don't match up.
The ash color grey in the first pic does not show up in the second.
It is hard to see in the first pic any concrete left standing.
Neither one show any concrete chunks or debris or dust.
I see a bunch of severely burnt wood that should have been burnt up by the time this was discovered.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

that is why i asked..it didnt look the same to me.
i am prob wrong but needed some input

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday
reply to post by Sissel

I wonder what kind of "Smokeless Powder" explodes like that. (regular gun grade smokeless powder burns and doesn't explode)

You are correct that it burns. However, when you add a compressive element, such as a paper wrap as in typical class c fireworks, or in this case, a massive concrete bunker, that deflagrating powder is quickly increasing in volume as it becomes a gas adding heat and pressure exponentially inside that bunker causing the process to accelerate until it has become an explosive device in and of itself. If that same amount of powder were sitting in a pile in the open air, you would have a very hot mess on your hands, but no windows blown out or trees knocked over.

We used to use a prepared six ounce charge of smokeless powder, about the size of your fist, inside a special canon rig to flip cars in movies. I could take that same amount of powder in a pile and throw a match into it and make a big flash with no concussive force at all. Now typically we use compressed nitrogen instead because it's cleaner and more controllable. Special effects have become a lot more scientific over the years, but it's still a wild ride to be sure.

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join