It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Moon was mostly salt, could frozen water on the Moon be confirmed?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

To be honest this thread was meant to fish for the believers of NASA, now I know which ones have so much faith in this so called NASA....I don't know, and you don't know, and therefore NASA doesn't know...So no one knows...

Your original post had a lot of factual errors that did not require "faith in NASA" to debunk. They could be debunked with a basic school-level understanding of science:

your original post:

I make this thread because now I am curious...We are talking about the Moon here which we know has no gravitational pull...Because with no gravity you can't condensate water...So I saw this previous post about frozen water on the Moon...Ok, so how did this frozen water become such a surprise...If there was an actual moon landing wouldn't something this obvious be noticed?....So what if the Moon surface is salt? Well with enough heat, the heat from the sun would burn the salt, which will become water. So when we supposedly landed on the Moon did we notice that the surface was salt?... I really have no sources to this theory. This was just off the top of my dome... Please contribute if you can.

First of all, it is lack of AIR PRESSURE, not lack of gravity that would not allow liquid water to condense on the Moon. The moon has enough gravity to allow for liquid water, as long as there is adequate air pressure surrounding the water (such as inside the pressurized LEM while it was on the moon).

Secondly, this frozen water on the moon that has been found was not in places that were so "obvious" to be noticed by the Apollo astronauts. The water ice on the Moon that was confirmed by the Indian spacecraft Chandrayaan-1 (and the NASA instrument on board -- NASA's "Moon Mineralogy Mapper") is in craters at the Moon's South Pole that are in perpetual darkness. The Apollo astronauts did not go there, so they didn't detect it.

That would be like someone exploring only the Sahara desert, and inferring from that exploration that the Earth has polar ice caps.

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
We as humans can continue to debate this, but is there tangible proof that frozen water on the moon exists? When, Where, Why, and How did it happen?

The "When, Where, Why, and How did it happen?" is being debated, but there are theories that say the water may have been deposited on the Moon via comet impacts. Those impacts may have originally deposited the water ice at various locations around the Moon, but only the water ice deposited in perpetually dark craters in the regions around the North and South Pole of the Moon was able to remain -- the water ice exposed to the solar winds was stripped away.

There are some scientists who found signs of water molecules trapped inside of volcanic dust brought back by the astronauts, but it was (and still is) very difficult to detect those molecules:

Researchers have tried for years to identify water and other volatiles in the lunar volcanic glasses, but were either unable to distinguish them from background gases or could not confirm that what they found was not a contaminant, says study author Alberto Saal, an assistant professor of geologic sciences at Brown University.

For the new study, researchers from Brown, the Carnegie Institution of Washington and Case Western Reserve University applied a technique called secondary ion mass spectrometry. They inserted the glasses in a sample holder made of the metal indium to minimize the presence of other gases...

...Based on models of "degassing"—the soda fizz–like escape of gas from rock—they estimated that the moon once contained 750 parts per million of water in its mantle, which they note is similar to the water content of Earth's upper mantle.

"It's a little bit startling because you don't expect to find indigenous water in any lunar sample," says geologist Paul Spudis of the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston. Most researchers believe the moon formed some 4.5 billion years ago when a Mars-sized body smashed into Earth and knocked a piece of it loose, which became the moon.

Lacking evidence of lunar water, most scientists had assumed that the collision vaporized any hydrogen capable of forming water, Saal says. "People convinced themselves there was not water."

He says the apparent presence of water so long ago implies that it either managed to come along for the ride or that meteorites brought it there within 100 million years after the moon formed.
Source:
Moon Once Harbored Water, Lunar Lava Beads Show

edit on 10/21/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Goddammit the moon is made out of cheese! Doesn't everyone know that ! Stop trying to confuse me with your logic.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

To be honest this thread was meant to fish for the believers of NASA

So you, by definition, are a troll.

<< 1  2   >>

join