It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Moon was mostly salt, could frozen water on the Moon be confirmed?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
As others have said, it is AIR PRESSURE that helps prevent water from turning to vapor on Earth. Without virtually no air, such as on the Moon or in space, there is basically not enough air pressure to provide enough weight to push the H2O molecules together in a liquid form, so it turns to water vapor.

A cup of water on Earth in a vacuum (where there is virtually no air) would boil away into vapor, even at room temperature. Normally on Earth, there is enough air pushing against the liquid water with enough weight to keep it liquid. However, in a vacuum, there is virtually no air to push against the water, so the H2O molecules basically fly off as water vapor, rather than being squeezed together as liquid water.

Gravity is not a factor.

edit on 10/16/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by WhatAreThey

Salt can absorb water though? So if there is enough atmosphere to condensate some moisture, and if salt is abundant, and it captures that moisture and the heat from the sun releases it, then it becomes water?

Wrong again. Salt does not absorb water. Do to the chemistry of each substance, you may think that it absorbs water, but it actually is a dessicant that draws moisture from the environment. It doesnt absorb it however because salt Dissolves in contact with water.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Salt deposited on the Moon would have to happen when Salt came down on Earth.
You would have to check with Velikovsky and one of his cosmic events.
I think the event involved Jupiter and salt came down on the Dead Sea, Sodom and Gomorrah
and Lot's wife. It caused the Great Rift from there into Africa. So perhaps the salt
came from Earth during the Rift that sunk the Dead Sea but I think Velikovsky needed
to prove a salt increase in the Oceans and Jupiter was convenient.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Moon? No Gravity?

Have you attended ANY school at all?

You know what its not my fault NASA didn't actually land on the moon...Hell you know what I have no idea what I am talking about...

You know what this whole thread is pointless...Why should I even be concerned about the Moon anyways, and if it has water or not? Obviously it is different from where I stand...
edit on 17-10-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

You know what its not my fault NASA didn't actually land on the moon...Hell you know what I have no idea what I am talking about...

You know what this whole thread is pointless...Why should I even be concerned about the Moon anyways, and if it has water or not? Obviously it is different from where I stand...
So why are you starting threads you come back later and say are pointless?

I see you registered on ATS in 2009...but maybe you missed the threads since then about the "bomb" hitting the moon which wasn't really a bomb, it was a kinetic impact into a polar crater to stir up some moon material so we could see what it was made of. The visual of the impact was anticlimactic, but it showed there is frozen water in the polar craters of the moon that don't get sunlight, so I guess they stay cold enough where the water doesn't sublimate or evaporate.

And is this pointless to worry about? If we never send another man back to the moon it might be, but if we ever establish a moon base of any sort, water on the moon will not be pointless. Who knows if that will happen?

It's not your fault whether NASA landed men on the moon or not, but it IS your fault what you say about that. There are plenty of threads on ATS about that to educate you, if you want to learn.

Originally posted by wmd_2008
Someone on another thread suggested some kind of test before your allowed to post
If the test question was whether the earth orbits the sun or vice versa, 20% or more of the population would fail depending on which country you ask in. And that seems pretty simple, so I shudder to think how much worse the results are on more complex topics like the chemical reaction to convert sodium chloride to dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO
). But if the test was on critical thinking, Velikovsky's theory would be a good test:

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Salt deposited on the Moon would have to happen when Salt came down on Earth.
You would have to check with Velikovsky and one of his cosmic events.

Worlds in Collision

The plausibility of the theory was summarily rejected by the physics community, as the cosmic chain of events proposed by Velikovsky was regarded as simply contradicting the basic laws of physics.
So why would I want to check with Velikovsky? The only reason to read his work is the entertainment value of seeing how someone can publish a story exposing an utter lack of understanding of basic physics, and have it hit the NY Times bestseller list. That just confirms how many people are scientifically illiterate, and were also when that book went on sale. The publisher was so embarrassed they dumped the book in 2 months and it was picked up by another publisher with no shame.

But Velikovsky aside, and perhaps by accident, TeslaandLyne in a roundabout way does have a point about some similarity in the composition of the Earth's crust and the moon which was confirmed by analyzing the moon rocks that were brought back. The Earth has a higher density because of the dense core, but aside from the core, the composition is similar which led to the current theories of moon formation. In any case since the moon composition is similar to the Earth's crust, that similarity might also apply to the proportion of salt, though I've never read anything specifically on a salt content comparison. The surface water of course wouldn't be similar because much of it evaporated from the moon but there's still some left in the polar craters (confirmed) and perhaps underground (unconfirmed).

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Velikovsky's cosmic activity ended about 600BC at the End of the Exile.
Velikovsky states Danial went into Exile under one calendar and at the End of the Exile
the days had changed ordering a new calendar. What cosmic event was responsible
I do not recall.

Before 600BC when planets went wild has hard evidence in human records and the
Earth features so says Velikovsky. There is as much validity as those today, since
600BC, saying planets go around in circles. Why should we discount the records
as Velikovsky could not have been the only one to pick up on ancient recordings of
planetary events. The ancient events were rejected as we feel the peace of an
assumed stable planetary system since 600BC.

So cosmic spillage and land formations due to Velikovsky's encounters can always
interrupt the puzzling ideas of today.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

One problem with Velikovsky's assertions is that he said Venus came to be where it is now after being ejected from Jupiter in the 1400s BCE. However, there are records dating back to the 1600s BCE tracking the astronomical positions of Venus -- positions that showed it right where it should be in the sky (such as the information contained on the Enuma anu enlil tablet -- although the tablet itself is more recent).

There is evidence to back up the idea that humans in the 1600s BCE understood Venus' position and movement in the sky as we do today, but no evidence backing up Velikovsky's assertion that it was ejected from Jupiter in the 1400s BCE.

edit on 10/17/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Last time I checked...Salt hydrates the body...I wonder why? Does heat turn salt into some type of energy water?

No, you need to read up on why salt dehydrates you. Read up on osmosis.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

As you know Velikovsky solves all that with his own time scale.
Venus messing with the earth caused up to 40 years of chaos.
The earth covered in clouds as he describes from a papyrus.
After all that Venus appears and must be appeased by human sacrifices
by peoples in South America. After several close cycles the regular orbit
is established. So in 1500 or 1600 Velikovsky has the Venus terror and
the Exodus as co events. I assume science does not recognize Venus as
a new planet at any time. As for the time of Exodus I have no idea as
science thinks nothing happened but a fairy tale. I think Velikovsky
indicates the poles flipped at that time as well that you won't recognize either.

Just saying strange things happen under Velikovsky's analysis that led to
deposits on earth or land formations and might effect the moon as well.
Also from Venus at the time of Exodus was the rock field deposit crossed
by Lawrence of Arabia as shown in the movie. That example I remember.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Why do you think salt transforms into water?

You seem to be a chemist expert all of a sudden you tell me....Does it become a vapor? Obviously it won't be its solid state...You got three basics states of being, Solid, liquid, vapor....

Since when does liquid equal water? The one with a problem understanding chemistry seems to be you.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Please keep the posts on topic and knock off the insults.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

My whole OP is about confirmation. Can NASA confirm that frozen water is even on the Moon?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I said they did, right?

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
The surface water of course wouldn't be similar because much of it evaporated from the moon but there's still some left in the polar craters (confirmed) ...
Did you even try googling what I said to confirm it? You're not much of a researcher, so here you go:

NASA spacecraft confirms water ice deposits on moon
That's the result of what some ATSers called the "moon bombing", which was the kinetic impact experiment with the crash of a rocket stage I mentioned in my earlier post.
edit on 17-10-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

My whole argument is about NASA, why the hell are you posting sh*t from NASA?

If some random person who wasn't involved in NASA came up with a confirmation of positive research about water on the moon or how the moon actually works then that is a different story...
edit on 21-10-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

My whole argument is about NASA, why the hell are you posting sh*t from NASA?
Maybe it's because you asked this:

Can NASA confirm that frozen water is even on the Moon?

Short term memory problems?

edit on 10/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok so I ask questions that I already know the answer to so why would people respond, is beyond me....? And yes NASA, do you Phage believe that NASA is so great?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Why do you think salt transforms into water?

You seem to be a chemist expert all of a sudden you tell me....Does it become a vapor? Obviously it won't be its solid state...You got three basics states of being, Solid, liquid, gas....

four states-solid liquid vapor and plasma
edit on 21-10-2012 by Bilky because: gas not vapor-my bad

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

To be honest this thread was meant to fish for the believers of NASA, now I know which ones have so much faith in this so called NASA....I don't know, and you don't know, and therefore NASA doesn't know...So no one knows...

We as humans can continue to debate this, but is there tangible proof that frozen water on the moon exists? When, Where, Why, and How did it happen?
edit on 21-10-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join