Dogs in a SHTF scenario

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I have heard a lot of people say that dogs would just be an inconvenience during a SHTF scenario. But I tbink tbey could be very useful even a pack of small dogs could be trained to hunt small game and provide a heads up if an intruder enters your encampment.

Our ancestors were helped tremendously by dogs. So I don't think they would be an inconvenience.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
...will be a major advantage, and maybe even save your life at some point. Unconditional love and loyalty can't be overestimated.

Unless their owners are already dead, in which case they'll form packs and eat all the Rice Krispie Treats in your BOB. Then probably you
edit on 15-10-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
With the exception of about three people I wouldnt want anything except dogs with me.
You can trust a dog, you cant trust humans.

As someone above mentioned, they would be very usefull.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I disagree.

Unless your dog or dogs are already trained and extremely disciplined. Then they will be a liability.
If you are a trained dog handler, with a trained dog, yes in that situation it would be an asset.

Even a trained dog, in a poor environment, and fatigued can get you killed. Look at the IED detection dogs in Afghanistan, they have gotten quite a few of their handlers killed.

Personally, I would just eat the dog.

Ha ha, dog food.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Something else to think about.....

There are 78.2 MILLION pets in the US and if the SHTF a large percentage will be turned loose and will form packs and hunt food (you & me).

keep your eyes open.... stay alert and carry Milk Bones!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

have you ever owned a dog? Dogs rely on instinct. If they are hungry they will hunt for food. If you can devlop a bond with the dog then he will come back to you when called and it will stick besides you.

I dont think our ancestors 10,000 years ago were master dog handlers, yet evidence shows they relied on dogs a lot

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I got a Miniature Pomeranian...That dog is my best friend. It may not be able to fight off a mountain lion, but hell it will stand its ground to larger dogs...Also has good sensing abilities.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

I have a terrier mutt, he will bark at ANY strange noise at nignt. He will also hunt and kill rats. During the winter months i take him to my grandmothers farm and he has cleared that place of rats 2 times.

you dont need to be the dog whishperer, if the dog trusts you it will be a big help to you

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
My dogs go with me no matter what. The preppers made sure I had enough food for me and my four legged friends for a year. Working on my bug out plan. I'm going to make sure, should shtf, I go as remote as possible. That is in the works but wont happen for another year. Frankly, I love my dogs more than people. I'd rather die without them.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SinMaker

I love my dogs more than people. I'd rather die without them.

This is true..I mean even when I have the worse day possible at work, and I come home grumpy...The first thing I see is my dog greeting me at the door...Do you honestly think that anyone who was in a bad mood, and see something like that would be in a much better mood?....You just don't come home and throw your dog against the wall just because work sucked...You always pay special attention to them in a good way, unless they piss on the rug and yeah.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Being a Rambo survivalist I have often pondered the dog conundrum myself. The only advantage I see in having a dog is that I could use it as a mobile meal. Its one of the few forms of lunch that will follow you around, with that being said it is a one time use deal.
The main problem I face as a Rambo survivalist is "how do I turn this into a weapon". The answer seems easy to some, "train it to be an attack dog" right?-WRONG. In order to be a suitable weapon it would have to best me in unarmed combat. This raises two more problems.
1. As a Rambo survivalist I am unbeatable in unarmed combat.
2. If the dog could best me it would only be a matter of time before he turned on me and tried to turn ME into HIS mobile lunch
I therefore came to the conclusion that dogs are a no-go for a Rambo survivalist. The best use of a dog would be to eat it and then file its bones down to make weapons .

Plus most dogs people have these days are for pets not for utility. Your common house dog has lost most of its natural hunting abilities by now. In some areas there are still dogs used for practical purposes but they tend to be loyal to their owners, not strangers. So unless you already have a dog they are nothing but food for you.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

You been watching to many Rambo movies...Yes if your dog was suddenly infected by rabies than yes that would be a no go....I highly doubt a dog would suddenly turn on you, unless you trained it to be a bastard...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I disagree.

Unless your dog or dogs are already trained and extremely disciplined. Then they will be a liability.
If you are a trained dog handler, with a trained dog, yes in that situation it would be an asset.

Even a trained dog, in a poor environment, and fatigued can get you killed. Look at the IED detection dogs in Afghanistan, they have gotten quite a few of their handlers killed.

Personally, I would just eat the dog.

Ha ha, dog food.

Most large, intelligent breeds of dogs are disciplined effortlessly.

Unless you're talking a Chihuahua or Terrier or something they're most likely going to be an advantage.

But I'd hardly consider a Chihuahua a 'dog'
edit on 16-10-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
But you know the old saying "it's a dog eat dog world" ... so you must eat the dog before the dog eats you after the shtf

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

But I'd hardly consider a Chihuahua a 'dog'

Some dogs should be called cats.

I once had a friend ask me if I would watch her dag, but then reconsidered.

In her words...

"Never mind, your cat would probably eat him."

My reply was, "Well, not until Diesal was done playing with him."
edit on 16-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Right!

And the crazy thing is a Chihuahua and a Great Dane are technically the same species because they can reproduce

BTW here's what that craziness looks like...

Hope the Chihuahua's ok

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Poor Dog.

But I wonder how he reacts instinctually.

It may be a good thing.

I have a affinity for mutts myself.

Looks like a shaved Corgi.
edit on 16-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I love mutts, they're generally healthier and have a better overall character than pure bred dogs.

I have a jack russell/chihuahua/dachshund mix

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

I love mutts, they're generally healthier and have a better overall character than pure bred dogs.

I have a jack russell/chihuahua/dachshund mix

Wow! A whole lot of hyper there i would think.

How has your homestaed faired raising him/her?

I would like to breed German Shepards and Border Collies together. Both very smart and very loyal.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yeah, he's 9 and he hasn't slowed down at all. Very alert and will bark at any strange noise he hears at night...He's a great hunter as well
I take him to a farm about once a month and he goes crazy chasing squirrels and field rats.

Border Collies are great dogs, but if you are planning on getting one be sure to provide them with plenty of exercise or they will tear your house apart!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join