It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gangnam Style!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I'm old.. Not too old that I need help crossing the road, but old enough that people think I'm a cleaner if I walk into a school. O.o

So I'm a little confused about this entire gangnam thing.

I know, when I was young, my elders used to tell me the music I listened to sounded like the speakers had blown on the stereo. "No dad, thats heavy metal. That's Cliff Burton playing a Bass solo!!" but he'd just look at me.

My music was noise I loved it.

But now I listen to the radio and I want to punch puppies. I mean, it's not just noise, it's actually almost a parody of what we thought the world would be like in the future.

I DON'T GET THIS GANGMAN STYLE. Why is it so popular? I can understand if it was just a few people saying "OH god I cant get that tune out of my head!" but now we've got that guy Psy or whatever, coming to Australia. WHY? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY? WHO CARES??? WHO CARES *THAT MUCH* ????????

I'm flabbergasted. I heard this on the morning news. You know, "hundreds tragically killed in a flood, starving children in Africa, terrorists shooting 15 year old girls, oh and gangnam style is coming to you!"

It's not like we hit a certain age and suddenly a light goes off in our head making all the music of the new fangled age irritating and obnoxious..

I still have my metal. I still hear my old mums classical music. It still sounds like classical music. I've not developed an affinity towards tea, either.

So... the only possible conclusion that I've been able to come to is... with every generation, music simply degrades. Literally, it stops being music. It's the sounds of zap zap whizzap, and someone pretending to ride an invisible horse.

What is next? Can you imagine a world where the children of gangnam have their very own music? How odd and alien it will be.

Probably listening to static electricity while high on lemon synth. I'll waddle out of the retirement villiage ranting "Someones got the radio on the wrong frequency. Fix the dang radio you kids." and they'll stare at me and txt at me "o shtp gd. u n r old... |+|"

leaving me confused and perplexed and wondering if I've taken my dementia meds or of the world really has become one huge chat room without @operators...

when a man in korea says "I dunno what it means. I just made it up" and he becomes a world famous artist for it.

GOD HELP US ALL.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Its the beat.

Then the pause.

Then the beat.

Then the pause.

Then the beat again.

It's really that simple. Popular music today is so damn crappy, something like Psy is refreshing to the masses ears.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

It is not because you are getting older, Gangnam Style is horrible no matter what age you are. The dance is even worse. It literally makes me...passionately angry is the nicest way I'll put it.
To me it is as bad as dubstep and here comes Honey Boo Boo.
What has the world come to?
to Gangnam Style.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

It's really that simple. Popular music today is so damn crappy, something like Psy is refreshing to the masses ears.

You are right. It's sad. What happened to the days when music was made by instruments, not computers, and lyrics were actually thought out, not just the dullest ignorant nothingness they are today? Why is stupid and talentless the new cool?
Okay, I'll stop ranting, sorry!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Dear winofiend,

Let me start by saying that I found the song cute, not great; but, amusing. My mother loved all music, she even had Marching band albums, John Phillip Souza. She knew the Beatles were going to be great before they had come to America. My mother taught me that there was greatness in all genres, that is why they become a genre. I was listening to rap before it had a name and to punk rock before it had a name. The other thing my mother taught me was that 95% of all art was garbage. 5% is original and from the heart, the other 95% are just copying.

I will now challenge you. Whatever your favorite genre of music is, how much of the genre was great and why did only 5% survive? The guy behind the song didn't expect it to be heard outside of Korea, it was a joke, he is a very amusing fellow in interviews. He is sort of their Weird Al Yankovic. If you were Korean and you found a Weird Al Yankovic music video and it amused you, would you grade on it's musical genius or it's amusement factor. It is much harder to get people to laugh then it is to get them to cry. I preach sermons, trust me on this.

Every decade or so, a stupid song becomes overly popular because social beings need a laugh together. I like Psy and his little song, it is stupid as it can be and he meant it to be. Gangnam is like Beverly Hills, he was making fun of stuck up people. He is short and tubby and he makes fun of it. How can you not like a man that can write catchy little toons that are amusing, even to people that don't know what he is saying. Peace.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
wow, i never would have expected such hatred for a song.

I personally think its brilliant. The beat is catchy, the dance is fun, and its an overall positive message.

Most pop music anymore is talking about sex, drugs, how much money you have, and violence. Whats wrong with a positive song, with positive lyrics? It may not be in english, but who cares?

I can understand why some people might not like it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. If you are hearing it on the radio, quit listening to radio stations that play music you dont like.

IMO people who outwardly and strongly hate anything are just doing so, so that people dont think they actually kinda like it. Thats just my 2 cents.

DC

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is the result and the reason for shutting down the sharing sites, they weren't concerned about the money, it was all about controlling what you can hear.
While they have TOTAL control we'll be fed non stop garbage like you describe in your OP, gone are the days of protest songs that might pass on a message.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
IMO people who outwardly and strongly hate anything are just doing so, so that people dont think they actually kinda
like it. Thats just my 2 cents.

DC

Ahh you got me
I can't pull the wool over you it seems. Too good for me I'm a closet ganger..

If this "music" had been given it's natural life, and not been put on the tv, radio, magazine, news paper, etc as much as seemingly possible, all over the planet, not by people who like it, but by the media.. then if it had as much attention given to it, I'd be inclined to agree with you. if it was found by chance in the wild.. I wouldn't feel this way.

But it's wasn't. It's been artificially made popular. A bit like everyone saying "Oh it's a tarnatino movie, it will be great!" and then you see reviews about how great it is, and you see interviews with stars and they all say how great he is.. then you watch one and think "WTF? that was crap."

over hyped, artificially produced tedium. -- just to add, I don't mint tarantino but after hearing how great he was all those years ago, meh.. I still think pulp fiction is only as cultish as it was due to everyone involved. not the actual movie. thats my opinion though.

I put on the radio these days and it's horrible. But I turn that off. Or put on talkback which irritates me almost as much, but at least it's topical.

This is not popular on it's own merit. You think it's catchy, but it should end there.

How easily people are manipulated.. lol..

Years ago we were asked "Have the Australia card?" and everyone said "NO! You will not control my every move." and it was nixed. The public stood up and shouted NO.

So how is google maps working out for all those people I wonder, with their gps phones and facebook updating where they are at every moment. Tweet about that cheeseburger at maccas on the corner of hay st and murray st.

And they think they chose to opt in..
How easily people are manipulated.

Good music is drowned out by the likes of psy and his woop woop horse. But you like it, you will like it. Everyone else likes it, hey have you watch it again today? Lets make a parody of it with mothers and prams.. Hell, even change the words and lets go crazy!!!!

Reminds me of an episode of "Black Mirror" I saw recently.. 15 million merits. People forced to listen to adverts and music and watch "Hot Shot" or have to pay a fine. Everyone wants to be on Hot Shot. Earn enough credits and you can win a ticket.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Its the beat.

Then the pause.

Then the beat.

Then the pause.

Then the beat again.

That itself says exactly what I was saying, I think.. lol.. What is next..

o.O

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katharos62191

It is not because you are getting older, Gangnam Style is horrible no matter what age you are. The dance is even worse. It literally makes me...passionately angry is the nicest way I'll put it.
To me it is as bad as dubstep and here comes Honey Boo Boo.
What has the world come to?
to Gangnam Style.

OHHHH Good lord honey booboo.. *THAT* epitomises my point. What a dire dismal world we live in that popularity is as offensive as the people we cannot get enough of.

See, there's the thing too, bout dub step. Sure it has a fan base. But it's limited to people who seek it, or catch it from friends. I can't recall ever having to turn the radio off due to dub step. I don't have to avoid it, because it's life is it's own, meandering to those who enjoy it.

If it was forced onto the tv at 7:30 am with grinning idiots trying to pass off as news presenters or if it was continually touted as "New viral video taking the world by storm" then I bet we'd see a lot of rant threads about it.

Lady gaga, bieber, one direction, etc.. ALL artificially popularised so that when you first hear about them, you go "Oh they are popular. I should listen to them!" -- instant fan base. Just tell them you're a fan.

It's so obvious, it's devastatingly obvious. Instead of waiting for talent to appear, make it, market it, sell it and call it a success.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Don't worry, it's just a dance craze, and dance crazes don't usually last for very long/ Remember break dancing? No? What about line dancing? No?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katharos62191

You are right. It's sad. What happened to the days when music was made by instruments, not computers, and lyrics were actually thought out, not just the dullest ignorant nothingness they are today? Why is stupid and talentless the new cool?
Okay, I'll stop ranting, sorry!

Haha, a rant by any other name is still a rant.

Ahh 'twas only a light hearted rant on my part, before I head out. didn't expect any replies tbh lmao.

Off to wind up my gramaphone and find that damn beetleshell record of mine..

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Don't worry, it's just a dance craze, and dance crazes don't usually last for very long/ Remember break dancing? No? What about line dancing? No?

Man what timing - if they had been around during the youtube era, we'd be utterly devastated by now.

I knew I sounded like my old man... lol

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
My wife is Korean and her family has a farm in Gangnam. Grapes and such.

It's a province in Korea.

But even she has something to say on the subject.

And that is....What the ^$*#(@&???

I love her dearly!

Peace

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
I will now challenge you. Whatever your favorite genre of music is, how much of the genre was great and why did only 5% survive? The guy behind the song didn't expect it to be heard outside of Korea, it was a joke, he is a very amusing fellow in interviews. He is sort of their Weird Al Yankovic. If you were Korean and you found a Weird Al Yankovic music video and it amused you, would you grade on it's musical genius or it's amusement factor. It is much harder to get people to laugh then it is to get them to cry.

Oh I don't doubt his intentions were good, not at all. He's even said that he's just a local Korean act that do crazy dances etc.

It's not that I'm taking issue with, it's the way it's been globalised. I didn't hear anything about this until I saw it on the news, yes the news.. as a side article, but it was as if they were selling the cure for cancer.

As if they can't wait to tell us all about it, we're interested, we're going to love it. not once, but constantly. Until it's so entrenched in the day that you don't even think twice about it being there...

Why is it there? I didn't particularly think it was that good. So how did it become so popular, when I'd never heard of it. Unlike my music, I don't expect it to be on the tv. Hell I was even astounded many years ago when I heard the local radio play some AC/DC. Unheard of.

there is a very concerted effort to manufacture and market anything these days. and as the initial "WTF?" moment fades we forget how it's now become part of now.

We're no long consumer demand based. We don't browse any more. They don't sell us products any more, We're the product.. They tell us how great something is before we even see it, and by then we're already buying it because we think we're in control of our own decisions.

I preach sermons, trust me on this.

Yessir.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Lets link to the song so that people can decide if it is just a joke and fun. PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (강남스타일) M/V

Wope, wope, wope, wope, wope, gangnam style in the military.

Here is the United States Naval Academy, Gangnam style.

YouTube - Gangnam Style - USNA Spirit Spot

A musician that can make the world laugh when maybe 1% even know what he is saying is good music by me.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Dear winofiend,

Ohhhh, it doesn't matter if it is sermons or not, public speaking on a regular basis and trying to get people to laugh is much harder than trying to get people to cry. A sad story will make people cry, a funny story does not always work if you deliver it badly. You can mess up a funny joke; but, a truly sad story is still sad.

As for how it became big, I don't know. I don't watch television and haven't for years. Not quite true, I watch 12 hours a year weather I need it or not. LOL. My point was simple, Weird Al is just a comedian; but, he makes fun music and amusement has value apart from the musical value of a song. We have many amazing musical artists right now, music is not dead. While I have listened to RAP since it's beginning, most is garbage; however, I dare anyone to tell me that Eminem has no talent. I hated disco; but, I dare anyone to tell me that Donner Summer could carry a tune. Music morphs and continually changes and most of it is garbage and every genre has a genius.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
wow, i never would have expected such hatred for a song.

I personally think its brilliant. The beat is catchy, the dance is fun, and its an overall positive message.

Most pop music anymore is talking about sex, drugs, how much money you have, and violence. Whats wrong with a positive song, with positive lyrics? It may not be in english, but who cares?

I can understand why some people might not like it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. If you are hearing it on the radio, quit listening to radio stations that play music you dont like.

IMO people who outwardly and strongly hate anything are just doing so, so that people dont think they actually kinda like it. Thats just my 2 cents.

DC

Well, there is sex, money and violence in this video so while I don't understand the Korean lyrics, the video it's self and the english lyrics voids your statement.

However the point of this song is that it is silly! It's humorous.
If you watch the video you will see things along with the silly dancing, that it's obviously meant to be funny.
Him in the sauna in a very girly towel cozying up to the other guy, him sitting on the toilet with his pants down ect.

I hope that explains it. Every time I see it I catch something I missed the previous time that makes me laugh.
By the way, I hate pop. I am a metal girl all the way. It's not the music it's the video.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo its music mind control to make you dance like an idiot gangnam style

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I tend to listen to digital music, so I tend to be a bit behind on what's "new". At any rate, about a month ago I opted to turn on the radio for the first time in a few months. It came on and some gawd awful pop music came streaming out at me. Rap mixed with disco, and maybe some power tools involved? At any rate my finger immediately shot out for the preset button to get it to my local rock station.

My finger hit the button and nothing happened. Nothing changed. Same damned song.

My eyes flew to the display and sure enough, the radio was set correctly.... 96.1. The only new rock station in my area.

My mind went blank. I quite literally was in a state of shock.

A few hours later, when I got home, I immediately hit the Google and discovered that the only decent rock station in Atlanta was gone. It had turned pop. We still have a couple of "oldies" stations that play only rock from the seventies and eighties - or pop rock from the eighties and nineties. But nothing crunchy or hard. Oh, and we still have one "alt rock" station, with a weak signal, but they only play the kind of stuff that Carson Daily has on his show at three in the morning. LA trendy stuff that doesn't really sound much like rock to begin with. Stuff that doesn't connect with me at all.

Cliff playing "Anesthesia, Pulling Teeth" is a world away now. I can listen to it digitally. What surprises me is that I actually miss some of the stuff I was mocking just a few years back. Suddenly I find myself wishing I'd hear Limp Bizkit on a radio. At least that might mean that the next song would be something in my wheelhouse. But, alas, station to station to station...

Rap, pop, rap, country, rap, pop, pop, country, pop, rap... It's all gone Gangam.

~Heff

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join